GDT WEEK 12 -MNF @Vikings

SLCbear

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

Flores is man.  Though he got soft at end to give up game.  Getsy and Fields couldn’t handle him.  He embarrassed them on national tv and may have personally destroyed Fields career in two games against MN. 

A lot of guys got banged up in this game for Bears.  

Yeah, Flores is a great DC.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Flores is man.  Though he got soft at end to give up game.  Getsy and Fields couldn’t handle him.  He embarrassed them on national tv and may have personally destroyed Fields career in two games against MN. 

A lot of guys got banged up in this game for Bears.  

I'm not sure I would go that far...

My issue is having slept on it I still have no idea if Fields is the better option than a rookie QB...

+ He was accurate on the throws he was asked to make with good ball placement.

+ Never throw an INT

+ Came back from two negative plays to drive down the field for the winner (which after the 2nd fumble I didn't think mentally he would be strong enough to do)

- Had two fumbles (by the way if this is your biggest issue with Fields your not going to want Caleb)

- Was asked for the majority of the time to just throw the ball short

I have learned nothing about Fields in this game because very rarely did we just put it all on his shoulders and ask him to force the defence to stop blitzing as much by throwing it over their heads...sure the 4th & 10 to Kmet and the throw to DJ at the end of the game were good plays but by putting Fields out there and just running screen after screen doesn't show us in any way shape or form what playing to his strengths could look like...everyone knows the deep ball is where Justin excels and always has done and by taking that away you leave the biggest question unanswered...can Fields throw the ball down the field from the pocket consistently?...

I'm not even saying it is all Getsy...maybe Fields really can't win down field consistently...but if you don't give him the chance to how will you ever know? That for me is the reason to get rid of Gesty now and take a risk...if it all goes **** up then you have your answer...but maybe by giving him a chance to play to his strengths you give everyone the best chance to succeed.

I can't believe I am going to sorta defend Getsy but here it goes. The last game against MN we did not use really use the WR screen and JF held on to the ball too long and got killed by the blitz. Maybe he did overcorrect (per usual) to ensure that JF was able to get the ball out of his hand quicker to counter the Flores' blitzing scheme. I think that is on both the playcalling but also on the fact that JF has not shown the ability to get rid of the ball in a timely manner. At this point I'm not sure if it is fair to place most of the blame on Getsy for this particular gameplan. 

Okay, flame away.

• Like 2

Sweat played 71% of snaps last night with 39 in total...if we can get him up to around the 75-80% mark that would be good considering the impact he had...

Gervon only played 20 total snaps...36%...seemed like far more given how impactful he was...looking forward to seeing his breakdown.

4 hours ago, SodeeWater_Cheezburger said:

Don't you think a lot of that had to do with getting good field position a lot of the time?  Another team we can look at is Lovie's 2006 team.  They didn't win the Super Bowl, but they did get there, and that sure didn't have much to do with offense, at least not the passing game.

That absolutely should be part of it but they were still 7th in yards (1st in rushing with over 2700 yards, 20th in passing), led the NFL in 1st downs (because badass rushing attack), and had the 5th highest yards per play. 

The Bears team should have been a dynasty but Jim McMahon kept getting hurt and they were putrid at QB outside of him. Even in those stats they had an absolute bum in Steve Fuller start 5 games and go 4-1. If Jim starts they absolutely score more than the 11 points that kept them from leading the league on both sides. I said it before and stand by that Kyle Orton could have won 3 rings in the 80s with that team. Granted in 1986 Charles Martin being a completely filthy POS and slamming any QB that late could end Orton's season too. 

3 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Last 2 weeks, 8 Turnovers forced by the Defense, 6 points scored on those. Its almost impossible to do

Many Fields apologists on twitter said Bagent only looked good at times because of defense.  They are silent on this.  

Not saying Bagent is great or the answer, but it is telling he has played as well or better than Fields has. 

I am still not 100% out on Fields, but I am getting closer each week not farther away.

Only thing keeping me hanging around is it may be Getsy’s fault.  I just don’t know.  He seems to call a different game with Bagent in there.  Even though Bagent is super raw and hasn’t had many reps.  

The constant late Fields fumbles are really pissing me off at this point.  They are unacceptable.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, dll2000 said:

We threw one pass downfield in middle.  Last one to DJ Moore.  One!  In a whole game!  With 15 min quarters.  At NFL level! 

I coached 10 -14 year olds with 10 min quarters at some levels and that never happened.  

Madness.   

This is not defending Getsy, at all. But there were clearly downfield routes called, probably not enough, but there were plenty of plays which that was the goal. Sometimes the Protection broke down, but usually JF was just hesitant to pull the trigger.

He was double clutching all night it felt like, and instead of using his legs quickly most times he seemed to get flustered. Maybe thats just what Flores can do to him/Getsy, but its stuff that we hoped he would grow out of, but is still lingering. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Madmike90 said:

Every time I see an offence game plan like last night I think one thing...

What would Fields look like in a Bruce Arians offensive scheme?

Results are probably the same at this point. He's so slow to diagnose I can't imagine what he would do with all the 7 step drops Arians used. The deeper routes would open up more running lanes though. 

1 hour ago, SteelKing728 said:

Sorry guys. Better luck next year lol

(But seriously good win, not that it'll save anyone's job)

I blame you and you're dead to me for 3 more days. 

1 hour ago, Bigbear72 said:

I can't believe I am going to sorta defend Getsy but here it goes. The last game against MN we did not use really use the WR screen and JF held on to the ball too long and got killed by the blitz. Maybe he did overcorrect (per usual) to ensure that JF was able to get the ball out of his hand quicker to counter the Flores' blitzing scheme. I think that is on both the playcalling but also on the fact that JF has not shown the ability to get rid of the ball in a timely manner. At this point I'm not sure if it is fair to place most of the blame on Getsy for this particular gameplan. 

Okay, flame away.

If Fields is too dim to be able to get the ball out then you still need to make the calls and try to get people open. If Getsy is getting people open and Fields isn't getting it to them then let Fields get crucified by the media. Dumbing the playcalling down to this extent (if that's what he is doing to prop up Fields) does nothing but ensure that you will condense the offense down to and be easier to defend. This offensive talent isn't amazing but they are way too talented to throw out 12 points with 4 TOs to help them, this isn't a WR corps led by Wight, Bellamy, and Inman. 

Just how some OCs need to be more conservative with their playcalling to try and limit the gunslinger mentality (like how I said Arians needed to do when he had Winston) if Fields is playing scared you might have to force his hand with more aggressive calls at times. But 16 of 37 passes went on or behind the LOS. That was crazy and cowardly from one of the two (if not both). Bagent had less than that in his last 63 attempts combined and Fields' arm talent is miles ahead of that kid.  No other game this season has had that level of concentration on getting the ball laterally for the Bears. 

I wanted to lose but if you were going to win, at least look like you weren't actively trying to throw the game on offense. Defense played their ***** off and the offense played their version of a prevent defense for their side of the ball. Just incompetent and cowardly. It's just gross. 

• Like 1