LA Rams: Gameday Thread

MDY10

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

Make it make sense.

He plays out his deal and walks in FA. We earn a comp pick.

We trade him for likely pennies and lose the face of our defense post-AD. Im legit irate over this. It makes no sense.

Right there with ya. There's no way we get a high enough pick back to warrant the move. One of the dumbest moves Mcvay/Snead has made IMO. 

I don’t think he was playing without a new deal. Rams called his bluff. They learned from Cooks, Goff, Gurley and co. They wanted to see what he could do without Donald. Ernest wanted security. I think we’ll be fine. LBs has always been our weakest position. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, El Ramster said:

I don’t think he was playing without a new deal. Rams called his bluff. They learned from Cooks, Goff, Gurley and co. They wanted to see what he could do without Donald. Ernest wanted security. I think we’ll be fine. LBs has always been our weakest position. 

He had to play. The CBA in the NFL is the opposite on NBA and these guys cant hold out. Especially linebackers who arent All-Pro.

Just now, BStanRamFan said:

He had to play. The CBA in the NFL is the opposite on NBA and these guys cant hold out. Especially linebackers who arent All-Pro.

Well then something happened that we might not know about. Maybe the number was high? I’m ok with it. You won’t find a bigger Ernest fan than me. I’ve been riding that dude hard af. But they must really be high on Speights… They must see something they love.. Ernest durability is what made him so good though and his speed along with his blitzing capability. I wish him the best, best mlb since will. But we’ll be aight. 

We’ll probably be running a lot of 4 safety defenses with 2 Lbs. 

4 minutes ago, El Ramster said:

Well then something happened that we might not know about. Maybe the number was high? I’m ok with it. You won’t find a bigger Ernest fan than me. I’ve been riding that dude hard af. But they must really be high on Speights… They must see something they love.. Ernest durability is what made him so good though and his speed along with his blitzing capability. I wish him the best, best mlb since will. But we’ll be aight. 

We’ll probably be running a lot of 4 safety defenses with 2 Lbs. 

Giving away the leader of your defense, the year after AD retires, because an UDFA looked good in the preseason is dumb. There's no defending it. 

Unless his knee is going to force him to retire before the season, this was moronic. 

Just now, JonStark said:

Giving away the leader of your defense, the year after AD retires, because an UDFA looked good in the preseason is dumb. There's no defending it. 

Unless his knee is going to force him to retire before the season, this was moronic. 

Bro it’s not that serious. There’s only one loss that hurt us and that was Donald. We were middle of the pack D. We’ll be ok. It’s not like we lost prime Lewis, Urlacher or even a Pat McQueen. Ernest is good.. Really good. But we’ll be alright. You’re stressing like crazy. we lost Jalen last year and yet Witherspoon played unreal for us. Chill. 

Really struggling to get on board with this one. I don’t care what position they value and which they don’t.. this just feels like a very dumb move to make considering the defense as a whole and how young they are. Not to mention the fact that the return on trades has always been terrible. I understand we sometimes pay extra for teams to take the contract but he wasn’t making much. Who’s the leader of that defense now? Troy Reeder?? Lmaooo I just don’t get it and it seems they aren’t as aggressive anymore in acquiring top talent.

Mcvay better hope we score 45 per game because this has the feel of a bottom 5 defense right now. I don’t think we have a unit anywhere near the top 10 on defense. We will see about the pass rush and dline but we have no reason to believe our secondary or backers will be anything special. Dline is so young and we really don’t know yet. Outside backers look solid but again.. so young so we will see. Middle backers are the worst in the league. Secondary is very thin. I like the safeties but they aren’t anything anyone would go out of their way to have. Very thin at corner and we will see how Tre white does. 

idk. Lol 

Ok here is my take on the Rams trading Jones:

1 The Rams dont place any emphasis on MLB. We can get mad, complain, or whatever but thats how it always have been and will continue to be. We have made it out just fine so I have no doubt we will continue to do so. Losing Jones hurt in terms of perception but just like we got him in the 3rd round and he showed great we can find someone similar if not better. Maybe we have that guy already in Speights who is undrafted so he will be cheaper.

2 From what I heard maybe there are concerns about Jones knee. He has had a history of knee problems so why would you go down that same road you went down with Gurley? Pay him alot of money on a bad knee and he will never be the same? You learn from past mistakes and the Rams are learning from it. Now maybe Im wrong and Jones will be fine moving forward but again a position you dont value at all and you are going to pay a guy who knee concerns alot of money. That doesnt add up in the Rams current regime.

3 This defense isnt going to be built around Jones. My thinking is its going to be built around guys like Kobe Turner, Jared Verse, and Braden Fiske. Then you hope Speights can be what they think he can be and then next offseason you go draft another linebacker in the draft in the mid to late rounds to go along with Speights on the cheap and develop him to be really good in this defense. Its nothing new for teams to look at certain players and say he just isnt a cornerstone for the team no matter how young he is. I know different circumstances but the Colts traded away a young Marshall Faulk when you could say Peyton Manning couldve used him and no doubt the Colts wouldve been even scarier with Faulk on the same offense with Peyton. But then they found James who was great and once he was gone they got Addai who was more than capable. So it all worked out. So I dont think its the end all be all for this defense losing Jones. Its not like he was or moving forward going to be the Rams defense identity. Yes a piece but not the identity. 

4 The only real issue anyone should have is the trade value the Rams got back. A 5th round pick two drafts from now is giving Jones away. But we've seen this picture before so while its an issue its also expected. We know how trades go down with Les. Combined with the fact that players values arent as high around the league as the fans perceived them to be. So now the Titans are going to have to pay Jones the price his agent is looking for so no way they were going to give up a significant draft pick and pay a significant price. Jones is really good but he isnt London Fletcher or Brian Urlacher or Patrick Willis type of linebacker. 

To sum it all up, I trust Les/McVay to know what they are doing. New DC with a new identity with these young hungry players. I feel like Jones was part of the Donald, Ramsey era with Morris as the DC. Now its a new era and its going to be interesting to see how these young hungry rookies and 2nd year players grow together. I look at it like when McVay came in 2017 and the Rams started to get rid of the players that was here when Fisher was the coach like Olgetree, Quinn, Tremaine Johnson, and others and they started bringing in the guys McVay wanted with Wade as the DC. We just have to get on board. Not saying we cant hate that Jones is gone and ask why now when the season starts soon but again its not the end of the world. The Rams season isnt going to be derailed bc of Jones getting traded. The future isnt going to be derailed either. 

Looks like Kyren will be the punt returner. Interesting decision considering his inability to stay healthy. Thought Smith had a good pre season and deserved a shot at the final 53