2024 Mock Draft Sims

kingseanjohn

58 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

I covered alotta bases, but its hard to get em all. I figured we could add to WR with UDFA, maybe still make a trade.

Defense could be markedly improved.

With the Rice situation, looks pretty bare. I feel we have to treat it like we won’t have him, rather than we will.  I’d rather have an extra good young receiver, then be short 2.

I did some checking into the Rice situation.

Although the charges against him are serious, prison is unlikely. As far as the state is concerned, suspending his license and a bunch of mandatory counseling/community service is the likely outcome for a first offense. The NFL is likely to suspend him but that is more manageable than jail time.

Trade. Patriots trade #34 and #137 for #32 and take Bo Nix. 

34: OT Kingsley Suamataia - BYU
64: S Jaden Hicks - Washington State
95: WR Devontez Walker - North Carolina
131: LB Jeremiah Trotter Jr. - Clemson
137: RB Audric Estime - Notre Dame
159: WR Jacob Cowing - Arizona
173: CB Carlton Johnson - Fresno State

I was torn. Trice was available at #35. Several players--Kneeland, Booker, Stover, Legette--were available at #64. Hicks was too much value.

1 hour ago, EMAW_KSU said:

With the Rice situation, looks pretty bare. I feel we have to treat it like we won’t have him, rather than we will.  I’d rather have an extra good young receiver, then be short 2.

Again, we could still draft another, add thru UDFA, or trade for 1. That gives us +2, (-Rice, gives us +1)

Edited by mayanfootball

I managed to start. I chose the guys that I did by looking at PFF's top 10 list. I'll try and add some more players to my list tomorrow maybe. I already know I have at least one guy that'll break into the top 10 over PFF's choices. Also remember, we pick at the end of the rounds. So as an example, I gave Roman Wilson a 2nd round grade (spoiler).  Picking him at 32 may as well be a 2nd rounder. I'm not saying that we should, but these grades aren't hard number cutoffs; rather a rough range.

1. Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State

a. PROS: route running, release, catching, awareness, yes

b. CONS: he won’t be available

c. Final thought: He really is the full package. 1st round

2. Brian Thomas Jr, LSU

a. PROS: concentration, hands, speed, didn’t give up on plays, good adjustments, beat press

b. CONS: only one year of production, route running was a little lazy

c. Final thought: With only one year of production, I was skeptical. I actually ended up liking him quite a bit. If he works on making his routes crisper, he could be really good. 1st round

3. Rome Odunze, Washington

a. PROS: good routes, great adjustments, release, hands

b. CONS: tape is iffy because of the other WRs also commanding coverage. I don’t want to ding him for it, but I can’t help it.

c. Final thought: I came away more impressed today than when I originally watched him in December. My biggest concern is that with the trio of WR that Washington had, I don’t know who was facing the #1/#2 CB at any given point. So, he could have been putting up his stats against guys who won’t make a practice squad. With that in mind, I think he’d be a great addition. 1st round

4. Troy Franklin, Oregon

a. PROS: balance, speed, route running, hands

b. CONS: something?

c. Final thought: I think he’d be a great fit with us taking over the MVS role. 1st-2nd round

5. Adonai Mitchell, Texas

a. PROS: route running, hands, adjustments

b. CONS: his big year is still fairly weak stat wise

c. Final thought: Kinda like I said before, he’s someone that you really need to look at. I can’t figure out whether or not he’ll be good. It appears as if he has the tools but I just don’t know. I’d imagine he’s probably catching some balls from Mahomes over the past month. 1st-2nd round

6. Roman Wilson, Michigan

a. PROS: route running, ability to get free/open, speed, patience using blockers, he actually puts the ball in the outside hand, doesn’t quit on broken plays

b. CONS: stats

c. Final thought: With his tape, I don’t understand his low stats. He had a great game against Purdue (9 for 143yds), but pretty pedestrian every other game. I’d really like to dig into it, but I’m not going to. 2nd round

7. Malik Nabors, LSU

a. PROS: decent routes, concentration

b. CONS: ball carrying (no fumbles though), not a single highlight had him facing press coverage

c. Final thought: I’m not sold tbh. But I’m also not going to dig further into it. He was open through offensive scheming or lack of defensive scheming. I don’t know what he actually does to get open on his own, if anything. Watching more tape could maybe move him up my list, but I’m not going to look. 2nd-3rd round

8. Ricky Pearsall, Florida

a. PROS: hands, speed, agility, tracking

b. CONS: routes seemed a little lazy, not much against press

c. Final thought: There was some stuff to like, but nothing spectacular. 2nd-4th round

9. Ladd McConkey, Georgia

a. PROS: decent routes, agility, ball handling

b. CONS: Like Nabors, not a single highlight was against press coverage.

