18 game regular season

DigInBoys

12 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

It seems like the NFL will eventually move to an 18 game regular season. What do you think about these proposals regarding it?

How the NFL could implement an 18-game regular season, other changes (usatoday.com)

It only works if there's two bye week windows and each team gets 2 byes. So 20 weeks of football. So like:

Weeks 6-9, 8 teams a week get byes.

Weeks 12-15, 8 teams a week get byes. PAird 5-12, 6-13, 7-14, 8-15.

That way, you play 5-8 games, then 6 games, then 4-7 games.

14 hours ago, DigInBoys said:

I feel the opposite about length of season. When it was 16 games it felt like you blinked and half the season was over.

I think 18 games with two bye weeks is the way to go.

We get 2 more weeks of football in that scenario, and the games would be just a little more spread out (I think it would be something like one less game per week). Which would allow more people to watch more games both in terms of national telecasts, and the afternoon not having as many games bunched up that you can't watch/pay attention to.

How about 16 games with 4 byes

1 hour ago, Malfatron said:

How about 16 games with 4 byes

Honestly, as long as you get about at minimum 7 games per week (TNF, 2x S1pm, 2x S4pm, SNF, MNF), i'd be all for it.  Maybe make it 8 per week and add in a special for things like International games, or make a 3rd S1pm if nothing out of the ordinary needs to be accomidated.

It will eventually be like a 22 game season in the next 20 years. Why do you think they have so much safety rules now? Especially for the QB. It isn’t to protect them, it’s to make money. No one wants to watch a backup QB led team. If the NFL can solve this issue where the starter is rarely ever injured, they can milk a very long season. 

18 hours ago, Tank4Drake said:

It will eventually be like a 22 game season in the next 20 years. Why do you think they have so much safety rules now? Especially for the QB. It isn’t to protect them, it’s to make money. No one wants to watch a backup QB led team. If the NFL can solve this issue where the starter is rarely ever injured, they can milk a very long season. 

22 games If it's truly flag football maybe

• 2 months later...
On 12/5/2023 at 6:06 PM, Blackstar12 said:

Should’ve never changed it to 16 games it to begin with. Won’t be long until they have 8 teams in the playoffs when it used to be just 6 as well. It’s all about $$$ not player safety or quality of the game.

I am still mad about the 7 playoff teams. Prior to 2020, the NFL had by far the best playoff system of any of the major sports league. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, DigInBoys said:

Of course they want it, all they care about is  💰 🤑 💸 💲

The NFLPA will never agree to it before the next CBA unless major, major concessions are given. 

See ya in 5-6 years.

https://saintswire.usatoday.com/lists/nfl-regular-season-schedule-18-games-trade-deadline-saints-rivals-super-bowl-presidents-day/

18 games is going to happen and it makes too much sense.

2 byes (aka two extra weeks of regular season, not just 1)

Start on Labor Day weekend

Finish on Presidents' Day weekend (Monday holiday!)

Probowl week is Valentine's day (aka not the marriage wrecker).

While I think 16 was a good sweet spot, I do think 18 is the natural endgame of expansion. 17-18 games already borders on football fatigue but not quite enough to be bored with it. I understand the concerns but its going to happen because 2 extra weeks of revenue is a lot for both sides.

2 minutes ago, Football_Bachelor08 said:

Only if there's two bye weeks and they get rid of the Thursday Night game. That's the only way it could work

They are not giving up TNF. Hell, the NFL would have a game on Friday Nights if they could. They are too Greedy to give that revenue up.

Potentially change TNF to Saturday Night Football, extra 2 days rest? That I could see. 3 straight nights of NFL. 

College Football night games, be damn.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

They are not giving up TNF. Hell, the NFL would have a game on Friday Nights if they could. They are too Greedy to give that revenue up.

Potentially change TNF to Saturday Night Football, extra 2 days rest? That I could see. 3 straight nights of NFL. 

College Football night games, be damn.

That would be more feasible than the Thursday game. This is not a sport you can play on three days rest