QB Options 2024

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

I’m 50/50 on Cousins. Achilles, wants a fully gtd contract. I’d be willing to go two years but anything after that is too much for a 36 year old QB coming off a major injury. 

On the flip side he was playing at a high level and would have some nice pieces at his disposal and would make DA happy 

This is kinda where I'm at as well. He is a solid QB and one you can certainly win w/ but I worry about how much he has left and if his body will hold up. We have the offensive players in place but grabbing him, getting Jacobs back, and shoring up that OL will certainly make our offense look a lot different plus it will give Aidan time to acclimate and see what we have there.

Cousins, Jacobs, Adams, Meyers, Mayer and some role players really isn't a bad offense if you can protect Kirk.

13 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Whatever you're smoking, gimme some. 

Lance was and remains a bust. The only QB3 thing about Lance is his position on both San Francisco's and Dallas' depth chart during the 2023 season. 

Daniels didn’t tear it up until he was 23 with two first round picks at WR. Imagine Lance having 3 more years in college with two 1st round WRs. Think with logic. 

12 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

You have a fix mindset. Become a visionary 

I am. 

I envision Trey Lance being a 3rd string QB a team gave up on because he sucked that bad and ditched him for a 4th to a team that stuck him on the bench. I envision him as still QB3....on a depth chart. 

And you know what? That doesn't make me any old visionary, that makes me the Oracle of Delphi. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I was honestly thinking this might happen after you reminded me of our OC hire as I thought we'd go after Fields. Would put us in a weird situation. Do you still draft a QB and have AOC and the draft pick sit and learn or do you ride with those two? I'm guessing the latter. 

I think we'd pass on a QB all together if we signed Kirk unless McCarthy or Daniels fell to us

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Please trade for Trey Lance. Cowboys projected to extend Dak Prescott. It will only cost a mid rounder. Lance could make the GM look like a genius. Lance younger and better than Bo Nix. Lance should be in this draft class and would be QB3 too. 

Or it could cost him his job, do you really feel confident going into next year with Lance/AOC as our only options to start

• Like 1

Just now, Chali21 said:

Apparently AP doesn’t want a bridge QB. I think that rules out any older QBs like cousins. If they do go with a Vet it’ll probably be someone like Fields or…Lance. Young with upside. 

Source?

Fields and Lance are both on expiring deals. And I think Telesco just said yesterday that he's open to acquiring an older QB, lol.

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

I wouldn't absolutely hate Nix. He might have something worthwhile. 

Taking him at 13 would leave a bad taste in my mouth though. I simply cannot justify him going that high to anyone. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Humble_Beast said:

I hardly doubt you get fired for trading a 4th round pick for Lance. If you draft Nix at 13 and he bust, that’s a huge blemish on your resume. Trading up for JJ and he flops is a horrible look

If you tank an entire season by trusting that Lance or AOC can be the guy and it back fires it's a huge blemish on your resume especially in a year with a super deep QB class.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Taking him at 13 would leave a bad taste in my mouth though. I simply cannot justify him going that high to anyone. 

This. I like Nix, but taking him 13 would scream desperation. Id be fine with a trade down or trade up from 2. Who else is taking a QB in round 1 after 13?

5 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Please trade for Trey Lance. Cowboys projected to extend Dak Prescott. It will only cost a mid rounder. Lance could make the GM look like a genius. Lance younger and better than Bo Nix. Lance should be in this draft class and would be QB3 too. 

Lance has played a combined 262 snaps dating back to January 1 2019

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I suppose it comes down to how confident you are in the teams drafting behind you not taking him.

We’re kinda boxed into a corner imo. And that will affect our ability to get value. I don’t think many of us really want to go FA route and it looks highly likely that Mayfield and Cousins will re-sign.

That leaves the draft and if the top 3 are out of reach (I expect that to be the case) and we are a less desirable trade partner for McCarthy (quite likely with the teams ahead of us), then we’re down to 2 options and if Telesco doesn’t want to take the risk on Penix’s health - it might leave Nix as the only actual option. 

In that case, I can see him getting jittery because the prospect of going into the season without 1 of the 6 QBs is professionally risky with a rabid fan base, who will bring out the pitch forks if they don’t.

So in this case, in a supply and demand situation, where the Raiders have few remaining options, it could skew the value.

• Like 1