Week 13: San Francisco 49ers at Philadelphia Eagles

J-ALL-DAY

10 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I see. So 5 out of 12 games, counting the Philly game. There's a chance we are 8-4 after tomorrow so then your W/L prediction would be close to the actual record. Obviously some of the wins/losses being different. 

I'm here to fully support Forge and his quest of becoming Nostradamus and that 8-4 record after 12. The teams that got them there,  Tomato, 🤷‍♂️ Tomato. 🍺

Legit just want both teams coming away from this game healthy, no more major injuries that could derail our eventual 2nd matchup I believe is inevitable later in the year. 

I'd wish ya luck but it wouldn't be sincere.  😎🥃

Go Birds!

Edited by Nabbs4u
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Forge said:

As the game has gotten closer, I've felt better. Especially with weather not looking like it's going to play as big of a role. 

The one thing I feel like I haven't given enough credit to, at least compared to where the profile statistically, is the offense. I feel like I still treat this offense as just a "good" offense. But the truth is that it's top 3 elite, if not the best in the league. I've said all year that the niners go where the offense takes them, but I haven't given that offense their full due. Probably still a  byproduct of Purdy, if I'm being honest. 

I see an offense run by Josh Allen and I'm just like, "oh man, how can we keep up with what that guy can do and how good that offense is". And in truth, guys like Allen, hurts, Dak... They're going to have to play like that to keep up with Purdy and the offense, and I probably need to adjust that

I totally get where you're coming from.

My caveat to that is I don't believe this offense is geared to generate big chucks through the air in traditional drop back situations. 

The run game and passing game are pretty much in lock step. So when we struggle to get a decent clip per rush and are forced to pass on 2nd and 3rd down, the offense tends to struggle imo. Especially if we get a holding or a infraction and we're in a bigger hole.

Most modern offenses and QBs, no matter how much they say otherwise, emphasis throwing the ball. All the rules and enforcement seemed to be geared towards that line of thinking. So when I see Josh Allen continually converting 3rd and Longs and using his arms as well as his legs to move the chains, my thinking is that they are set-up to execute in those scenarios, more often than not.

One of my few gripes about the way Shanny constructs the offense has always been that we aren't set-up to function efficiently in repeated drop-back situations. From the lack of pass-blocking aptitude from the O-Line to the lack of speed and downfield ability from your 3rd and 4th WR, it sures seems that it isn't his intent to make defenses pay from multiple WR sets. And when I look at how Lynch constructs the team, with an emphasis on devoting resources to the D-Line and the defensive front seven overall, it looks as though we're set-up to where the defense is meticulous crafted to suppress any high-powered offense and keep the score close so that we don't have to go pass for pass with a Mahomes, Allen, etc.

So I said all that to say, when we face very good defenses, particular those who possess a stout, run-stuffing D-Line, which I think Philly has, it makes me nervous about the overall efficiency of our passing offense as the game wheres on.

If we can run the ball efficiently, at a decent clip, I don't think it's a question how indefensible our offense is. I don't think there's very many teams who can hang with us in that regard. It's always nerves for me in those games where the run game is struggling, the defense isn't smothering the opposing offense and it's nip and tuck each possession. That's where I see the cinks in the armour.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 3