Early Off-Season Discussion

MOSteelers56

1 hour ago, rlon said:

Steelers gain 30 mill in 2024 cap space cutting:

WR Robinson

CB Peterson 

OC Cole

OT Chuks

No brainers IMO, but some might disagree at the center position…

Cole is a fine backup swing IOL but if we do this to him he might want to be released. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, jebrick said:

Benton is crap for NT if you want a NT to play 2 gap and hold the line.  He is a 3 tech.  He plays like a 3 tech.  He picks a gap and he shoot it.  He is not a run stuffer..  Neither is Adams very good at it.  I just wish they had signed Reader when they had the chance.

Reader signed for $10+mm in 2020 and we only had $6mil in cap from what I can find going into FA since we tagged Dupree. And it took a lot of work to get there.

Looking back too we also were playing more of the 2-4 at the time and Tuitt was playing. So with Bud on the tag and Tuitt playing it didn’t make sense to throw more money at the DL. 

Edited by warfelg

PFF is the only mock draft simulator that lets you move positions without having to shoehorn some type of fake trade, so I'm going to do 3 3rd mocks on 3 different draft positions: 9-14, 14-20, and our current position of 22.

Staying at 22:

22 - Emeka Egbuka WR OSU

54 - Jackson Powers-Johnson C Oregon

86 - Quinyon Mitchell CB Toledo

Being in the 14-20 range (just missing playoffs):

16 - Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinios

48 - TJ Tampa CB Iowa State

80 - Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia

Being in the 8-12 spot (really blowing up to end the season)

11 - Brock Bowers TE Georgia

43 - Tyler Nubin S Minnesota

77 - Max Melton CB Rutgers

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I've seen him mentioned a lot. What is he in our defense? 3,5,7 tech? He's not got a lot of sand, but Benton being on the other side might help with that. 

3T. For as little as we use NT we can wait to late and get a pure run stuffer. 

3 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Do you think he can move up and down the line, or is he a 3T exclusively? 

Personally I think he can move a little but with our defense you would want him staying close to put with some shading to either side of i3 or o3. 

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

Cole is a fine backup swing IOL but if we do this to him he might want to be released. 

then trade him. Herbig is paid well enough to be the swing IOL and better as well. Time to get the OL corrected, enough of the usual tomlin OL play

2 hours ago, rlon said:

Definitely want a center, but what would be the odds Tomlin would be willing to start a rookie center?

If they have someone to challenge them. The issue with Green was he was developmental and he had no other option really. If we behind in JPJ or SVP and Cole is still here, then I think they would “win” the C job not be given the C job. 

10 hours ago, warfelg said:

If they have someone to challenge them. The issue with Green was he was developmental and he had no other option really. If we behind in JPJ or SVP and Cole is still here, then I think they would “win” the C job not be given the C job. 

or Herbig goes to C and then SVP eventually 'wins'  the C starter or of course eventually starts due t injuries. Herbig was a great signing IMO, versatile and strong at the point.  If they draft a C , then consider Daniels, Herbig and  SVP and I doubt C will be a concern even if there are injuries. Not often a team has that much legit  depth at C. 

On 11/6/2023 at 7:35 PM, bigben07MVP said:

And idk…taking a stab at QBs with promising traits after what we’ve seen from Pickett so far sounds like a good idea to me. 

Running it back with Kenny and Mitch or signing a free agent like Jacoby Brissett or Ryan Tannehill is what sounds pretty terrible…

I think the pre-draft process needs to include comparing their notes/projection of Pickett, against the slew of potential 1st/2nd Rd QB prospects coming out, and then project out which prospects are expected to come out in '25.

If any of those in '24 project higher than Kenny, they need to take that chance, if nothing else, to push Kenny to be better, or simply replace him, especially if the projected class in '25 does not look to be strong, or anything similar to the class we selected Pickett from.

Not saying that Pickett doesn't get the opportunity to further develop with a new OC, but worst case scenario, we have 2 potential starting QBs on the roster; one of which we can trade for another high pick in '25, when the QB class. 

Sure, it's a gamble, but unless Pickett shows some massive improvement in the 2nd half of this season, we have to consider getting a starting QB who ranks higher than the 30th best Starting QB in the NFL.

Of course, we lose out on the ability to draft a top talent at another position, but without an NFL capable starting QB, what's the point??

On 11/8/2023 at 11:44 PM, mwalker said:

Would like these picks best of those:

16 - Jer'Zhan Newton DT Illinios

48 - TJ Tampa CB Iowa State

80 - Sedrick Van Pran C Georgia

would it be better to get the OL set and control games that way as opposed to helping the OL a bit and helping hte DL a bit  (possibly) ?  It comes down to who they can get in UFA for either Line and go from there.  If the draft is deep at OT, they should get a good one in RD1 or RD2.  SVP might be RD1 /early RD2  then so be it, at least they will be set at C for the next 10 years.  If the FO could draft players like burns, jarvis, bush in RD1, they can draft a legit OL in RD1 as well

CB would be good, but perhaps UFA for that as well since it's such a need and may as well get a proven vet and be done with it. I also expect Trice and Rush to be an improvement over what we have seen this year from some of our CB's.  Porter is CB1 , good to see that is finally taken care of