Are the 2023 Panthers an all time bad team?

CP3MVP

I feel like the winless 2017 Browns would take them out...so yeah, they're pretty bad.

They have defensive talent, but most of it is injured.

They have a horrendous offense, both in terms of players and in structure/playcalling.

That said, I do expect Bryce Young to eventually get it together and become a star. It just will have to be with a vastly different offense and set of skill players. They made the classic mistake of going up to get a QB and forgetting that you have to have some semblance of talent around him. And yeah, in retrospect, Stroud over Young...but I still believe in Bryce Young. They have built an offensive system that is wildly ineffective for his skill set.

2 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I feel like the winless 2017 Browns would take them out...so yeah, they're pretty bad.

They have a horrendous offense, both in terms of players and in structure/playcalling.

That said, I do expect Bryce Young to eventually get it together and become a star. It just will have to be with a vastly different offense and set of skill players. They made the classic mistake of going up to get a QB and forgetting that you have to have some semblance of talent around him. And yeah, in retrospect, Stroud over Young...but I still believe in Bryce Young. They have built an offensive system that is wildly ineffective for his skill set.

I’ve been a Bryce believer for most of the season, but I’m starting to come around to the idea that he’s part of the problem. 

It’s tough to judge because his worsening play over the past few weeks may be due to him being shellshocked and lacking confidence due to playing on”hard mode,” having to deal with poor pass protection, bad receivers, and an offensive scheme that does nothing to help those receivers get open. But now that Reich is gone and we’ve seen more pre snap motion and more diversity in route combinations, I see him missing plays I think he should make. 

The optimist in me thinks he’s better than he has shown and it is partly due to “David Carr syndrome.” But I think I’m out on him being a franchise QB. I think his best case is a serviceable starter if everything comes together perfectly—improved players around him, improved coaching, he himself improving.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

You actually think Bryce can be a star? How?

He can't make NFL quality throws. His footwork is bad. And his small stature really limits him. At this point I'm not sure he can be a backup

Edited by Towerbridge

11 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

You actually think Bryce can be a star? How?

He can't make NFL quality throws. His footwork is bad. And his small stature really limits him. At this point I'm not sure he can be a backup

If he couldn’t do those things, he wouldn’t have been sought after by Bama and then subsequently drafted #1 overall. He has plenty of tools to work with. 

2 minutes ago, Towerbridge said:

You can be a star in college and not do those things. Plenty of big QB busts 

He can’t make NFL throws…how so? He has a strong arm. People think he doesn’t because he’s small, but his arm talent is definitely a plus for the league.

His footwork is erratic. It was in college too. But part of that is on the OL and the scheme. His OL has been dreadful & ontop of that, he isn’t being given any easy throws built-in. He needs more throws under his belt too. Kid is not being given enough chances to sling it. What are they afraid of…losing?

I think the size thing is dumb. He destroyed the premier programs in college. Those teams—and his entire OL—are NFL-sized or bigger. Bama’s OL is bigger than his current OL. He had no issues with that in college, but now it’s hindering him? I don’t see that.

In college, he was a master improviser when plays broke down. Innate ability to find guys running open when he needed to. Top-notch instincts. By all accounts, he works his butt off.

There are plenty of reasons to think he can be a star. Playing QB as a rookie is incredibly difficult. Especially when your coaches aren’t good (already fired) and you have zero talent to work with. Truly, Carolina is working with zilch. They have nothing on offense except a “maybe” with Mingo and Ekwonu. And those two guys look like bleh picks right now anyways.

IDK how Carolina got so bad on offense. They had some dudes and it all deteriorated within a matter of 2 years. It’s a poorly run organization expecting a rookie QB to save them, despite having zero pieces to save. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He can’t make NFL throws…how so? He has a strong arm. People think he doesn’t because he’s small, but his arm talent is definitely a plus for the league.

His footwork is erratic. It was in college too. But part of that is on the OL and the scheme. His OL has been dreadful & ontop of that, he isn’t being given any easy throws built-in. He needs more throws under his belt too. Kid is not being given enough chances to sling it. What are they afraid of…losing?

I think the size thing is dumb. He destroyed the premier programs in college. Those teams—and his entire OL—are NFL-sized or bigger. Bama’s OL is bigger than his current OL. He had no issues with that in college, but now it’s hindering him? I don’t see that.

In college, he was a master improviser when plays broke down. Innate ability to find guys running open when he needed to. Top-notch instincts. By all accounts, he works his butt off.

There are plenty of reasons to think he can be a star. Playing QB as a rookie is incredibly difficult. Especially when your coaches aren’t good (already fired) and you have zero talent to work with. Truly, Carolina is working with zilch. They have nothing on offense except a “maybe” with Mingo and Ekwonu. And those two guys look like bleh picks right now anyways.

IDK how Carolina got so bad on offense. They had some dudes and it all deteriorated within a matter of 2 years. It’s a poorly run organization expecting a rookie QB to save them, despite having zero pieces to save. 

Lol he does not have a strong arm 

As a Saints fan, the Panthers are so bad this year that I don't even get any enjoyment trolling the team. I don't know that I've ever experienced that in all my years of being a fan. Could definitely argue they are one of the worst teams in the past couple decades.