UPDATED: 2024 Off-season Thread. Front Office/Coaching News, Free agents etc.

Trentwannabe

Overall I would give this draft a B. I think we added solid depth overall, but I don’t see any home runs outside of maybe Bishop. Pretty surprised we only drafted one wide receiver. Makes me think we might sign or trade for a veteran after 6/1 when we get the additional cap space from Tre White.

Hey guys, it's been a while. Few thoughts on this draft...

I really think we swung and missed big time. Hear me out...

I'm pumped we got Coleman (and traded down to get it). Bishop is fine. But after that ... huge let down. I'm sure Carter will come in and play 20ish plays a game because McDermott rotates like crazy. But was he THAT good that we passed up on some solid WR prospects for him? I mean Franklin, Tez Walker and Javon Baker were all there for the taking... and we didn't even address it after that.

The RB move was fine, he's got some power and he's got some 3 down qualities, but RBs are a dime a dozen, and we have 2 pretty good ones already. 

Then we TRIPLE up on OL, the Center may be worth the pick but the other 2, will likely be camp bodies/practice squad guys. 

Not sure why we didn't even swing for a WR with upside, can't find the next Puka if you don't draft the position. 

We've all seen what McDermott can do with some meh defensive talent. He can keep them a float and even make them competitive. But Josh has probably his worst group of weapons since 2018 when Kelvin Benjamin, Zay Jones, and Robert Foster were the main WRs. Gosh, as of this post we have Mack Hollins slotted to play meaningful snaps... [no god please no gif].

I feel like we're moving towards making Josh a game manager (on steroids) I think you're going to see this offense shift into a run first (60% of the time) mentality. 

As of right now we don't have an offense that can compete with KC, BAL, or CIN in the playoffs. We'll probably win the division, but NYJ and MIA definitely didn't get worse.

I just can't trust the process when the process only gets us to the divisional. 

Hope all is well guys. I should be posting more, now that the site is way more phone friendly! 

Sigh. Go Bills!

Edited by Tommy_C
  • Like 2

Really comes down to if Coleman is a stud. If he is, then we are good. We have Allen, if Kincaid lives up to what we all expect, and Shakir continues to progress…on top of Coleman being really good. Then our offense will still be top tier. We only have 4 receivers and one is Mack Hollins who shouldn’t really see the field. We 1000% are going to make a move at some point before the season starts, just based off of lack of bodies at the position. 

Wont ever hear me complain about drafting lineman. Much more valuable to me than a receiver late. I’d rather the project lineman that could bloom. Idk just me in that regard. 

8 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

Really comes down to if Coleman is a stud. If he is, then we are good. We have Allen, if Kincaid lives up to what we all expect, and Shakir continues to progress…on top of Coleman being really good. Then our offense will still be top tier. We only have 4 receivers and one is Mack Hollins who shouldn’t really see the field. We 1000% are going to make a move at some point before the season starts, just based off of lack of bodies at the position. 

Wont ever hear me complain about drafting lineman. Much more valuable to me than a receiver late. I’d rather the project lineman that could bloom. Idk just me in that regard. 

KJ Hamler is going to make you eat your words!!! Lol

Also maybe Isabella or one of last years UDFA surprises in camp. Won’t be the first time 

Great to see you around again @Tommy_C! 

I think your assessment of the draft is fair. It wasn’t a bunch home run names or anything like that and we all expected to grab at least one more WR.

For me, I think the offense runs through Kincaid this year anyway. Too many people on Twitter acting like Allen is the only good player on offense. James Cook and Kincaid are both studs IMO. Knox is better than most give him credit for as well. 

With a good split of 11 and 12 personnel, a late round WR was never seeing the field anyway. 

1 hour ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Keon Coleman can be KB 2.0, if he gets Waffle House into Western NY I'll consider the pick an unqualified success.

Coleman is a MUCH better athlete than Benjamin (assuming KB 2.0, is referring to Kelvin Benjamin).

Looking at the combine numbers the only thing that is the same is the 4.61 40.

Coleman has a much faster 10 yard split, a much better high jump and broad jump. 

It'll be exciting to see if coaching can help him get some separation against pro CBs

• Like 1

I'm a fan of the Coleman and Bishop picks. I really wanted Dejean with 33. He could be an All-Pro Safety if he can transition to Safety, but Bishop is a nice consolation prize and is a safer bet to have an impact at S. Coleman has a lot of potential, too, so I understand the logic. Big boy, excellent hands, fast on the field despite his 40 time, etc...he should be a better Gabe Davis, and with Brady bringing in more smash mouth football- I think he's happy to have another big body to throw around and deliver blocks. 

Didn't like going RB and DT so early, but going Sedrick and Soloman following those two picks eased my concerns. Sedrick could be the C of the future and Soloman, if not for his size, would be a much a higher pick. He has potential to be a good pass rusher for us, which is great value in the 5th round. 

Davis is interesting, and I believe we're going to continue to see Brady lean on the run game again, especially as we enter the winter months. So, I'm not overly bummed, and there was a big run on RBs after Davis was drafted. Just have to hope he turns out to be a very good compliment to Cook given where he was drafted. He's older, so should come right in and be stiff competition for the #2 spot.

I'm glad they added depth at LB, which will also help special teams, and I have no issues taking a flyer on a late round OT.  

I gave Buffalo a C+ right after the draft, but after sitting on it a bit- I think I'd give them a solid B. Coming away from the draft with Bishop, Coleman, Sedrick, and Soloman has me happy. All of those guys have really good potential and are at positions of need. I graded them a C+ earlier because I had a different draft strategy in mind, which was to use assets to trade up. I see the value in Beane's draft strategy, too. He's hit on some 3rd-5th round guys. It wouldn't surprise me if we hit on a few of those later picks. 

12 hours ago, Tommy_C said:

Coleman is a MUCH better athlete than Benjamin (assuming KB 2.0, is referring to Kelvin Benjamin).

Looking at the combine numbers the only thing that is the same is the 4.61 40.

Coleman has a much faster 10 yard split, a much better high jump and broad jump. 

It'll be exciting to see if coaching can help him get some separation against pro CBs

Also, Hopefully, he won't come with all of the trauma that KB did. I'm pretty sure I read that the death of his mother in 2017 really messed him up. People seem to forget that up until that point, he was a good WR. The work ethic wasn't there, though, and I wonder if his mother's passing took the passion out of his game. Trauma is a real b****. 

Smoot and Jones should provide some good camp battles and vet insurance which is great.

Not expecting anything from Chase but the battle between him, Mack Hollins and Shorter could be fun to watch. Edit: and that guy from Detroit