Kyle McCord entering Transfer Portal

Texansfan713

2 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Last I heard a few weeks ago he was leaning towards staying. Which prompted the whole 'is Manning/Maalik going to transfer' question. That obviously could change depending how Texas finishes their season and what the scouts are saying about his draft status.

TX has the same issue OSU has had the past 5 years. They have 3 really good highly recruited QBs and one (or two) are likely going to transfer if they dont win the starting job.

I mean if Ewers stays which changes the formula, I don't think Arch or Maalik will be transferring until end of Spring unless they aren't confident they can win the job.  At least with Arch I don't think he's going to transfer thinking he'll beat out Maalik or anyone else that's not Ewers who's already the starter for a playoff team, and if they do transfer it'll be too late for them to start at a school like Ohio State.

9 minutes ago, Raves said:

I mean if Ewers stays which changes the formula, I don't think Arch or Maalik will be transferring until end of Spring unless they aren't confident they can win the job.  At least with Arch I don't think he's going to transfer thinking he'll beat out Maalik or anyone else that's not Ewers who's already the starter for a playoff team, and if they do transfer it'll be too late for them to start at a school like Ohio State.

Yeah thats probably true but the first domino needs to fall with Ewers in order to determine the rest of it. Just like Stroud coming back which essentially prompted Ewers to transfer to Texas, I can see the same thing being true for Manning if Ewers now decides to come back. The question becomes how long is OSU willing to wait to see the draft status of Ewers and if they have a chance to pull either Manning/Maalik from Texas if he returns.

Im not sure on the dates of everything where players need to declare but one would think Ewers decision will come within a month of their season ending. Can OSU hang tight on making any splashy moves in their portal until late Jan? Probably not, too big of risk or they better be very sold on Keinholtz to take that risk.

Edited by AkronsWitness

14 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Yeah thats probably true but the first domino needs to fall with Ewers in order to determine the rest of it. Just like Stroud coming back which essentially prompted Ewers to transfer to Texas, I can see the same thing being true for Manning if Ewers now decides to come back. The question becomes how long is OSU willing to wait to see the draft status of Ewers and if they have a chance to pull either Manning/Maalik from Texas if he returns.

Im not sure on the dates of everything where players need to declare but one would think Ewers decision will come within a month of their season ending. Can OSU hang tight on making any splashy moves in their portal until late Jan? Probably not, too big of risk or they better be very sold on Keinholtz to take that risk.

Ewers reclassifying really gave us a problem but can't blame him for the huge NIL deal that was supposedly presented to him.

I don't think we'll be too aggressive for a QB in the portal to be honest. If Brown leaves, then yes, but we still have him, Lincoln, and Air just tweeted out that he's 100% in and likely will come in January to get an early start. 

I'm not going to pretend I know more than anyone though so I'm likely wrong lol

39 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Ewers reclassifying really gave us a problem but can't blame him for the huge NIL deal that was supposedly presented to him.

I don't think we'll be too aggressive for a QB in the portal to be honest. If Brown leaves, then yes, but we still have him, Lincoln, and Air just tweeted out that he's 100% in and likely will come in January to get an early start. 

I'm not going to pretend I know more than anyone though so I'm likely wrong lol

I am perfectly fine with Brown leaving if he does lol McCord was far from a perfect passer but Brown looked like he needs about 3 more years of polish before hes ready to be anything more than a sub package goal line QB.

Keinholtz has apparently gotten rave reviews since joining the program and he even seems to have the backing of former Buckeyes/parents on social media (like Maurice Clarrett and Marvin Harrison Sr.). FWIW.

People can say what they want about Ryan Day but he is a great QB coach if nothing else. If he cant get you to perform at ahigh level with 5* WR talent across the board everywhere to help, then that is a the players problem not the program or coaches.

Edited by AkronsWitness

1 hour ago, AkronsWitness said:

I am perfectly fine with Brown leaving if he does lol McCord was far from a perfect passer but Brown looked like he needs about 3 more years of polish before hes ready to be anything more than a sub package goal line QB.

Keinholtz has apparently gotten rave reviews since joining the program and he even seems to have the backing of former Buckeyes/parents on social media (like Maurice Clarrett and Marvin Harrison Sr.). FWIW.

People can say what they want about Ryan Day but he is a great QB coach if nothing else. If he cant get you to perform at ahigh level with 5* WR talent across the board everywhere to help, then that is a the players problem not the program or coaches.

With McCord in the transfer portal we might get to see what Keinholtz can do in the bowl game against Missouri unless Day puts Brown as the starter.  Though if Keinholtz has been performing as well you are suggesting, I don't see how he'll let Brown be the starter for the game since he couldn't even take the job away from McCord and was only used for his ability to run much like Taysom Hill with the Saints.  Just enough passing that they have to at least keep some DBs on the WRs but everyone still knows it's probably going to be a run.

• Like 1

Him going to Nebraska would be interesting. If he has a chance to play right away, it’s not a bad move for some of these kids to go to a mid-level program instead of an immediate championship team. Then they can easily be marketed and on demand in the transfer portal after a year as a starter potentially, if that’s the route it goes and they don’t stay put. Going to an immediate contender right now out of high school, there is always the risk anyways that not only do you not play right away but they bring in a transfer the following year to start over you. With the family bloodlines, this would make sense.

2 hours ago, NateDawg said:

Him going to Nebraska would be interesting. If he has a chance to play right away, it’s not a bad move for some of these kids to go to a mid-level program instead of an immediate championship team. Then they can easily be marketed and on demand in the transfer portal after a year as a starter potentially, if that’s the route it goes and they don’t stay put. Going to an immediate contender right now out of high school, there is always the risk anyways that not only do you not play right away but they bring in a transfer the following year to start over you. With the family bloodlines, this would make sense.

I just read his uncle got a 53% increase in salary this year. Must be a hell of a coach......

Regardless, this dude's timeline is wild. Four high schools and three commitments in a little over two years. 

I'm glad we're not a part of it any more

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

So Raiola is now CBd to Nebraska by Wiltfong and so is McCord, who left OSU bc he wasn't guaranteed to be the starter. Interesting turn of events. I'm sure if Raiola signs to Nebraska, it'll be with promise that he'll play soon. 

4 different high schools and 3 different college commits. That concern anybody else? I don't know what that means, but I know it's not a good thing whatever it is

I will say that will be awesome for Nebraska fans

15 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I just read his uncle got a 53% increase in salary this year. Must be a hell of a coach......

Regardless, this dude's timeline is wild. Four high schools and three commitments in a little over two years. 

I'm glad we're not a part of it any more

To be fair to Donovan Raiola we have GREATLY improved on the O-line from where we were two years ago.

But yeah it's sus.