Early Off-Season Discussion

MOSteelers56

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

looking around the NFL. Any vet we bring in with the hopes to start will be underwhelming lol Daniel Jones? Love, if he does not pan out in GB? Mayfield? mac?

1 minute ago, AFF said:

At that point, I’m trading the farm for a top 5 QB upside type in the draft.

This is the type of stuff in the IGT I was worried about. Talk of going to get a QB just to get one because of Kenny’s performance. We aren’t in place to give up the farm and Jones/Jones/Mayfield/Love are just different versions of Kenny. DJ is don’t throw downfield and take sacks Kenny. Max is throw stupid aggressive picks Kenny. Mayfield is swagger Kenny. Love is just non-clutch Kenny. 

Just now, warfelg said:

In fact - despite the issues I have with him - there’s only one guy in the entire league who’s situation I’m monitoring for a trade that I would do. 

Josh Allen. 

no way he becomes available anytime soon. He's the face of that team and they got a new stadium coming around the corner. PR nightmare to trade him.

7 minutes ago, August4th said:

no way he becomes available anytime soon. He's the face of that team and they got a new stadium coming around the corner. PR nightmare to trade him.

I know but that’s the only guy I’d do it for. Maybe Trevor Lawrence but he won’t be out there. 

12 minutes ago, warfelg said:

This is the type of stuff in the IGT I was worried about. Talk of going to get a QB just to get one because of Kenny’s performance. We aren’t in place to give up the farm and Jones/Jones/Mayfield/Love are just different versions of Kenny. DJ is don’t throw downfield and take sacks Kenny. Max is throw stupid aggressive picks Kenny. Mayfield is swagger Kenny. Love is just non-clutch Kenny. 

The team won’t be bad enough to draft high enough to get a QB naturally.

Im not stating that they have to do it this  year…but the hit rate on QB after mid 1st is terrible.

If you want to give Kenny another year so be it…but they better keep adding to the OL and WR this offseason so if he still fails you can go get your QB.

4 minutes ago, AFF said:

The team won’t be bad enough to draft high enough to get a QB naturally.

Im not stating that they have to do it this  year…but the hit rate on QB after mid 1st is terrible.

If you want to give Kenny another year so be it…but they better keep adding to the OL and WR this offseason so if he still fails you can go get your QB.

I want to wait not to give Kenny another year, rather for what you said. Add to the team. Then make that bold move in ‘25/‘26. Go from drafting 20ish to 12ish and you got a good situation. 

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

In fact - despite the issues I have with him - there’s only one guy in the entire league who’s situation I’m monitoring for a trade that I would do. 

Josh Allen. 

Get ready for some Justin Fields :-) Tomlin loves him some Justin Fields.

And they are not drafting a QB this year.  They may draft one in 2025 when KP is on his 5th year option but not before.

Edited by jebrick

2 hours ago, AFF said:

At that point, I’m trading the farm for an top 5 QB upside type in the draft.

I am genuinely curious now if Tomlin would be the guy to develop a rookie QB. We seem petrified of allowing the QB to, well....play QB. It really just depends. Is this the style Tomlin is electing to play because he wants to, because he doesn't trust Kenny, or because he doesn't trust a non-established. 

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Get ready for some Justin Fields 🙂 Tomlin loves him some Justin Fields.

To be honest, I wouldn't hate this depends on what the answer is to my above comment. If Tomlin TRULY wants to live life this way...bring in a Fields/Willis/athlete styled QB and change the math in the run game in your favor. Build everything around that. Turn George Pickens into AJ Brown on crossers/shots with heavy PA usage. You already have Najee, Warren, Jones, Washington, Muth, Daniels, Seumalu, Heyward, and Pickens.  Pieces are in place to transition to that nicely. 

I am far, far more in favor of finding a gifted QB and building around him, but if we WANT to live this way as a run first team that plays defense....at least do it right. 

And go hire Greg Roman. 

forgot about fields. I can see that being a possibility. no reason for chi to keep him if they draft a QB. we already have a trade history with them. He'll fit the athletic mold tomlin was quoted into wanting a few years ago. Steal someone from the colts or eagles coaching staff to be OC.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, 43M said:

I dont disagree about KP, but I also hate the idea of Canada infecting another QB.   I dont fully blame Canada for KP's struggles since alot of his issues are his own shortcomings, but I dont think Canada has done him any favors, either.

That was my main point is that I am done blaming Canada for KP’s struggles. Although Canada still deserves his fair share of blame for other issues, but he has gotten marginally better as the season has gone on. Can’t say the same about KP, you could actually make the argument he is getting worse. 

5 hours ago, August4th said:

I can see det extending Goff. seems to fit like a glove for what that team is trying to do on the field and locker room. I think they're gonna ride with him the next few years.

I don’t think Goff away from a Ben Johnson/McVay level play caller and behind a o-line that isn’t top 5 in the NFL is a pretty sight.

2 hours ago, bigben07MVP said:

That was my main point is that I am done blaming Canada for KP’s struggles. Although Canada still deserves his fair share of blame for other issues, but he has gotten marginally better as the season has gone on. Can’t say the same about KP, you could actually make the argument he is getting worse. 

Sorry, but Im not buying this "Canada has gotten better" rhetoric Ive been hearing lately.    

First off, thats the logic that got him retained after last year.   That scares me TBH.

Secondly, Im curious where his playcalling has actually improved.   It was dog**** this past week, despite the win.    The biggest difference right now, much like last year, of our offensive run blocking has improved over the weeks, and Canada is getting credit despite not really doing anything different.    Dont get me wrong, I get he was never the only issue with the offense and the players have to do their jobs....but I haven't seen any improvements with his actual playcalling....just an OL playing much better vs largely mediocre defenses.

Third, while Kenny himself is a liability, Canada's offense does him zero favors.   Pretty telling when several players on opposing defenses talk about how predictable and broken the playcalling.    Kenny isnt good...but that doesn't excuse Canada's incompetence.   He still stinted any chance Kenny had of developing IMO.    May not have gotten much better, but I dont think Brock Purdy wouldve fared well under Canada, either.

We both agree Kenny is cheeks, though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 43M said:

May not have gotten much better, but I dont think Brock Purdy wouldve fared well under Canada, either.

Prime Brady would look like crap in this offense. Haha. 

It’s a real issue that we’re in an either or type world. If this offense were the Titanic then Kenny is the dude re-shuffling chairs, Canada is the band, the WRs are the men pushing women and children out of the way, the RBs are those women and children, the OL is the captain and Broderick is the life boats.

The ships going down either way but only two people are helpful. 

Edit: Strange framing analogy but I e been watching a lot of titanic documentaries. 

Edited by warfelg
  • Like 1