Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

a thread to discuss options in front of us for eventually replacing Cousins as our starting QB, be that at the end of this season or later on.

Re-sign Cousins for a lesser market rate? for how long? Keep Dobbs, let him go? does Hall have a future?

and of course the Big Question... who to draft in 2024?

ESPN's Matt Miller continued: “Cousins could certainly return, and Joshua Dobbs has looked good since joining Minnesota at the trade deadline. But the Vikings will more likely be using a first-round draft pick to find another quarterback to build around.”

The good news? If Miller is correct, the Vikings will have oodles of quarterback options in April. Draft pundits love to excitedly predict, “Wait until you see next year’s quarterback crop,” but the statement is actually true this go-round.

After the recent five-game winning streak, Minnesota will no longer fetch a Top 10 pick. However, the quarterback class is so deep that the Vikings could explore a rookie like Michael Penix Jr. (Washington), Jayden Daniels (LSU), or Bo Nix (Oregon), for example, outside the Top 10.

The Vikings also have comfort in exploring the re-signing of Cousins or Dobbs — or both — so the would-be new guy need not start right away.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/analysis/espn-projects-vikings?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

As I said in the other thread...and believe they will eventually make the same choice is the resigning of Kirk.  While everyone appreciates what Josh has done thus far, I don't personally view him as an answer for the next 2-3 years. While he could get a Case Keenum-esque deal (who got 2 yrs/$36M from the Broncos after his stint here)...at an inflationary price of probably somewhere around $25M a yr, I'd rather pay $35M-$40M for a year or 2 of Kirk.  I think he's a more reliable option and one I'd want the new guy (who they will draft) to be learning from.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

Honestly, I don't think you know what to do until after the season. We have see how Dobbs performs and how Cousins recovers from his injury.

Dobbs has pretty small sample size at this point, and I'd like to see how we're feeling after 9 games as opposed just the two we've seen.

Edited by Worm Guts
  • Like 6

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Honestly, I don't think you know what to do until after the season. We have see how Dobbs performs and how Cousins recovers from his injury.

Dobbs has pretty small sample size at this point, and I'd like to see how we're feeling after 9 games as opposed just the two we've seen.

to add to this, if Dobbs takes them on a deep playoff run (NFCCG appearance) it'd be pretty hard to not resign him. At this point I'm inclined to believe that KO and Kwesi will rely on each other to make the best decision. If KO wants Kirk back and Kwesi can do it at a number that works for the team, great. If KO says the offense opens up and I can get more out of Dobbs, great. They've earned my trust as a fan.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

to add to this, if Dobbs takes them on a deep playoff run (NFCCG appearance) it'd be pretty hard to not resign him.

While I know it's a different group at the top, it certainly didn't seem that hard when the discussion surrounded Keenum. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

While I know it's a different group at the top, it certainly didn't seem that hard when the discussion surrounded Keenum. 

Keenum was playing "with a horseshoe up his..." that year, and you know it. Dobbs is doing something that through two games, looks way more sustainable. Dobbs hasn't thrown a pass with Jefferson on the field yet.

• Like 1

Cousins over Dobbs every day of the week. And twice on Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. 

Dobbs is fun to watch. But he’s not even close to what Cousins is as a QB. With O’Connell and the supporting cast Dobbs is looking like a capable starter. With O’Connell and the supporting cast, Cousins was a top 10 QB playing like a legit MVP candidate. 

• Like 7

Just now, SemperFeist said:

Cousins over Dobbs every day of the week. And twice on Sundays, Mondays, and Thursdays. 

Dobbs is fun to watch. But he’s not even close to what Cousins is as a QB. With O’Connell and the supporting cast Dobbs is looking like a capable starter. With O’Connell and the supporting cast, Cousins was a top 10 QB playing like a legit MVP candidate. 

*IF he's healthy.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JDBrocks said:

Keenum was playing "with a horseshoe up his..." that year, and you know it. Dobbs is doing something that through two games, looks way more sustainable. Dobbs hasn't thrown a pass with Jefferson on the field yet.

Either way, I don't have belief yet that it is sustainable.  It might be, but I still see erratic ball placement quite a bit with Dobbs that we just don't ever see with Kirk.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Either way, I don't have belief yet that it is sustainable.  It might be, but I still see erratic ball placement quite a bit with Dobbs that we just don't ever see with Kirk.

Dobbs had great ball placement against the Saints outside of that one interceptable pass that Addison caught. Not Cousins level - and if he's healthy I'm all aboard bringing Cousins back for a year, he was playing MVP level ball - but if I'm a decision maker, I'm going to give KO the chance to work with Dobbs. Cousins wasn't who he was this year until he spent a ton of time in the offense.

I guess what I'm really trying to say is that I believe the staff will make the right choice, and if it's Dobbs or a rookie they will make that player the best version of himself within the offense. I will say that I like having an athlete that can add another dimension to the offense.

Edited by JDBrocks
  • Like 3