Kyle McCord entering Transfer Portal

Texansfan713

Just now, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Did he? Seems like McCord realized his job wasn't secure, OSU confirmed it, and both sides moved on.

Not a happy ending but unless I'm missing something I don't think there's any cause for hurt feelings.

Timing and tact often play into perception. If I go into my boss’s office after dropping the ball on a huge project and presentation immediately afterwards asking for a raise and security, how is that plying out? Probably not well and I’d be smart to find a new home without a whole lot of leverage. It’s not selling high but it’s one of my only plays.

Just now, MWil23 said:

Timing and tact often play into perception. If I go into my boss’s office after dropping the ball on a huge project and presentation immediately afterwards asking for a raise and security, how is that plying out?

Poorly, probably, but that doesn't make the ask rude.

I don't get how he's the bad guy here.

5 hours ago, MWil23 said:

McCord handled this poorly. You know who else did? Ryan Day.

“McCord will be a senior in 2024. He had a chance to redshirt as a freshman. He played four games early in the season, including a start against Akron when Stroud was injured. Day then inserted him in a blowout of Michigan State in the next-to-last game of the regular season. That fifth game made him ineligible for a redshirt, something that rankled the McCord side. With only one year of eligibility left, McCord believed he had to go somewhere where he knew he would start.”

Day burned a year of eligibility and the kid wants to start and wants to capitalize on money now because he’s not NFL bound, at least not as a Day 1-2 pick.

@ramssuperbowl99 I said poorly and made his HC out to be the bad guy here 😂 

6 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Cause has a favorable schedule and a up and coming head coach. They could do something next year

I have been very pleased with Coach Fran’s recruiting so far, I couldn’t tell you the least time Syracuse had this many 4* recruits and transfer candidates coming for visits 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I agree that it is likely the result will be poor, as in McCord would have to leave, not that his conduct was poor/low character.

I don’t think it’s low character. He’s free to do what he did and I don’t fault him for wanting to play or wanting paid. But maybe not after you lay an egg in a winner take all rivalry game and loser leaves town for optics. Maybe Syracuse paid him well who knows.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, MWil23 said:

I don’t think it’s low character. He’s free to do what he did and I don’t fault him for wanting to play or wanting paid. But maybe not after you lay an egg in a winner take all rivalry game and loser leaves town for optics. Maybe Syracuse paid him well who knows.

He's not in control of the timing. I certainly think it would be more professional to wait until after than to say "hey boss big game against TSUN this Saturday, but let's talk about how I want a starting job and more money now".

30 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

He's not in control of the timing. I certainly think it would be more professional to wait until after than to say "hey boss big game against TSUN this Saturday, but let's talk about how I want a starting job and more money now".

Like I said before, loyalty goes both ways. If Ryan Day doesn’t pointlessly burn his RS and a year of eligibility the year before, he’s a RS sophomore and then perhaps it changes the narrative.

Then again, if Ewers doesn’t reclassify and enroll early with a strings attached NIL Deal, he’s a true sophomore starter at OSU and McCord leaves a year ago anyway.

They need to reevaluate timing on the portal IMO. Look at the Texas kid who made the correct and tough decision to leave his team before he’s left high and dry without a spot or deal before his team can make a CFP run.

14 hours ago, MWil23 said:

we really dont have a whole lotta NIL money, least not more than Ohio St.

12 hours ago, MWil23 said:

Like I said before, loyalty goes both ways. If Ryan Day doesn’t pointlessly burn his RS and a year of eligibility the year before, he’s a RS sophomore and then perhaps it changes the narrative.

Then again, if Ewers doesn’t reclassify and enroll early with a strings attached NIL Deal, he’s a true sophomore starter at OSU and McCord leaves a year ago anyway.

They need to reevaluate timing on the portal IMO. Look at the Texas kid who made the correct and tough decision to leave his team before he’s left high and dry without a spot or deal before his team can make a CFP run.

This was during Mccords freshman year that he played the 5 games and lost the RS year. Sounds like Mccord lost a year that only benefited him because he severely underachieved at OSU. If Mccord looked the part and was the starter this season and next season, he is gone to the draft at the end of the year, OSU is never seeing that 5th yr out of him.

57 minutes ago, buno67 said:

This was during Mccords freshman year that he played the 5 games and lost the RS year. Sounds like Mccord lost a year that only benefited him because he severely underachieved at OSU. If Mccord looked the part and was the starter this season and next season, he is gone to the draft at the end of the year, OSU is never seeing that 5th yr out of him.

You literally just described Joe Burrow who did essentially nothing til his RS Senior year 

I’ve rewatched the Michigan/OSU game like 5 times focusing on different layers with each view.  While I’ll admit McCord didn’t scare me at all going in ( probably had alot to do with recent success and he’s no CJ Stroud) but he has been pretty unfairly underrated. Kid has talent and can play.  People kind of treat him like he’s Cade McNamara or something.  I wouldn’t be shocked to see McCord make it to the league and be better than whoever starts for OSU the next coupe years