Week #16 General 🏈 Discussion

RaidersAreOne

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

No question about it though that raiders team fights hard for Pierce.  They would be dumb not to give that man a few seasons to try and build a tough minded capable team.  He is a leader of men and thats a big part of being the HC of a team.  He can hire a OC and DC for their x's and o's to help him out but as a HC he has it.

I don't disagree....but when is the last time this worked out? Retaining the interim head coach who motivated the team after the bad head coach got fired?

3 minutes ago, General Tso said:

I think that's totally fine. Plenty of good HCs who are good motivators and have good coordinators

Once they lose those coordinators they are screwed though. Have to learn an entire new system. Lions are gonna regress huge when they lose Ben Johnson. You don’t just replace that… this is why your HC has to be the master of your offense or defense. 

4 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

I don't disagree....but when is the last time this worked out? Retaining the interim head coach who motivated the team after the bad head coach got fired?

Definitely didn't work when the Niners hired Mike Singletary. Wasted good rosters in 2009 & 2010 before Harbaugh took over in 2011.

3 minutes ago, Tank4Drake said:

Once they lose those coordinators they are screwed though. Have to learn an entire new system. Lions are gonna regress huge when they lose Ben Johnson. You don’t just replace that… this is why your HC has to be the master of your offense or defense. 

Or if he can't pick the right coordinator(s)? See Tomlin in Pittsburgh or my Bears with Getsy.

Edited by BeaReylo

4 minutes ago, Habbsawce said:

Seems like another Dan Campbell. They play hard for him.

This is also the 1 reason im hesitant to move on from Arthur Smith.  The guys on the field legit do play hard for the guy as a HC.   He made some crappy teams the last few years look avg and win games we shouldn't have.  This year the team should have been better than it is but did Ridder hold them back big time.   Because under Heienecke they are scoring almost 28 points a game to Ridders 17.   I think i personally would give Arthur 1 more season with a legit top talent rookie Qb or a guy like fields or cousins to see if he takes it to the playoffs. Mostly based on how much the team likes him and fights for him in close games.

1 minute ago, FalconFan13 said:

This is also the 1 reason im hesitant to move on from Arthur Smith.  The guys on the field legit do play hard for the guy as a HC.   He made some crappy teams the last few years look avg and win games we shouldn't have.  This year the team should have been better than it is but did Ridder hold them back big time.   Because under Heienecke they are scoring almost 28 points a game to Ridders 17.   I think i personally would give Arthur 1 more season with a legit top talent rookie Qb or a guy like fields or cousins to see if he takes it to the playoffs. Mostly based on how much the team likes him and fights for him in close games.

It could always be worse. They could fire Smith and hire Nagy.

Just now, BeaReylo said:

Or if he can't pick the right coordinator(s)?

This is such an over simplified statement. There’s only gonna be 5-6 great OC and DC’s at any given time, and they will be poached regularly. That’s why your HC has to be the head of your offensive or defensive system.