Quantifying Our Quarterback Quandary...

vike daddy

If this offense is going to be enough of a threat the rest of the year they need to rely solely on the talent of their skill players. Jefferson, Hockenson, Addison, etc need to carry the load. 

So, which QB is capable of getting each of them the ball? The Atlanta game and the first half of the Saints game were great, and we’ll all remember how exciting it was. But the last 10 quarters have really shown that Dobbs is not the guy. 

Mullens is too much of a dink and dunk guy who’s not going to let you utilize the whole field, but he understands timing and rhythm. And he’s going to get rid of the ball relatively quickly. Also, he’s a true pocket passer which likely would mean shallower drop backs, and an easier time for the OL. 

Hall probably gives you the best chance at getting big plays. He’s got the arm to get the ball downfield and he seems to have solid accuracy as well. Like Mullens, Hall is also more of a pocket passer, but he does offer a little extra with his legs. Inexperience is the biggest concern, but his short time against Atlanta did seem to display a strong understanding of the offense. 

If O’Connell is going to continue to call the offense as if Cousins was behind center, which he should absolutely continue to do, then Hall should probably be the guy against Las Vegas with Mullens as the backup. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

If this offense is going to be enough of a threat the rest of the year they need to rely solely on the talent of their skill players. Jefferson, Hockenson, Addison, etc need to carry the load. 

So, which QB is capable of getting each of them the ball? The Atlanta game and the first half of the Saints game were great, and we’ll all remember how exciting it was. But the last 10 quarters have really shown that Dobbs is not the guy. 

Mullens is too much of a dink and dunk guy who’s not going to let you utilize the whole field, but he understands timing and rhythm. And he’s going to get rid of the ball relatively quickly. Also, he’s a true pocket passer which likely would mean shallower drop backs, and an easier time for the OL. 

Hall probably gives you the best chance at getting big plays. He’s got the arm to get the ball downfield and he seems to have solid accuracy as well. Like Mullens, Hall is also more of a pocket passer, but he does offer a little extra with his legs. Inexperience is the biggest concern, but his short time against Atlanta did seem to display a strong understanding of the offense. 

If O’Connell is going to continue to call the offense as if Cousins was behind center, which he should absolutely continue to do, then Hall should probably be the guy against Las Vegas with Mullens as the backup. 

I’d go with Hall as the starter too though I think Dobbs would be the better backup than Mullens. Sure you have to change the offense with Dobbs but I feel like he may give you more of a spark than Mullens in spot duty, and that’s really what you want in a backup. Dobbs was fun in his first two games but the last two games were inexcusable for a team with playoff aspirations. I’d rather see Hall lead this team to the playoffs (or fail doing so) as he at least has a future with this team, even if it’s Kirk’s backup for another year.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

I’d go with Hall as the starter too though I think Dobbs would be the better backup than Mullens. Sure you have to change the offense with Dobbs but I feel like he may give you more of a spark than Mullens in spot duty, and that’s really what you want in a backup. Dobbs was fun in his first two games but the last two games were inexcusable for a team with playoff aspirations. I’d rather see Hall lead this team to the playoffs (or fail doing so) as he at least has a future with this team, even if it’s Kirk’s backup for another year.

I have to say I agree with every line in this post.

The biggest issue I would have with having Dobbs as the 2nd QB behind either Hall or Mullens is that I don’t think he’s the best option to run the game plan. A team doesn’t have time to install multiple game plans, and the type of game plan that is going to be created for Hall/Mullens isn’t going to work towards Dobbs’ strengths. In fact, based on the Chicago game, it’s probably going to lean more into his weaknesses. If Dobbs has to play because of an injury to Hall or Mullens, then you’re likely hoping for a repeat of the Atlanta game where he’s playing off of pure instinct and luck. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, SemperFeist said:

The biggest issue I would have with having Dobbs as the 2nd QB behind either Hall or Mullens is that I don’t think he’s the best option to run the game plan. A team doesn’t have time to install multiple game plans, and the type of game plan that is going to be created for Hall/Mullens isn’t going to work towards Dobbs’ strengths. In fact, based on the Chicago game, it’s probably going to lean more into his weaknesses. If Dobbs has to play because of an injury to Hall or Mullens, then you’re likely hoping for a repeat of the Atlanta game where he’s playing off of pure instinct and luck. 

I guess I’d rather just throw the game plan out the window if the backup has to go in. Seems Dobbs was at his best when he barely knew the offense and we were just kind of improvising on the fly. Not ideal, but it never is when you lose a starting QB. 

• Like 2

“The Vikings are on a bye this week, but a league source said Jefferson is expected to practice in full and be ready to play against the Raiders in Week 14. The next big question will be, who is throwing the ball to him? Josh Dobbs or Nick Mullens. My early sense is the team will be sticking with Dobbs. The team is back in the building on Monday,” Dianna Russini of The Athletic wrote on Saturday.

Others like Star Tribune’s Ben Goessling and former NFL quarterback Chris Simms have predicted Mullens will get the start in Las Vegas. The Athletic says Dobbs. O’Connell should have a decision sometime in the middle or late next week.

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/qb-decision-has?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

if Dobbs does start, i would at least hope he's on a very short leash. or perhaps tether would be a better NASA approved term.

Many Vikings analysts believe Mullens will get the nod. Star Tribune’s Ben Goessling, for example, said this week about Mullens as QB1 after the bye, “If your biggest issue is we’re turning the ball over, we’re not executing our offense the way we want it to run. The best way to get some semblance of that back is to put in the guy that has the most experience in your offense… a guy that can play the offense in a somewhat similar fashion to Kirk Cousins. A guy that Kirk Cousins has praised as helping him learn the nuances of the offense.”

https://vikingsterritory.com/2023/news/top_news/flores-as-an-hc?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm

20 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I don't know what anyone sees as a positive in having Nick Mullens as your starting QB.  I just don't. 

He's played more football than Dobbs and Hall combined. He has spent the most time in the offense. He has the highest floor of any of the options. If you want consistency and the best chance to win the games you need to win, Mullens is the guy. Had he not been injured, the Dobbs trade never happens and Hall never sees the field. Plain and simple. 

4 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

He's played more football than Dobbs and Hall combined. He has spent the most time in the offense. He has the highest floor of any of the options. If you want consistency and the best chance to win the games you need to win, Mullens is the guy. Had he not been injured, the Dobbs trade never happens and Hall never sees the field. Plain and simple. 

You sure?  Dobbs has started a lot of games in a row.  Mullens, if I recall, has spot starts and coming into games when Garappollo got injured.