General discussion thread.

hornbybrown

Just now, sdrawkcab321 said:

do it  

LET'S DO THIS THING NOW!!!!

Draft Darnold AND trade for Alex Smith! Let the kid learn behind a very competent and cerebral QB, who will be the best QB that we've had in 30 years and be worth a LOT of wins just by not being absolutely horrible...let alone very above average, which Smith is.

Come on Dorsey, pull the trigger and pony up a draft pick or two.

Plus, if we get Darnold as our guy in 2019 and Smith is good in 2018 like he was this year, we could flip him again for comparable value.

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

LET'S DO THIS THING NOW!!!!

Draft Darnold AND trade for Alex Smith! Let the kid learn behind a very competent and cerebral QB, who will be the best QB that we've had in 30 years and be worth a LOT of wins just by not being absolutely horrible...let alone very above average, which Smith is.

Come on Dorsey, pull the trigger and pony up a draft pick or two.

Plus, if we get Darnold as our guy in 2019 and Smith is good in 2018 like he was this year, we could flip him again for comparable value.

I wouldn’t draft darnold if we got smith and could resign him long term. Smith is still young for a QB. He’ll be 34. He’s got another 5-6 years. We need talent on the field not on the bench. We don’t have that luxury. Let kizer sit behind him. Maybe he could benefit from a few years behind smith. 

6 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I wouldn’t draft darnold if we got smith and could resign him long term. Smith is still young for a QB. He’ll be 34. He’s got another 5-6 years. We need talent on the field not on the bench. We don’t have that luxury. Let kizer sit behind him. Maybe he could benefit from a few years behind smith. 

Totally disagree. Smith makes us a solid football team, but not a Super Bowl contender. We have picks #1 and #4, with 3 second rounders. Even if we trade 1 of the 2nds, that's still 4 Top 35 picks, not to mention the $100 million in cap room for free agency.

Kizer is not going to benefit from anything. He's a poor man's Cardale Jones, which is saying something.

Give me the 20 year old Golden Child from USC that makes NFL throws in tight windows downfield and can do it all inside and outside the pocket. If Smith has another 4-6 years, then Darnold has another 17-18 years if this thing plays out right.

That said, if we happened to roll with Smith and pass on Darnold, as angry as I'd be, we'd still be in a better position than we've been in 20 years...but that's not a compliment.

16 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Oh man this would be absolutely worst case with me. You really want 5-6 years of mediocrity?  No chance to get a franchise guy. When smith retires we blow it up again and be suck wads for 20 more years? Why if we trade for him I will be extremely nervous until I finally hear Darnolds name.  Such a Browns thing to do.

Holy crap we finally made the sucking worth it. One of the very few times we’re in position to get the best qb and we punt again? Btw both Darnold and Rosen are very much worth it to take at 1.  Uggg please don’t do this to me backy. 

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Oh man this would be absolutely worst case with me. You really want 5-6 years of mediocrity?  No chance to get a franchise guy. When smith retires we blow it up again and be suck wads for 20 more years? Why if we trade for him I will be extremely nervous until I finally hear Darnolds name.  Such a Browns thing to do.

Holy crap we finally made the sucking worth it. One of the very few times we’re in position to get the best qb and we punt again? Btw both Darnold and Rosen are very much worth it to take at 1.  Uggg please don’t do this to me backy. 

I’m not a huge fan of those 2. Alex Smith is better than mediocre. He’s a playoff caliber starting QB who just had his best year ever and was great throwing the ball down the field. We need an experienced vet QB in their prime here. We can’t risk throwing another rookie to the wolves and letting hue ruin them. 

1 hour ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I'm with you bro. Kizer's issues are his ability to read a defense, his footwork at times, and trying to make the hero throw rather than the smart read. These are all things that Alex Smith does extremely well. Mason Rudolph, Lamar Jackson, Ryan Finley, Kirk Benkirk, etc. are all guys that we could look at taking outside of the top draft selections and let them develop while Alex finishes his career here. 

48 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I’m not a huge fan of those 2. Alex Smith is better than mediocre. He’s a playoff caliber starting QB who just had his best year ever and was great throwing the ball down the field. We need an experienced vet QB in their prime here. We can’t risk throwing another rookie to the wolves and letting hue ruin them. 

Not saying he’s mediocre, he’s above average. Saying we would be mediocre with him. Darnold can handle hues offense. So could Rosen. Neither would be ruined. 

9 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Still young for a QB. Yeah he might be 34 but has played 12 season and those early years he took a beating and got a lot of mileage put on him. I rather have him for two seasons and let him walk. Play him next year and than maybe tag him and start Darnold . Let him be the starter by year 3. On paper he might have another 5-6 years but no way I see him playing great when he is 37-38, specially the rough start to his career. 

Browns dont have the luxury to pass up on a chance to get a solid vet and a top tier rookie QB. Browns QB room is Smith, Kizer, and Darnold.  Maybe Kizer develops enough that he could be traded for a 2nd rd pick or 3rd rd pick.

