Better Career - Gore or Fitzgerald

48 1/2ers

Better Career if it were to end after the 2017 season?   

30 members have voted

1. 1. Better Career if it were to end after the 2017 season?

• Frank Gore
    • Larry Fitzgerald
    • Dead Equal Tie

Frank Gore 

13,827 yards rushing (4th all time), 17,433 yards from scrimmage (8th all time) 77 rushing TDs (22nd all time) 

Larry Fitzgerald 

15,311 yards receiving (3rd all time) 13,379 yards from scrimmage (18th all time) 109 receiving TDs (8th all time)

Frank-Gore-stiffarm.jpg

larry-fitzgerald-richard-sherman.jpg

If both were to call it quits at the end of 2017 (even though they look like they can keep going another 1 or 2) who would you say had the better career. 

As underrated and great of a player as Frank Gore is, this isn't close for me.  Fitz has been a better WR and will be considered higher within the rankings of best WRs of all time than Gore has been a RB and will be in rankings for RBs.  That's not a knock on Gore at all.  It's just that FItz just has been considered one of the top WRs in the game for pretty much his whole career.  Gore had a few years earlier in his career where he was in a similar conversation for RBs, but for the most part was in the good-to-great category rather than the best-in-the-game one. You also have to factor in Fitz's postseason heroics when making this comparison.

1 minute ago, JustAnotherFan said:

Fitz is a top 3-5 player of all-time at his position and a sure-fire HoF lock.  Neither of these things can be said about Gore.

Gore is going to be a sure-fire HoF lock. He's likely to retire 4th all-time leading rusher which only puts him behind Smith, Payton, and Sanders. It would be inconceivable for him to miss out on the hall. 

1 minute ago, Geek said:

Gore is going to be a sure-fire HoF lock. He's likely to retire 4th all-time leading rusher which only puts him behind Smith, Payton, and Sanders. It would be inconceivable for him to miss out on the hall. 

He only finished top 8 (top quartile) in Rushing yards one time in his career. He was never considered top 3 at his position at point in his career aside from his I believe 3rd season. He's like Hines Ward, good player, consistent player, played a long time. But never sniffed being considered the top at his position ever in his career.

20 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Larry has been the best receiver in the NFL at various points in his career. Gore never was never the best at his position as good of a career he's had. 

This.  It's Fitz for me even though I really appreciate what Gore has accomplished and believed he is a HOF player despite only really fringing on being a top 5 RB at the peak of his career.  That type of longevity from a RB of his workload is basically unheard of in this era.

But Fitz was both dominant and had a long career, albeit easier to accomplish for a WR.

9 minutes ago, Geek said:

Depends how the voters see it really. There are some I think decent reasons why he would be held out. 

21 hours ago, Geek said:

Look I love Gore! I've watched him his entire career and his style of play in all aspects; running the ball, as a blocker, as a receiver has been something to watch. Furthermore, I have a ton of respect for players like him that decide to stick it out with their original team no matter what.  

However, the Hall of Fame is about more than just numbers and this is what is going to hold Gore back. FOr instance, since you brought up those numbers and particular players. Ask yourself this; what are some of the biggest differences between Frank Gore and Smith, Payton and Sanders? This will hopefully help you, and maybe others, understand that the HoF goes beyond a stat line.

Here's a few to help you get started .

1) They were all considered, by large, the best back in the league at least one point in their careers and maintained that top 5 success for a long enough period that was worthy of discussion. Gore has never accomplished this. The closest that he came to this was literally over 10 years ago

2) They all have 'memorable moments' that were nationally highlighted and still remain in the minds of people today in some way, shape or form. That's called making your mark in the game. In this regard and at this point, Gore is going to be remembered more for his longevity than anything else. Because by the time that he retires, not too many are going to remember just how good he really was in the mid-2000's.

3) Save for Smith. They were all the main focal point for their entire careers. Gore has not been that type of player for nearly a decade despite his longevity AND lack of pass game for the majority of his career. 

22 hours ago, Danger said:

He only finished top 8 (top quartile) in Rushing yards one time in his career. He was never considered top 3 at his position at point in his career aside from his I believe 3rd season. He's like Hines Ward, good player, consistent player, played a long time. But never sniffed being considered the top at his position ever in his career.

Gore's going to get into the hall. I don't think there's a whole ton of doubt there. I have a very small amount of uncertainty in my mind (say 5-10%), but I'm 90% sure that he will. 

But to answer OP, its Fitzgerald, and definitely not close to me. 

22 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

Depends how the voters see it really. There are some I think decent reasons why he would be held out. 

For sure, and I've said repeatedly that I wouldn't have him in my own personal hall of fame. But unless there are wholesale changes in the voting contingent over the next 10 years (possible), I think the voting history has shown that he's going to get in. 

Archived