Early Off-Season Discussion

MOSteelers56

I know this is way too early to be talking about this, but I know it happens. This website is called Footballs Future after all. I mainly made this topic because I wanted to discuss the idea of drafting competition for Kenny. It may be too early, but I think this year provides an excellent opportunity to make that call in the figure of Jayden Daniels from LSU. This is a guy you may be able to get in the 2nd round. He's got a lot of traits present in great NFL QBs. He does have weaknesses, no doubt, but we're potentially talking about a premium guy who could be had for a non-premium price. 

So, this thread could also be used for prospect discussion, as well as FA talk, coaching staff turnover, positions of need, and directions you'd like to see the team go. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, AFF said:

They’re going to give Pickett another year especially after they hire a new OC this offseason…theyll add another OL or 2 with FA/Draft.

Easy cuts right now are Robinson and Chuks for $18 mill in cap space.

I think this will be the path.  I think RT might come via FA.  I think you can get better than Chuks at the same price but FA is thin there.  So maybe you look C because there’s upgrades there at Cole’s cost.  Worst case you draft a RD3 RT, start the year with 65 at LT and 77 at RT, then bring in the rook when 65 just flames out.  ARob is an easy cut. I really think DJ is the roughest call of the offense - He’s good and makes a difference, but I do think he’s going to be really hard to keep after his contract is up.  So do you trade him this offseason and let someone else deal with the extension, or do you hope to work one out?  Does he even want to stay here or does he want to go somewhere where he could be a WR2 who feasts?

I’d go Conner Willliams at OC.  I think everyone knows now that I have a hard on for Higgins at WR1.5. But Jeudy, Sutton, Aiyuk, and Godwin are all on teams with cap issues that we could bring in via trade.

I think if you are thinking QB it’s either to replace Kenny (so high 1st) or depth (5th or lower).  I think a Mid-round QB to challenge Kenny just keeps you mid overall and wastes a pick.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

I think this will be the path.  I think RT might come via FA.  I think you can get better than Chuks at the same price but FA is thin there.  So maybe you look C because there’s upgrades there at Cole’s cost.  Worst case you draft a RD3 RT, start the year with 65 at LT and 77 at RT, then bring in the rook when 65 just flames out.  ARob is an easy cut. I really think DJ is the roughest call of the offense - He’s good and makes a difference, but I do think he’s going to be really hard to keep after his contract is up.  So do you trade him this offseason and let someone else deal with the extension, or do you hope to work one out?  Does he even want to stay here or does he want to go somewhere where he could be a WR2 who feasts?

I’d go Conner Willliams at OC.  I think everyone knows now that I have a hard on for Higgins at WR1.5. But Jeudy, Sutton, Aiyuk, and Godwin are all on teams with cap issues that we could bring in via trade.

I think if you are thinking QB it’s either to replace Kenny (so high 1st) or depth (5th or lower).  I think a Mid-round QB to challenge Kenny just keeps you mid overall and wastes a pick.

I think they’ll only trade him if they trade for another WR…(I like Aiyuk assuming no Jefferson)…I don’t think they’ll take away weapons from Pickett without a suitable replacement.

Edit…in terms of OL free agent I haven’t got that far yet.

Edited by AFF
  • Like 1

Yeah.   As annoyed as I get with our QB room, I dont see much changing in 24.    They may bring in someone to challenge Rudolph, but Pickett and Trubisky are likely set.    We only save like $3m cutting Mitch ($4m dead cap), but save about $6m in 25.   Terrible deal, but I doubt we cut him until 25.

I vow this right now though....if Canada isnt replaced, I will not watch one single minute of Steelers football in 24.   

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, AFF said:

I think they’ll only trade him if they trade for another WR…(I like Aiyuk assuming no Jefferson)…I don’t think they’ll take away weapons from Pickett without a suitable replacement.

Edit…in terms of OL free agent I haven’t got that far yet.

Very much agreed, I think that’s what DJ is the rock/hard place convo.  Like, if you let him go you need to get one of those young vets, but if you keep him he might end up costing way too much on $C3.  I don’t think he’ll move on a 1:1 deal (I don’t think that’s what your alluding to) but maybe the round about, DJ for a ‘24 2nd/3rd, then a ‘24 2nd+ for Aiyuk.