This offseason could be the perfect storm for this team. They can get a long term and short term QB that could be very successful for them. 

8 hours ago, Bonanza23 said:

Not saying he’s mediocre, he’s above average. Saying we would be mediocre with him. Darnold can handle hues offense. So could Rosen. Neither would be ruined. 

We have no idea what Hue's offense is. Not a lot of people do. Its hard to handle an offense when there is no true Identity or philosophy. His offense is basically a 4 vert offensive attack. I dont think any QB can handle that offense because its an awful offense.   

49 minutes ago, buno67 said:

We have no idea what Hue's offense is. Not a lot of people do. Its hard to handle an offense when there is no true Identity or philosophy. His offense is basically a 4 vert offensive attack. I dont think any QB can handle that offense because its an awful offense.   

I know it’s the cool thing to throw Hue under the bus for all things Browns but this isn’t necessarily true. Hues offense has worked everywhere he’s gone. This 4 vert attack is just not accurate. Kizer had so many options underneath if a vertical route wasn’t open. If he could just come off the original route there were guys open underneath. I’ve seen plenty of the all 22 film that shows Kizer just can’t read the field. Guys have gotten open and Kizer just didn’t see them. Now if you want to argue Hue was an idiot for not recognizing Kizer deficiencies and not tailoring to them you’d have an argument. For that Hue was a dipwad. 

Darnold can see the whole field. I think he can run hues offense. 

1 hour ago, Bonanza23 said:

I know it’s the cool thing to throw Hue under the bus for all things Browns but this isn’t necessarily true. Hues offense has worked everywhere he’s gone. This 4 vert attack is just not accurate. Kizer had so many options underneath if a vertical route wasn’t open. If he could just come off the original route there were guys open underneath. I’ve seen plenty of the all 22 film that shows Kizer just can’t read the field. Guys have gotten open and Kizer just didn’t see them. Now if you want to argue Hue was an idiot for not recognizing Kizer deficiencies and not tailoring to them you’d have an argument. For that Hue was a dipwad. 

Darnold can see the whole field. I think he can run hues offense. 

First thing first, you say Hues offense has worked everywhere he's gone. Hues not running the same kind of offense.

• OAK '10- 4th in rushing attempts.
  • OAK '11- 7th in rushing attempts
  • CIN '14- 5th in rushing attempts.
  • CIN '15-7th in rushing attempts.
  • CLE '16-'31st in rushing attempts
  • CLE '17-28th in rushing attempts .

If it was a single vert route to open the middle, it be different. You rarely saw Hue set up route combos like that. Like you think you would a combo of Having Njoke running a seem route and having someone running something underneath it. But you rarely saw anything like that. Hues favorite route combo wasnt a high-lo, Slant-flat, corner-hitch, It was the Vert-vert, or vert-vert-vert. 

I could careless if Darnold/Rosen could see the whole field or not. Running that amount of vertical routes is stupid. To me it just shows you that there isnt a rhyme or reason to his offense, scheme, or game plans. One of the worse plays I saw this season was vs the Charges. Had max protection with two routes. Those two routes were both vertical routes. You would think if you are only going to have two routes can, you would have route combo set up that should scheme someone open, but guess what, he had each guy running very on each side. Not like it was 3rd and really long, it was like 2nd and 11. 

You can just see those numbers, why the hell would your offense be doing things like that when you have a rookie QB and a group of crap WRs ( group improved when CC and JG came back). You say Kizer misses the underneath receivers. Heck the amount of vertial routes Hue ran, maybe Kizer wasnt allowed to throw it underneath lol. 

I pray to god Hue has been sandbagging us or he pulls his head out of his ***, or allows the OC to run his own offense and not be a Hue puppet. 

I choose the Rams ot be my playoff team. 

I am now 0-17 on the year. 

i am going to have to pick up a new team this week., I could very well go 0-19 this year. I am excited by this prospect. 

PS. You can be a Browns fan and root fo a different team during the playoffs and it isn't a conflict of interests cos the Browns never go to the playoffs. It is great it is like having two seasons of football. 

And then there is the Superbowl, then the draft. 

being  a Browns fan is great, so much diversity in interest. 

3 hours ago, Kiwibrown said:

I choose the Rams ot be my playoff team. 

I am now 0-17 on the year. 

i am going to have to pick up a new team this week., I could very well go 0-19 this year. I am excited by this prospect. 

It's like a reverse Survivor Pool.

17 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

A sure fire receipe for mediocrity, the only way to a SB is through a great franchise QB and we have a shot to get one in the 2018 draft and you want to settle for being a non contender for 3 to 5 years. Smith has never won a playoff game, he is a strong game manager, but is not capable of a playoff run, end of story!!!

I guess if you were in charge, you would have passed on Peyton, Rodgers, Eli, and, Roethlisberger and looked for a caretaker QB rather than risk any failler. When you finish last, you get a shot at a great franchise QB and if he pans out, you will get SB wins and you want Smith ???? 

Archived