The Good, The Bad & The Ugly - Raiders @ Dolphins

Darbsk

Didn't see one up for this week yet........

The Good

Defence played far above expectations again. Last couple weeks we thought maybe it was due to the poor offences but no such excuse this week. Especially given we turned the ball over a few times and gave them field position. Excellent effort all round (apart from Peters), well done coach Graham getting the most out of their limited talent.

Spillane, Hobbs and Crosby I thought were excellent, all three played huge roles and are three guys to build around moving forward.

Great to see Mayer and Renfrow involved and adding an extra dimension. 

Pola-Mao looked interesting out there, came flying up to lay the wood a couple times and got the nice interception, we may have something in that young man.

Coaching. Now, I know a lot will be scratching their head at this one and some will vehemently disagree but to travel to an East Coast early game against a Superbowl Contender whilst starting a 4th round rookie QB in only his 4th start with a new playbook a new OC who's also a rookie and with backups at both tackle spots is really tough. Did they make some questionable calls? Yes, for sure, but they also kept the game close, gambled at the right times I though, kept the game manageable and gave us a shot to win at the death which we just couldn't execute. I know some will disagree but I think Pierce and graham in particular did themselves no harm moving forward and I have a lot of leeway for OC Hardegree too. I liked the initial gameplan but I think we just got outmanouvred by a good D and great DC in Fangio.

The Bad

Aidan O'Connell sadly. I'm not going to be too harsh as he's a 4th round rookie and he was missing his one good lineman but the last few weeks other areas of the team have performed and dragged out the win. The Dolphins were a step up and there were times when we needed the QB to go out and grab the bull by the horns and take the game, we needed him to deliver and he just wasn't able. Doesn't mean he's terrible or he's not got the capability to improve but he wasn't that guy today. Vic Fangio and the Dolphins D are pretty underrated so no shame on the young man but it's a dent in his prospects moving forward.

Disappointed again to see Young and Silvera inactive and again only really Butler showed anything inside.

Oline struggled. Hondo Carpenter mentioned that Parham was banged up and we did have a backup LT and RT playing so we do have to factor that in.

Running game just didn't function at all - again I think the Dolphins D is underrated and we were trying not to make the rookie QB a sitting duck so we really needed that firing.

Wilson was pretty anonymous apart from the face mask penalty I though. He's not the liability he was first few games but his development seems to have hit a bit of a plateau, still, lots of time of course, but was hoping he'd start to affect the passing game a bit by now. It wouldn't matter so much if we got a bit more from DT but they're not really contributing that much either in the pas rush.

The Ugly

Watching Marcus Peters prance around out there and tackle like a cheerleader when the other 10 guys are putting their bodies on the line is getting infuriating. Hard to ask guys like Amik and Hobbs who are throwing themselves in there to keep doing it after injuries when one guy is allergic to contact.

The Jaelen Phillips interception was ugly, sheesh.

• Like 6

Good: Thought the defense played very well. We’re probably still outmanned to be going head to head with an elite offense, but the effort was there. I kept waiting for the floodgates to open and they never did. Credit that side of the ball for keeping us in it, without them it would’ve been a blowout. Feels great to finally be able to get some stops. 

Great to see Mayer and Renfrow involved, every time they get the ball I can’t help but think “**** McDaniels” lol

bad: penalties. With our limited QB, we can’t afford to get behind the sticks. Too many killed drives for us and extended drives for them. 
not taking the 3 in the 4th and the ensuing play call. 

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Coaching. Now, I know a lot will be scratching their head at this one and some will vehemently disagree but to travel to an East Coast early game against a Superbowl Contender whilst starting a 4th round rookie QB in only his 4th start with a new playbook a new OC who's also a rookie and with backups at both tackle spots is really tough. Did they make some questionable calls? Yes, for sure, but they also kept the game close, gambled at the right times I though, kept the game manageable and gave us a shot to win at the death which we just couldn't execute. I know some will disagree but I think Pierce and graham in particular did themselves no harm moving forward and I have a lot of leeway for OC Hardegree too. I liked the initial gameplan but I think we just got outmanouvred by a good D and great DC in Fangio.

The game stayed close because Miami turned it over 3 times. Props to the defense that came to play. Graham continues to an excellent job and the leaders, lead. 

I thought the uber conservative, playing for a FG before half was pathetic with the amount of time left. AP said he wanted to protect the QB. Miss me with that when you had him throw it 41 times. Then have him throwing on 2 4th downs instead of taking FGs with a lot of time left. Are you playing to win or playing not to lose? Do you even know?

They went 2 Quarters without a first down. Hardegree was in over his head against Fangio. Kept playing right into what they wanted with short throws and bubble screens. They had Hooper out there as a lead blocking FB when realizing their 11 and 12 personnel wasn't working the same it did the last 2 weeks. As a result couldn't get anything going on the ground. 

Props for not getting embarrassed and showing up on the east coach I guess...  But really not into moral victories personally. Your defense did everything to win this and the game plan on the other side was terrible. They didn't adjust and Fangio took their lunch money. 

59 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The game stayed close because Miami turned it over 3 times. Props to the defense that came to play. Graham continues to an excellent job and the leaders, lead. 