c. Final thought: I think he should be a WR3 at best. 3rd-4th round

10. Jermaine Burton, Alabama

a. PROS: ball tracking, hands

b. CONS: Outside of the Texas A&M game (9 for 197yds 2TD), his numbers were fairly pedestrian. No press coverage.

c. Final thought: I’m kinda lumping him in with McConkey; WR3 at best that will probably put up 400yds and 4TD per year. 3rd-5th round

• Like 1

9 hours ago, kingseanjohn said:

I managed to start. I chose the guys that I did by looking at PFF's top 10 list. I'll try and add some more players to my list tomorrow maybe. I already know I have at least one guy that'll break into the top 10 over PFF's choices. Also remember, we pick at the end of the rounds. So as an example, I gave Roman Wilson a 2nd round grade (spoiler).  Picking him at 32 may as well be a 2nd rounder. I'm not saying that we should, but these grades aren't hard number cutoffs; rather a rough range.

1. Marvin Harrison Jr, Ohio State

a. PROS: route running, release, catching, awareness, yes

b. CONS: he won’t be available

c. Final thought: He really is the full package. 1st round

2. Brian Thomas Jr, LSU

a. PROS: concentration, hands, speed, didn’t give up on plays, good adjustments, beat press

b. CONS: only one year of production, route running was a little lazy

c. Final thought: With only one year of production, I was skeptical. I actually ended up liking him quite a bit. If he works on making his routes crisper, he could be really good. 1st round

3. Rome Odunze, Washington

a. PROS: good routes, great adjustments, release, hands

b. CONS: tape is iffy because of the other WRs also commanding coverage. I don’t want to ding him for it, but I can’t help it.

c. Final thought: I came away more impressed today than when I originally watched him in December. My biggest concern is that with the trio of WR that Washington had, I don’t know who was facing the #1/#2 CB at any given point. So, he could have been putting up his stats against guys who won’t make a practice squad. With that in mind, I think he’d be a great addition. 1st round

4. Troy Franklin, Oregon

a. PROS: balance, speed, route running, hands

b. CONS: something?

c. Final thought: I think he’d be a great fit with us taking over the MVS role. 1st-2nd round

5. Adonai Mitchell, Texas

a. PROS: route running, hands, adjustments

b. CONS: his big year is still fairly weak stat wise

c. Final thought: Kinda like I said before, he’s someone that you really need to look at. I can’t figure out whether or not he’ll be good. It appears as if he has the tools but I just don’t know. I’d imagine he’s probably catching some balls from Mahomes over the past month. 1st-2nd round

6. Roman Wilson, Michigan

a. PROS: route running, ability to get free/open, speed, patience using blockers, he actually puts the ball in the outside hand, doesn’t quit on broken plays

b. CONS: stats

c. Final thought: With his tape, I don’t understand his low stats. He had a great game against Purdue (9 for 143yds), but pretty pedestrian every other game. I’d really like to dig into it, but I’m not going to. 2nd round

7. Malik Nabors, LSU

a. PROS: decent routes, concentration

b. CONS: ball carrying (no fumbles though), not a single highlight had him facing press coverage

c. Final thought: I’m not sold tbh. But I’m also not going to dig further into it. He was open through offensive scheming or lack of defensive scheming. I don’t know what he actually does to get open on his own, if anything. Watching more tape could maybe move him up my list, but I’m not going to look. 2nd-3rd round

8. Ricky Pearsall, Florida

c. Final thought: There was some stuff to like, but nothing spectacular. 2nd-4th round

9. Ladd McConkey, Georgia

a. PROS: decent routes, agility, ball handling

b. CONS: Like Nabors, not a single highlight was against press coverage.

c. Final thought: I think he should be a WR3 at best. 3rd-4th round

10. Jermaine Burton, Alabama

a. PROS: ball tracking, hands

b. CONS: Outside of the Texas A&M game (9 for 197yds 2TD), his numbers were fairly pedestrian. No press coverage.

c. Final thought: I’m kinda lumping him in with McConkey; WR3 at best that will probably put up 400yds and 4TD per year. 3rd-5th round

Interesting take, part of was a what I think is cool about mocks with some description is seeing how different people evaluate the talent. McConkey is a prime example of that. Widely considered first round talent, you consider him much later.

17 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I talked to a criminal attorney this morning. Her opinion is that probation is almost certain.

First offense is important but compliance and the support network greatly matter.

3 hours ago, onejayhawk said:

I talked to a criminal attorney this morning. Her opinion is that probation is almost certain.

First offense is important but compliance and the support network greatly matter.

I actually hope not. And if he gets the rich and famous discount I hope the league is heavy handed.  There has to be a repercussion for there to be a lesson. And don’t give me the suspended license bit, for anyone that thinks racing on a busy highway is ok, a suspended license penalty isn’t worth the paper they print it on.

