Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

8 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

In fact it probably is?  Yeah no. If Darnold and Rosen come out they are superior then Mahomes. As prospects that is. No chance I give up the #1 pick for him. I really liked Mahomes coming out. I’d maybe give up the Houston pick IF we don’t go Rosen or Darnold. Definitely curious to see him play this week. 

Side note:  I’ve still seen absolutely nothing to tell me Rosen or Darnold are not coming out. I’ve seen absolutely nothing to tell me Rosen doesn’t want to play for the Browns. The comment he made (if true) is accurate. It would be a ton better if some of these guys could go to an established team or one that fits them better. So what? It’s true. Where do we come up with the “fact” he doesn’t want to play here?  For real people. Does nobody want to get with the real?  

Does anybody not remember when Garrett didn’t want to play for the Browns?  Anybody?  Remember when he didn’t want to play for a cold weather team?  Obviously the Browns. Remember when he pleaded for Dallas to move up to draft him?  Obviously he didn’t want to play for the Browns. 

Soooo what happened?

Anywho, can’t lie I’m concerned about Rosen and his health. I think it’s a true concern. 

Which leads me to Mayfield. Dude is a baller. Yeah his conference scares me. Yeah his height scares me. But he is accurate, can make reads and is extraordinarily efficient. I’m telling you guys, when evaluating prospects note their accuracy (visually btw not stupid crap stats) and their ability to anticipate and you have a winner. 

Havent mapped out Mayfields ability to anticipate yet so he’s a work in progress. 

I don't believe Darnold is coming out. Then there's this about Rosen: http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/27/john-dorsey-reportedly-said-he-would-stay-away-from-josh-rosen/

If to be believed, you would think John Dorsey had a higher grade on Mahomes, who he mortgaged two 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder to go up and get him. 

Again, I'm just starting conversation with this. I don't think it will happen, but would be interesting if Kansas City decided to listen. 

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I don't believe Darnold is coming out. Then there's this about Rosen: http://thebiglead.com/2017/12/27/john-dorsey-reportedly-said-he-would-stay-away-from-josh-rosen/

If to be believed, you would think John Dorsey had a higher grade on Mahomes, who he mortgaged two 1st round picks and a 3rd rounder to go up and get him. 

Again, I'm just starting conversation with this. I don't think it will happen, but would be interesting if Kansas City decided to listen. 

Yeah I don’t think it will happen either. And if the tale about Dorsey and Rosen is true someone, Pauline needs to be fired for breech of confidentiality. 

9 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

He runs his own site so can't be fired

And?  Are you one of those sheep that believes everything you read? Can’t come up with your own conclusion?  Do you know how many “facts” we get this time of year?  Nobody holds these yahoos accountable. If you want to believe it so be it. 

3 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

And?  Are you one of those sheep that believes everything you read? Can’t come up with your own conclusion?  Do you know how many “facts” we get this time of year?  Nobody holds these yahoos accountable. If you want to believe it so be it. 

Been following Pauline for about 7 years now. He doesn't have great scouting reports and will play connect-the-dots from time-to-time, but when he has a "source", he's usually very accurate. 

3 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

Been following Pauline for about 7 years now. He doesn't have great scouting reports and will play connect-the-dots from time-to-time, but when he has a "source", he's usually very accurate. 

Yeah the best thing about sauces is they great on wings and various and usundry meats!

let me know when you have something concrete. 

4 minutes ago, Bonanza23 said:

Yeah the best thing about sauces is they great on wings and various and usundry meats!

let me know when you have something concrete. 

No doubt- have plenty of family and friends in the industry. Sure sooner than later I absolutely will. Nice conversation. 

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

No doubt- have plenty of family and friends in the industry. Sure sooner than later I absolutely will. Nice conversation. 

Yeah I’ve got nobody in the football industry. I bet my sauces are better than yorn. I happen to use my brain. Nice conversation :)

On 12/26/2017 at 12:11 AM, AkronsWitness said:

Is there any pass rushing DE/DT hybrid who can rush the passer? A elite prospect of Larry Ogunjobi if you will?

