Vikings bench QB Josh Dobbs; Starting QB Nick Mullens vs. Bengals

RaidersAreOne

this is an extremely good write up of Dobbs from @Sir Fobos, a Viking fan:

"Dobbs walked into a new, complex offense that relies heavily on timing. However cerebral Dobbs is, intelligence alone is not a substitute for practice and repetition. It took Cousins more than a season to become comfortable in KOC's system, and Cousins has a superior arm to run that system. Due to the rapid way the situation unfolded in MN, Dobbs has struggled with the timing and has largely been limited to buying time with his feet and improvising, on top of his personal limitations. Once defenses zeroed in on containing him and forcing him to quickly hit WRs from the pocket, he ceased being productive and the offense faltered to its current state. If Dobbs could better sync with the WRs (which takes time to develop), this trend would reverse. I think that's what KOC anticipated, at least incrementally, and is probably why he was willing to keep Dobbs on the field so long. Dobbs' intelligence and athleticism might have justified the risk.

he WRs haven't done Dobbs any favors lately. I can't remember a time when receivers killed so many drives with dropped passes.

It would be interesting to see what Dobbs could do with an offseason to build a rapport with the WRs. But that experiment is likely over."

• Like 2

Didn't realize Nick Mullens still existed.  That's fun.  Don't know what the Vikings are really doing.  Trading for a guy who had like one good game one time, finding out he's actually bad, and now just going with a rando?  I'd say it reeks of desperation, but it more smells of just...confusion really.

2 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Didn't realize Nick Mullens still existed.  That's fun.  Don't know what the Vikings are really doing.  Trading for a guy who had like one good game one time, finding out he's actually bad, and now just going with a rando?  I'd say it reeks of desperation, but it more smells of just...confusion really.

I mean...  they lost their starting QB so it made sense before the deadline to grab someone who looked halfway decent in a few games.  Of course they were desperate... any team that loses their starting QB is going to be desperate IMO.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sryan66611 said:

I mean...  they lost their starting QB so it made sense before the deadline to grab someone who looked halfway decent in a few games.  Of course they were desperate... any team that loses their starting QB is going to be desperate IMO.

It's just funny to be desperate and go out and make a trade.

Then walk it back to the other guy you already had.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tugboat said:

When Cousins went down, they only had 1 healthy QB on the roster in Jaren Hall...Mullens was still on IR with a back injury...that's why.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Tugboat said:

Mullens was on IR at the time of the trade. They had Jaren Hall and that was about it. Hall suffered a concussion which opened the door for Dobbs.

Edit I should have just looked at the reply above.

Edited by vikingsrule

On 12/13/2023 at 2:18 AM, Tugboat said:

It's just funny to be desperate and go out and make a trade.

Then walk it back to the other guy you already had.

Mullens was on IR.

when we started Dobbs, he was in effect our 4th string QB.

Cousins - out with Achilles tear
Mullens - out with back injury
Hall - knocked out of a game with a concussion
Dobbs - next man up