NFL assigned former Falcons player to officiate Saints-Falcons game

everlong

1 hour ago, everlong said:

I'm sure there was no bias in the officiating as we clearly saw penalties evenly called for both teams..

In all seriousness that is BS and shouldn't happen as it clearly seems like something that could play a role in the outcome of a game.

Just now, everlong said:

Would you want a former 49ers player officiating a Rams game?

It's one person on a full staff. He, alone, is limited in what he could do. It would be a bigger issue if it were the crew chief. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Just now, jrry32 said:

It's one person on a full staff. He, alone, is limited in what he could do. It would be a bigger issue if it were the crew chief. It sucks, but it is what it is.

Yea i get that but he does have some say and could make an influence but unless you have a specific play where he made the call i agree there is probably nothing to see here

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Yea i get that but he does have some say and could make an influence but unless you have a specific play where he made the call i agree there is probably nothing to see here

Listen, I get the Saints fans frustrations, but this is making a mountain out of a molehill. The refs were bad, but it was more than one guy.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

Who cares?

Probably the same people who cared when the NFL pulled an official from a Saints game for having pictures of himself in a Saints shirt on his Facebook.

I remember Saints fans arguing that just because he likes the Saints doesn’t mean he would’ve tried to help them. He’s a professional and has a job to do.

People should ask themselves...

1) Does the former falcons player actually have a bias? Or just a reason that he COULD be biased? 

2) Did he make any subjective calls that changed the game? And were those calls widely criticized?

3) Had another (probably equally incompetent) ref played the game, are you confident he would’ve made different calls?

at the end of the day, all these refs have favorite teams, players and coaches. Being a former falcons player doesn’t automatically make him biased, even in a Saints/Falcons game. 

Just now, domepatrol91 said:

Probably the same people who cared when the NFL pulled an official from a Saints game for having pictures of himself in a Saints shirt on his Facebook.

I remember Saints fans arguing that just because he likes the Saints doesn’t mean he would’ve tried to help them. He’s a professional and has a job to do.

People should ask themselves...

1) Does the former falcons player actually have a bias? Or just a reason that he COULD be biased? 

2) Did he make any subjective calls that changed the game? And were those calls widely criticized?

3) Had another (probably equally incompetent) ref played the game, are you confident he would’ve made different calls?

at the end of the day, all these refs have favorite teams, players and coaches. Being a former falcons player doesn’t automatically make him biased, even in a Saints/Falcons game. 

I agree. Listen, y'all have every right to be mad. But the outcome is the outcome. Just gotta move forward. You'll have another shot at them soon.

I do think the NFL should try to avoid it in the future though... it’s just a bad look and gives people ammunition.

I also think that Saints fans should give this guy the same benefit of the doubt that many of us gave the Saints fan who was pulled as an official in a Saints game.

I’d actually argue a fan who has the teams  memorabilia and pictures on his social media is a bigger risk to be biased and unfair than a guy who played for the team 30 years ago.

Are folks mad because they think he'll give them preferential treatment?

Im assuming they cut this fella at some point, no? I don't know if I'd go out of my way and potentially risk my current job to help a former employer who canned me...

Seems like folks are getting worked up over nothing iyam.

So, insinuation is bias that affected outcome of game...somehow. Got it.

Where did he go to college? This would matter more to me. I don't like any college that players refer to as "THE University of Blah, blah, blah"!

2 hours ago, Yibbyl said:

So, insinuation is bias that affected outcome of game...somehow. Got it.

Just to clarify, only one person is saying that. And he’s not a Saints fan.

Saints fans were already mad at the refs over the game, but this doesn’t factor into that for most of them. They aren’t MORE mad because of this.

I think most of them realize how ridiculous it would be to think this guy would 1) have worked himself up the ladder into a position where he can have a large impact on a game and 2) would actually risk making bad calls in order to influence the game and 3) did it well enough that nobody noticed until they found out he used to play for the Falcons. 

Hes been a ref in the NFL for 15 years, and worked in the SEC and NFL Europe before that. I’d be very surprised if this was the first Falcons game he’s officiated. I don’t see any issues.

Archived