When you look at all good defenses they can get pressure up the middle. The Eagles have Brandon Graham, Cinci has Atkins, Jacksonville has Malik Jackson and Rams have Donald. Is there one of those types in the top 15?

I dont think Bradley Chubb would work since Ogbah played extremely well until his injury. I just dont think you create a log jam there with Garrett/Ogbah/Chubb who all cant be on the field together.

No, and finding a penetrating DT is the last thing we should be worried about. We have several young players that can do that. Ogunjobi and Coley are excellent athletes that can rush, and Brantley was my top rated UT last year. We need another pure edge rusher, but more for depth than anything else. If there was an undeniable superstar sitting atop the draft, I'd take him even if he were a pass rusher...but I don't see that guy. I think Chubb is going to be very good, but he isn't on the same level as Garrett or Bosa from years past.

Baker Mayfield is going to be a stud. But as I've previously stated, I really doubt you can pass on the prototype QB's at the top (Rosen/Darnold) and pick a 6'0ish spread system QB. I actually think Mayfield has the highest upside out of any of the QB's because of his speed, arm strength, and ability to create splash plays. The other two do fit more of the mold of an NFL QB, but Mayfield just seems like a guy that's going to be undeniable ala Russell Wilson.

I'm still going Darnold at #1, but damn if I'm not tempted to trade down 1-2 spots and go Baker.

Also, on a side note: The reason people hate small QB's is because they struggle to see over the line and often have small hands/trouble gripping the football and ripping it down the field like a freaking baseball. Mayfield has an excellent arm and plays behind one of the biggest lines in CFB. He has not had issues with batted balls, nor has he had problems finding windows to throw the football through. He's going to be a fine pro QB in my opinion.

10 hours ago, jetskid007 said:

That's not the point. Sure, he may "like" those guys, as he apparently "likes" Mayfield. But what if his grade on Mahomes is much higher than any QB in this draft?

In fact it probably is... just food for thought. 

No, he is not even close to the ratings for this year's crop. Mahomes has proved nothing so far, in fact Reid has stuck with Smith through all their struggles, indicating to me, that he probably won't be traded so Mahomes can start.

If they were going to go with Mahomes next season, why didn't he start the last 3 to 5 games, so he would have some experience going into next season. The fact he is riding the bench indicates to me, that Reid may not have any faith in his ability to be a franchise QB and he could easily turn out to be a complete flop.

1 hour ago, Iamcanadian said:

No, he is not even close to the ratings for this year's crop. Mahomes has proved nothing so far, in fact Reid has stuck with Smith through all their struggles, indicating to me, that he probably won't be traded so Mahomes can start.

If they were going to go with Mahomes next season, why didn't he start the last 3 to 5 games, so he would have some experience going into next season. The fact he is riding the bench indicates to me, that Reid may not have any faith in his ability to be a franchise QB and he could easily turn out to be a complete flop.

Because their struggles have nothing to do with Alex Smith. Smith is playing absolutely great this year

21 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Stanford is destroying the best Big 12 defense right now. This has been my biggest knock on Baker. His height doesn’t concern me if he has big enough hands. However, he played bad defenses all year.

He tore up a pretty good tOSU defense on the road.

Also what happens in a bowl game is not a reflection of the regular season. When you get 2-3 weeks to prepare for a team, stuff like this can happen. Specially when its a talented Stanford team. 

2 minutes ago, buno67 said:

He tore up a pretty good tOSU defense on the road.

Also what happens in a bowl game is not a reflection of the regular season. When you get 2-3 weeks to prepare for a team, stuff like this can happen. Specially when its a talented Stanford team. 

OSU’s defense has gotten a lot better, but week 2, they were still breaking in a lot of bodies and not playing well. They were really bad week 1 vs IU and obviously week 2 as well. Not a knock on Baker, because he has excelled all year long. I’m just not sure he’s played a great defense yet either. The OSU defense is good now, but I wouldn’t say they were a good defense at the time they played OU. 

I do like OU vs UGA though. I’m not on Team Baker but am interested to see him play against the Bulldogs defense. 

Archived