I thought the uber conservative, playing for a FG before half was pathetic with the amount of time left. AP said he wanted to protect the QB. Miss me with that when you had him throw it 41 times. Then have him throwing on 2 4th downs instead of taking FGs with a lot of time left. Are you playing to win or playing not to lose? Do you even know?

They went 2 Quarters without a first down. Hardegree was in over his head against Fangio. Kept playing right into what they wanted with short throws and bubble screens. They had Hooper out there as a lead blocking FB when realizing their 11 and 12 personnel wasn't working the same it did the last 2 weeks. As a result couldn't get anything going on the ground. 

Props for not getting embarrassed and showing up on the east coach I guess...  But really not into moral victories personally. Your defense did everything to win this and the game plan on the other side was terrible. They didn't adjust and Fangio took their lunch money. 

Yeh, I'd agree with that before the half. No argument there. I think the issue was the plays were actually there, like the 4th down bomb we threw Mayer looked wide open to me to get the 1st down. Now, for me, 41 throws looks a lot but when we came to the end of the game that skewed it a bit, plus the line and running game wasn't really working so you're kind of left with no choice if you want to actually win the game.

Our coaching I thought did a good job at mitigating the issues we had and helping to keep the game close but they also got outcoached too, it's one of those where we're limited and did well with what we had but the opposition just had a bit more, talent and coaching experience and it told. Fangio certainly adapted and made it really tough, he's a very good coach but we still had opportunities for plays there and I don't that ultimately cost us, I don't want to come down too hard on the rookie but we asked him to step up and he just couldn't this time.

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

Yeh, I'd agree with that before the half. No argument there. I think the issue was the plays were actually there, like the 4th down bomb we threw Mayer looked wide open to me to get the 1st down. Now, for me, 41 throws looks a lot but when we came to the end of the game that skewed it a bit, plus the line and running game wasn't really working so you're kind of left with no choice if you want to actually win the game.

Our coaching I thought did a good job at mitigating the issues we had and helping to keep the game close but they also got outcoached too, it's one of those where we're limited and did well with what we had but the opposition just had a bit more, talent and coaching experience and it told. Fangio certainly adapted and made it really tough, he's a very good coach but we still had opportunities for plays there and I don't that ultimately cost us, I don't want to come down too hard on the rookie but we asked him to step up and he just couldn't this time.

That was my issue. They abandoned the run in a one score game. And in those spots, that's typically where you want Jacobs to take over. At keep them honest. Worse, Fangio was selling out to stop the run, putting the ball in the rookies hands and Hardegree countered by running screens and quick passes into a defense playing close the LOS. Really felt like he had no counter. Just kept calling it in hopes something would eventually happen. 

Also for a QB coach, he has to coach up the rookie better. His footwork is a mess and he's holding the ball way to long taking sacks still. Really hard time staying on schedule which is causing his passes to be late and off target.

• Like 1

Random thoughts:

These are games that are expected from Rookie QBs in the NFL. They all have them.  Stroud for all the accolades people are giving him, had 3 INTs yesterday too.

If we draft a QB next season, expect some rough games like this too. That’s just the reality of the NFL transition from college. My biggest complaint about AOC when he was 1st drafted was his lack of mobility and it shows.   I’d prefer we trade for Kyler Murray. 

We need to sign a RB2 this season. That was a game yesterday that needed a change of pace back

Regarding the defense, we have to retain Patrick Graham and the core 10-12 players on defense. 
Crobsy,Hobbs, Koonce, Moerhig , Spillane , Masterson, Deablo , Palo-Mao and a few other vets have to retained. There’s no more important coach than Patrick Graham to retain. We can recruit a couple more FA DL, and a top flight CB and perhaps the rookies on defense can develop too (2023 class as well as 2024 class), we can become elite. We definitely need more pass rush winning across the line. Jalen Ramsey won the game for the Dolphins. That’s exactly why they brought him in.

However, the identity is there and lots to build upon going into the year 3 in PG defense 

There’s a tough decision with BO. Now it is difficult to jump mid season as a play caller without an off-season to prepare. Could he be improved with a full OS? 

However, like I said last week before the game, this was going to be a much closer game than the odds had. We almost pulled off the upset. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, big_palooka said:

That was my issue. They abandoned the run in a one score game. And in those spots, that's typically where you want Jacobs to take over. At keep them honest. Worse, Fangio was selling out to stop the run, putting the ball in the rookies hands and Hardegree countered by running screens and quick passes into a defense playing close the LOS. Really felt like he had no counter. Just kept calling it in hopes something would eventually happen. 

Also for a QB coach, he has to coach up the rookie better. His footwork is a mess and he's holding the ball way to long taking sacks still. Really hard time staying on schedule which is causing his passes to be late and off target.