I wouldn’t mind swinging a trade for a WR or signing one while dealing away DJ and then draft a mid round high upside guy that could challenge Pickens in case he acts up.

16 minutes ago, 43M said:

Yeah.   As annoyed as I get with our QB room, I dont see much changing in 24.    They may bring in someone to challenge Rudolph, but Pickett and Trubisky are likely set.    We only save like $3m cutting Mitch ($4m dead cap), but save about $6m in 25.   Terrible deal, but I doubt we cut him until 25.

I vow this right now though....if Canada isnt replaced, I will not watch one single minute of Steelers football in 24.   

I'm leaning towards sticking with this QB room too unless a QB they really like falls to them in the draft

I'm all for building the trenches...so I want to take 2 trench players within the 1st 3 picks + sign a tier 2 FA OL or DL. A repeat of last yr. I wonder if khan can patch-work the secondary like he did the LB core last yr. should probably still spend a high pick on safety or corner to go with the big guys. my dream is for the steelers to be deep in talent and depth in the trenches like the eagles.

Edited by August4th
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, August4th said:

I kinda wanna hold off taking a WR high. I know it's a need, but IDK, I'm kind of burned out taking wide outs in the 2nd rd lol. I prefer they go the vet route there, just don't get someone as washed as Robinson

That comes to either draft capital or cap capital.

For example Jakobi Meyers got 3/$33 mill from the Raiders…I think he woulda been a perfect slot guy for the Steelers.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Very much agreed, I think that’s what DJ is the rock/hard place convo.  Like, if you let him go you need to get one of those young vets, but if you keep him he might end up costing way too much on $C3.  I don’t think he’ll move on a 1:1 deal (I don’t think that’s what your alluding to) but maybe the round about, DJ for a ‘24 2nd/3rd, then a ‘24 2nd+ for Aiyuk.

I wouldn’t mind swinging a trade for a WR or signing one while dealing away DJ and then draft a mid round high upside guy that could challenge Pickens in case he acts up.

Yea DJ to another team for 2/3 and then swing a deal for a WR for a 2 or something long those lines.

I think an established vet is needed.

1 minute ago, AFF said:

Yea DJ to another team for 2/3 and then swing a deal for a WR for a 2 or something long those lines.

Especially one from a good team that’s just capped out.  That’s what I’m so focused on with that because that would likely mean their mindset is in a good place, they know the work.  I just think it’s a room that needs a shot of outside the organization infusion (like it got with Robinson) but is actually good so they can lead by example on field too.

As far as DJ, I know he’s not like a 12 year vet or anything like that but I think he’s just a guy that needs a change of scenery.

2 hours ago, AFF said:

I really wish we went after Adam Thielan like I pounded the table for all offseason. He has been lighting it up out of the slot for the Panthers this year. Would have been such a perfect complement to DJ and Pickens.

My rough offseason plan:

- Sign CB Jaylon Johnson and C Connor Williams in FA

- Sign a vet WR. Curtis Samuel, Rashid Shaheed, Josh Reynolds, DPJ are names that stick out to me. 

- draft a QB like Jayden Daniels, Jordan Travis, Riley Leonard, McCarthy, Quinn Ewers to push Kenny. I am comfortable spending up to a 1st on a QB if the right one is there. They probably won’t though. 

- Top priorities entering the draft (in order): Safety, QB, OT, DL, LB (this could be #1 depending on Holcomb 2024 status)

• Like 1

Just now, bigben07MVP said:

My rough offseason plan:

- Sign CB Jaylon Johnson and C Connor Williams in FA

- Sign a vet WR. Curtis Samuel, Rashid Shaheed, Josh Reynolds, DPJ are names that stick out to me. 

- draft a QB like Jayden Daniels, Jordan Travis, Riley Leonard, McCarthy, Quinn Ewers to push Kenny. I am comfortable spending up to a 1st on a QB if the right one is there. They probably won’t though. 

- Top priorities entering the draft (in order): Safety, QB, OT, DL, LB (this could be #1 depending on Holcomb 2024 status)

Oh and fire Canada

29 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

These names and mid round QB all sound horrible to me.