Who's a better O Lineman? Trent Williams or Jason Kelce

mdonnelly21

Who's a better O Lineman? Trent Williams or Jason Kelce   

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who's a better O Lineman?

• Trent Williams
    • Jason Kelce 

Two guys I’d be comfortable calling future HOFers. Trent might be the only tackle who brings it in the run game with his strength, speed, and mobility in a way that mimics what Kelce does as a center. Two anomalies for the positions they play. 

But I think Trent’s more of a “wall”, compared to Kelce. Have to give him the edge, in a slight way.

1 hour ago, Soko said:

Two guys I’d be comfortable calling future HOFers. Trent might be the only tackle who brings it in the run game with his strength, speed, and mobility in a way that mimics what Kelce does as a center. Two anomalies for the positions they play. 

But I think Trent’s more of a “wall”, compared to Kelce. Have to give him the edge, in a slight way.

Traditionally, we would think elite LT > elite C, duh. 

Traditionally, we would think Trent Williams > everyone, duh.

But does the fact that Kelce has revolutionized the game in some ways with the tush push give him enough value to compete here?

I don't see any other C adding 11 TDs to the run game as directly as Kelce has.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Soggust said:

But does the fact that Kelce has revolutionized the game in some ways with the tush push give him enough value to compete here?

I don’t see any C doing that directly, period. Including Kelce.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Soggust said:

Does Kelce get more credit for that than Hurts?  I think it'd be easier to replicate that success with a different center than it would be a different qb.  

• Like 1

Just now, OkeyDoke21 said:

Does Kelce get more credit for that than Hurts?  I think it'd be easier to replicate that success with a different center than it would be a different qb.  

That's a good question.

I thought we all agreed that we were giving the credit to Kelce, but I've been actively hating on Jalen for a while in the MVP thread, so my perspective might just be skewed tbh.

19 minutes ago, Soggust said:

You think it's mostly Jalen? Or just a combination of everyone involved?

Meaning, the execution of the tush push vs other teams not being able to replicate.

Certainly is a combination of the players involved (primarily IOL and QB) and coaching, for sure. Kelce can only help that, as he’s a great center. 

But do I think that could be replicated with identical coaching, Cam Newton/Josh Allen/Anthony Richardson and an IOL like KC’s? Sure. 

Kelce deserves credit for being apart of that, but I’m not willing to say that Philly’s success with the tush push is tied primarily to Kelce. Maybe it wouldn’t be as successful without him, but it probably wouldn’t be without Hurts or Dickerson or the coaching staff either.

• Like 1

Not sure how this is even a question, Trent Williams plays a much harder position and despite injuries has generally been a more dominating player in my opinion.  Hard to compare guys asked to do totally different things though there is that.  

Real question would be who is the better center, Jason Kelce or Maurkice Pouncey, I think Jason does benefit from the NFL being some what down on OL play in general so Kelce gets on a lot of All Pro teams where when Pouncey played the league had more quality guys at the OL positions.  Still who is more powerful as a center and athletic I would say Pouncey, Kelce is more gritty and long term consistent possibly but also benefits from having the best OL coach in the NFL who can develop guys around Kelce to help him out and help the entire group consistently.

Would Kelce be the player he is without Stoutland as the OL coach?  Not sure....

On 12/23/2023 at 2:12 PM, Ozzy said:

Real question would be who is the better center, Jason Kelce or Maurkice Pouncey, I think Jason does benefit from the NFL being some what down on OL play in general so Kelce gets on a lot of All Pro teams where when Pouncey played the league had more quality guys at the OL positions.  Still who is more powerful as a center and athletic I would say Pouncey, Kelce is more gritty and long term consistent possibly but also benefits from having the best OL coach in the NFL who can develop guys around Kelce to help him out and help the entire group consistently.

That's an insult to Kelce. 

Trent probably deserves to win this poll but Pouncey isn't even in the same dimension as Kelce.