Dexter Lawrence deserves his own thread

minutemancl

17 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Check out Keeanu Benton. Doesn't have the size to ever do it at a HoF level, but he's a true 0 tech and natural pass rusher.

I was high on him coming out of Wisconsin, I love his skillset, and just like Javon Hargrave (who I stood on a table for pre-draft) I hated that he went to a 2-gap scheme. I just don't like seeing guys with that type of skill-set have their talent wasted like that. A guy like Vita Via would have been perfect for that scheme. 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I was high on him coming out of Wisconsin, I love his skillset, and just like Javon Hargrave (who I stood on a table for pre-draft) I hated that he went to a 2-gap scheme. I just don't like seeing guys with that type of skill-set have their talent wasted like that. A guy like Vita Via would have been perfect for that scheme. 

I get why teams go more with 1-gap NTs - running the ball doesn't matter, you have to rotate DL and finding 2-gap NTs is impossible mathematically having to find 2 of them is doubly impossible.

But it's a crime against humanity to watch actual 2 gap nose guards play 1 gap schemes. Toughest position on the field besides QB and it barely exists any more.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

7 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I get why teams go more with 1-gap NTs - running the ball doesn't matter, you have to rotate DL and finding 2-gap NTs is impossible mathematically having to find 2 of them is doubly impossible.

But it's a crime against humanity to watch actual 2 gap nose guards play 1 gap schemes. Toughest position on the field besides QB and it barely exists any more.

And Fullback 

Edited by MSURacerDT55
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I don't think I ever saw Ngata as an exclusive NT, Wasn't he a 5 tech. I remember the NT being guys like Terrence Cody and Brandon Williams 

He played all over their front depending. Sometimes he'd be the 1 tech, and sometimes they'd line him up next to Suggs on the 3-tech as a way to force one on one matchups since nobody could go 1-1 with Ngata.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, MSURacerDT55 said:

I don't think I ever saw Ngata as an exclusive NT, Wasn't he a 5 tech. I remember the NT being guys like Terrence Cody and Brandon Williams 

He played every position. There were I think 2-3 years we played him at NT which didn't really suit his strengths because he was such a good pass rusher and we asked him to just stand there and eat up space which was stupid.

When we lined him up at DE/DT he was dominant

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He played every position. There were I think 2-3 years we played him at NT which didn't really suit his strengths because he was such a good pass rusher and we asked him to just stand there and eat up space which was stupid.

When we lined him up at DE/DT he was dominant

This is kind of the problem and it's such a bummer because it's killed one of the best positions in football.

In order to have a guy who gets pass rush as a NT, you not only need to find the NT which is damn near impossible, but then you also need to go find 3 or 4 other really good pass rushing DEs because the team would be better overall sticking the elite "pass rushing NT" on the edge and getting after the QB. It only makes sense to kick them in if you've already got that monster pass rusher.

Posterchild for this is Ndamakung Suh IMO.

• Like 3

Dalvin Tomlinson has been exceptional this year. No badd games and two excellent games. 

Wr Emerson t come close to beating the 49ers without dalvin.

Also irrc the giants used our obj pick to get Dexter. I wanted dexter and didn't want obj

Edited by Kiwibrown

On 11/20/2023 at 10:31 AM, ET80 said:

Now there's a name I haven't heard in a while, but a great comp. Rogers was 350lbs+ but collapsed the pocket and shed blockers like a man much smaller - you had to dedicate two guys up front and he was still quick enough to split a double team.

Jamal Williams when he was healthy was also a peak NT.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...