This is a where a lack of a change of pace RB2 hurts us. I agree, there were spots in a one score game where we should of went back to the run 

I enjoyed watching the whole game. Has been times the past two years I turn it off or don't even care if it's not on TV where I'm at. I'm good with whatever direction Mark chooses to go at the end of the season. We are in a rebuild so if we keep AP the need to build an overall team is there and maybe we'll take more risks that pay off or not but the players being picked will probably play hard and have heart. Probably not allergic to off field issues like Carter when a prospect falls in your lap. Probably draft another QB after trading down to late 1st/early 2nd and have them compete with AOC. I think we're stuck with Jimmy because of contract so he can compete but him limited arm is worse than being made of glass. A QB with decent mobility is needed until we build a better Oline. 

If we go with a big name coach it's at least 5 years and if AP probably 3. After 10 year Gruden and 6 year MickyD's I'd rather go 3 with AP and see what he's got. If we're doing it right it's up to the GM that Mark hires. If it's Champ then let him do his thing. It's all Good, Bad and ugly. I'm just happy to see the team playing hard and being competitive. 😃

• Like 3

Great to see the defense be so competitive against a very good offense. Obviously disappointing that the offense couldn’t get the job done. 

Good 

AJ Cole- leagues best punter was terrific yesterday and played his part in helping the D. 

Defense- Great job keeping the dolphins to 20 points, came up with key stops and gave the offense the opportunity to win the game. 

Some very good performances on D but particularly pleased to see Pola-Mao play well, if Epps is out he will have a good chance to showcase further. 

Bad 

AOC- 3 picks hurt and the one to Phillips was particularly ugly looking although it was on 4th down. He did have some throws and gotta remember he’s a 4th round rookie playing in his 4th start, mistakes are going to happen. 

Offense

Run game and passing game nothing was in sync, Jacobs averaging 2.8 you meant we were putting AOC in bad situations, really missed Miller yesterday. 

Ugly

DAZN app didn’t work initially so it was just before HT before I could watch the game…😩

• Like 4

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

for a D that was clearly stacking the box, it was weird to see so many passes at the LOS lol. 
I thought they were definitely trying to set up the double move for a deep shot... but the deep shot wasnt even a double move lol. 

no 5-15 yard routes yesterday which is basically how you beat a stacked box... I think we had 3 PA passes, all went to Mayer for 40ish yards. Not sure why there wasnt more PA. scared about the line?

tough game from the O, and sucks for it to come with the D playing lights out, but its expected. 

Everyone kept thinking the blowout was coming, our old teams / players wouldve had that thought too, but they kept fighting. 
Ill give props for that, this team isnt going to layover. 

Miami, off a bye, on the east coast was always a long shot... most here said they had no chance... well after 60 mins, they had a lot of chances actually. 

now lets see how the respond. Thats all that matters after a loss, how do you respond. 

• Like 3

I didnt realize AOC was 25... put that in the ugly haha, i guess that keeps either penix or bo alive for us as they still both younger.

wonder if there is anyway we can retain AP as a assistant HC, if we do decide to move on, doubt it if its a guy like harbaugh, but if we get a younger O minded HC possibly?

• Like 2

Good:

AP is making a solid case to be a frontrunner for the full HC gig. 

AOC had a rough game against a good team. But he wasn't an absolute disaster either. First real test. He didn't pass with flying colors, but he didn't crap the bed either. 

Defense. Damn good job yesterday. 

Koonce and Palo-Mao need to be on the field more. They pop. 

Bad:

Losing a winnable game that could have been a true turning point. 

Abandoning the run too easily. 

Ugly:

Decisions. We played to not lose, not to win. That's 100% on the coaching staff, particularly the offensive side of the ball. Execution wasn't great, but the flow was off too. Bo lost the chess match with Vic. Not a horrible disaster or even a massive fail, as Vic is damn good, but it shows that we need a better offensive coaching staff than we have. Winnable games are only winnable with good play and coaching. Lackluster in either direction makes them only winnable, not wins. 

Marcus Peters. Just bench him already. He's embarrassing to watch. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Meh if we hit on 1 or 2 of those deep passes esp the 1 to adams that was overthrown it’s a different game. Mia has a legit defense and offense arguably most complete team rn in the nfl. We had a 4th rounder on his 4th start. You were never this critical on jmd lol I knew you were just waiting to go off soon as clock hit all 0’s. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Meh if we hit on 1 or 2 of those deep passes esp the 1 to adams that was overthrown it’s a different game. Mia has a legit defense and offense arguably most complete team rn in the nfl. We had a 4th rounder on his 4th start. You were never this critical on jmd lol I knew you were just waiting to go off soon as clock hit all 0’s. 

True as that may be, his assessment of yesterday isn't wrong. I was as critical they came for JMD, and my conclusion is largely the same:

The run game wasn't great, yes, but how many times has Jacobs had **** games going into the mid 4th before finally breaking one off? It's actually rare that Jacibs dominates bell to bell. 

If we were going to abandon the run, at least make the throws drawn up more than glorified forward toss plays like we did. 

The last play yesterday was something we've seen too much of, too. Not the INT, but the result in that situation. We needed a 1st down, not a TD. In that situation, don't go for broke on a low % play. The route should probably not have been called, but even still, Bo should be teaching AOC not to make that throw and just take what's being given. Our situational awareness has barely ever been good, aside from maybe the Giants game. That needs to be fixed so we're not relying on lucky breaks to close.out wins.