SNF: Kansas City Chiefs at Green Bay Packers

Soggust

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So where does it say that, then? My interpretation of that, is that it's a penalty whether contact is made or not. Not that it's two then an automatic ejection if no contact is made, and then it's who knows what because the rulebook doesn't say anything, if contact is made.

I think it's up to the official's discretion.

Nothing in this section supersedes the Game Official’s discretion to judge a foul to be flagrant and disqualify the player based on one occurrence.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

It would help you immensely if your dumbass would get out of the section labeled "The Field" and look in the section entitled "Officials".

Rule 19 Section 2 Game Administration Support From NFL Officiating Staff.

There you go. Now go cry more. 

So, here is the entire text of Rule 19 Section 2, for you. If you could kindly highlight where it says a punch results in an automatic ejection, which is the point I've clearly been asking about for the last two pages, I would appreciate it. This says they CAN be disqualified, but that applies to any rule violation whatsoever. A flagrant taunt can result in a DQ. I want someone to show me where, as everyone has told me repeatedly, it says that a punch is an automatic ejection. That's it. Not that hard, you don't have to be such a...well, what you're being, about it.

SECTION 2 - GAME ADMINISTRATION SUPPORT FROM NFL OFFICIATING STAFF

The Replay Official and designated members of the Officiating department at the League office may consult with the on-field officials to provide objective information regarding on-field rulings and the correct application of playing rules. In addition, if the designated members of the Officiating department determine that a foul for a football or non-football act called on the field is flagrant, then they can instruct the on-field officiating crew to disqualify the player(s) who committed the foul. Those players who were not penalized, but who engaged in football or non-football acts that were determined to be flagrant and directly related to the foul called on the field, may also be disqualified by designated members of the Officiating department. A penalty will be assessed when a player was not penalized by on-field officials but was subsequently disqualified pursuant to this Section. The determination that a foul is flagrant must be based on the available video provided on the television broadcast, and the designated members of the Officiating department must instruct the officiating crew to disqualify the identified player(s) before the ball is next legally put in play.

Just now, Jakuvious said:

Okay, and that's fair. If it's just official discretion, they deemed it egregious enough, that's a valid answer. Thank you.

That's my best guess. I've seen plenty of punches that weren't even flagged, so I'm not sure where the hate is coming from.

• Like 1

So regarding the DPIs.

You should never call DPI on a Hail Mary attempt unless something really unusual happens (like you want to prevent "everybody tackle a receiver" from being a Hail Mary defense, but other than that....)

The MVS one you probably could have called, but I think it's natural for the refs to swallow their whistles in a tense late game situation and not award a potential game changing penalty.  By the book that's DPI, but I get why they didn't flag it, particularly since they probably realized the late hit OOB call earlier was a miss at that point.  Refs are human too.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

So regarding the DPIs.

You should never call DPI on a Hail Mary attempt unless something really unusual happens (like you want to prevent "everybody tackle a receiver" from being a Hail Mary defense, but other than that....)

The MVS one you probably could have called, but I think it's natural for the refs to swallow their whistles in a tense late game situation and not award a potential game changing penalty.  By the book that's DPI, but I get why they didn't flag it, particularly since they probably realized the late hit OOB call earlier was a miss at that point.  Refs are human too.

As a Packers fan I was shocked they didn’t call that PI on the MVS one. Seemed obvious as can be. Just figured it was a make up call for the late hit call. The Hail Mary clearly shouldn’t be called.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

So, here is the entire text of Rule 19 Section 2, for you. If you could kindly highlight where it says a punch results in an automatic ejection, which is the point I've clearly been asking about for the last two pages, I would appreciate it. This says they CAN be disqualified, but that applies to any rule violation whatsoever. A flagrant taunt can result in a DQ. I want someone to show me where, as everyone has told me repeatedly, it says that a punch is an automatic ejection. That's it. Not that hard, you don't have to be such a...well, what you're being, about it.

Your sure changed tracts in a hurry. 

You went from. "The Unsportsmanlike Conduct Rule says you get TWO punches" 

To

"Well technically, the objection was at the discretion of the officials, so it wasn't MANDATORY" 

Yeah dawg. They've just been ejecting everybody for it all damn season and for most of the last decade. 

Brian Burns got tossed today for the same ****. 

Pacheco being a salty ***** about getting blocked doesn't get him a pass. 

Just now, PossibleCabbage said:

Real talk, I think if DPI was a 15 yard penalty like it is in college, they absolutely would call it on the MVS target late.  I think it's reasonable that refs don't want to award 40 yard penalties in game-changing situations.

There should almost be 2 levels of PI, but it could never be implemented effectively.

1 minute ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Your sure changed tracts in a hurry. 

You went from. "The Unsportsmanlike Conduct Rule says you get TWO punches" 

To

"Well technically, the objection was at the discretion of the officials, so it wasn't MANDATORY" 

Yeah dawg. They've just been ejecting everybody for it all damn season and for most of the last decade. 

Brian Burns got tossed today for the same ****. 

Pacheco being a salty ***** about getting blocked doesn't get him a pass. 

So you cannot point that out in the rulebook. Understood. Thank you for your time.

1 minute ago, packerstk7 said:

There should almost be 2 levels of PI, but it could never be implemented effectively.

Am I a psychopath for feeling this about roughing the passer? Feels like some of these would be less controversial if the cost wasn't as extreme. Treat it like the punter/kicker penalties.

Just now, Jakuvious said:

So you cannot point that out in the rulebook. Understood. Thank you for your time.

If I confess that I can not point to the rule in the book that states it as an automatic ejection for punching. Something I've never claimed. 

Will you admit that you're being a crybaby *** ***** for complaining about the bitter unfairness of your player being subjected to the same rules as the rest of the league?

Or do you need to cry for another half hour? 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

If I confess that I can not point to the rule in the book that states it as an automatic ejection for punching. Something I've never claimed. 

Will you admit that you're being a crybaby *** ***** for complaining about the bitter unfairness of your player being subjected to the same rules as the rest of the league?

Or do you need to cry for another half hour? 

At least we found Chris Collinsworth’s account

Edited by sgtcheezwiz
  • Like 5

As I understand it the rules principle is that there are no things that are automatic disqualifications barring the "two personal fouls in the same category" rule.  There is a broad array of malfeasance that the official has the discretion to disqualify you for after the first time you did it.  Like a good example of this is "contacting an official", an official can disqualify you if you touch them, but they probably won't if they consider it accidental or otherwise forgivable.

Throwing a punch that's obviously a punch is in that latter category.

Edited by PossibleCabbage
  • Like 1