2 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

I actually hope not. And if he gets the rich and famous discount I hope the league is heavy handed.  There has to be a repercussion for there to be a lesson. And don’t give me the suspended license bit, for anyone that thinks racing on a busy highway is ok, a suspended license penalty isn’t worth the paper they print it on.

That's not a rich and famous situation. On a first offense, very few get prison time and those are the ones who refuse to play ball. In this case, he has competent counsel and a well-designed support system. There is no reason to expect anything else.

If it happens a second time, things become very different.

On 4/13/2024 at 10:48 PM, kingseanjohn said:

Ricky Pearsall, Florida

Imo this dude might fit the best for what we need. He's gonna be that Edelman/Welker type in the NFL I think and I think he could be that safety valve option for the offense. Might steal some "off the cuff" from Kelce over time.

Plus, that first catch of this highlight vid was F-I-L-T-H-Y 👀 

Ps since he's probably my favorite WR that we could realistically draft he definitely won't be lol. I've been skunked on Pickins and Mingo in the last couple years 😕

Edited by Chiefs_5627

8 hours ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

Ps since he's probably my favorite WR that we could realistically draft he definitely won't be lol. I've been skunked on Pickins and Mingo in the last couple years

There’s something about him I don’t like, just haven’t put my finger on it.  Love the way he comes out of cuts etc. I think it comes down to what we think/actually need.

Rice is a YAC guy, do we want need another? To me that’s Malachi Corley then the field.

A do it all guy? Guys like Mitchell/Thomas/Leggette/McConkey etc.

Red zone/middle of the field weapon? Keon Coleman would be a favorite of mine here.

Probably my last one till draft day,  but this is the general idea of what I want to happen.

Slid back and picked up an extra 2nd next year.   Can use the extra 2nd and/or 3rd to move up next year for an elite player.

1) Bring in a WR to learn the ropes
2) Increase Interior talent for when we slide Jones outside
3) Use the middle rounds for some veratile OL
4) Use the later rounds to round out RB/TE, and some defensive depth.

46.Troy Franklin WROregon
64.Michael Hall Jr.DTOhio State
95.Roger RosengartenOTWashington
112.Brandon ColemanOGTCU
124.Jaylen WrightRBTennessee
159.Elijah JonesCBBoston College
173.Tanner McLachlanTEArizona
176.Edefuan UlofoshioLBWashington

208.Ainias SmithWRTexas A&M
2025 LV 2nd

4 minutes ago, RedGold said:

46.Troy Franklin WROregon

I seem to always forget about Franklin, certainly a burner.  His size makes me worry, and yes before anyone mentions it, I know Zay Flowers and Donta Smith are light framed guys. Certainly rather have Franklin than Worthy as I feel like he has a bigger route tree coming in.

Here are my WR rankings for those interested. In green guys who I think would be a great fit for us because they can stretch the field or find the soft spots in zone in the intermediate level

Top 15
Marvin Harrison Jr
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze
Brian Thomas Jr,

Bottom 1st - High 2nd
Adonai Mitchell
Troy Franklin

Ladd McConkey

Round 2
Devontez Walker
Ricky Pearsall
Xavier Legette
Malik Washington
Xavier Worthy

Round 3
Jermaine Burton
Ja'Lynn Polk
Roman Wilson

Johnny Wilson
Tahj Washington
Jalen McMillan
Malachi Corley

Round 4

Keon Coleman
Bub Means
Luke McCaffrey
Ainias Smith
Isaiah Williams
Javon Baker
De'Corian Clark

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, TedLavie said:

Here are my WR rankings for those interested. In green guys who I think would be a great fit for us because they can stretch the field or find the soft spots in zone in the intermediate level

Top 15
Marvin Harrison Jr
Malik Nabers
Rome Odunze
Brian Thomas Jr,

Bottom 1st - High 2nd
Adonai Mitchell
Troy Franklin

Ladd McConkey

Round 2
Devontez Walker
Ricky Pearsall
Xavier Legette
Malik Washington
Xavier Worthy

Round 3
Jermaine Burton
Ja'Lynn Polk
Roman Wilson

Johnny Wilson
Tahj Washington
Jalen McMillan
Malachi Corley

Round 4

Keon Coleman
Bub Means
Luke McCaffrey
Ainias Smith
Isaiah Williams
Javon Baker
De'Corian Clark

Are these the rounds you would be ok taking guys? Corley and Coleman go in round 2, probably upper half.

10 hours ago, EMAW_KSU said:

Are these the rounds you would be ok taking guys? Corley and Coleman go in round 2, probably upper half.

Yeah. Not a fan of Coleman at all, and neither, to a lesser extent, of Corley. Oppositely, big fan of the Washingtons vs the consensus. Tez Walker too though I fully recognize that he's a high variance prospect