Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

14 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Really ?! What have you been watching. Are defense was above average last year. And if it wasn’t for Kizer putting them in terrible positions we would have been top 10. 

Correction. The browns run defense was above average. Their passing defense was atrocious! Bad field positions or not any team could pass on us

22 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Correction. The browns run defense was above average. Their passing defense was atrocious! Bad field positions or not any team could pass on us

How much of that was talent vs being on the field 75% of the game. And being consistently put inside their own red zone. I firmly believe with better QB play. Better ST and better clock management. Our pass defense would have been top 15-20 range. Honestly we just need to upgrade the CB and get a FS and we’re set. And not to mention I still believe Howard wilson is going to be a stud once he comes back. I was thoroughly impressed with our mid season waiver wire pick up in Mike Jordan. And we were hit with an injury bug with Ogbah and Collins going down. I’m hoping if we nab a FS in the Draft like an Armani watts and sign a decent Corner. Trumaine Johnson. We could improve tremendously. Then I hope G.Will won’t be playing Peppers 25 yrds back. 

What is all this nonsense about getting a veteran QB to let Sam Darnold sit for a year? Do you guys really think Jared Goff and Carson Wentz would have been this good this quickly if they were sitting the bench year 1? No, they were able to use that year as valuable experience and the offseason to learn from it. If Sam Darnold is truly a franchise QB then he will be in countless hours of film study between year 1 and year 2 to learn and make jumps. Without on field play to learn from in the offseason as well as learning as you go each and every week then year 2 won't be near as good. It might not be a bad year like starting as a rookie might be but he won't be ready for a big time year 2 unless he plays year 1.

3 minutes ago, Dogbite said:

What is all this nonsense about getting a veteran QB to let Sam Darnold sit for a year? Do you guys really think Jared Goff and Carson Wentz would have been this good this quickly if they were sitting the bench year 1? No, they were able to use that year as valuable experience and the offseason to learn from it. If Sam Darnold is truly a franchise QB then he will be in countless hours of film study between year 1 and year 2 to learn and make jumps. Without on field play to learn from in the offseason as well as learning as you go each and every week then year 2 won't be near as good. It might not be a bad year like starting as a rookie might be but he won't be ready for a big time year 2 unless he plays year 1.

Jared Goff did sit the bench for more of year 1 than he played and he was a superior prospect to Darnold.

It probably saved him from developing some terrible techniques under Jeff Fisher.

Strong argument to be made that we should save a more raw Sam Darnold from Hue in that manner.

1 hour ago, bosko1616 said:

How much of that was talent vs being on the field 75% of the game. And being consistently put inside their own red zone. I firmly believe with better QB play. Better ST and better clock management. Our pass defense would have been top 15-20 range. Honestly we just need to upgrade the CB and get a FS and we’re set. And not to mention I still believe Howard wilson is going to be a stud once he comes back. I was thoroughly impressed with our mid season waiver wire pick up in Mike Jordan. And we were hit with an injury bug with Ogbah and Collins going down. I’m hoping if we nab a FS in the Draft like an Armani watts and sign a decent Corner. Trumaine Johnson. We could improve tremendously. Then I hope G.Will won’t be playing Peppers 25 yrds back. 

You could be right but our passing defense was awful and the scheme was pretty bad.    Maybe more inexperience and talent upgrade will help but playing with a safety 25yards deep is bad, leaving the middle wide open is bad, giving WRs a constant 10yards cushion is bad. 

I could see if guys were always in the right place but talent was holding them back. I don’t think that was the main problem. 

I'd like to see McCourty at fa next year. I don't think he I'll be a world beater but he will do ok. 

We need two cb's and them BBC at nickel. Also I like Michael Jordan I would of liked to of seen him play a head of Taylor. 

I sure ire as hell hope he play some press coverage next year.

2 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

Really ?! What have you been watching. Are defense was above average last year. And if it wasn’t for Kizer putting them in terrible positions we would have been top 10. 

Well, to quote Fraser Crane, "Hello in there, Bosko. What color is the sky in your world?"  What I was watching was this:

A defense that was 31st in points per game at 25.6.  A 3rd down conversion % of over 40%- 24th in the league.  A defense that gave a consistent 10 yard cushion to WRs every week.  Almost zero quarterback pressure, although we did manage 34 sacks.  7, I said 7, interceptions.  As a team.  For the season.  7.  Oh, and 17 offside, neutral zone infractions, or encroachment penalties, many coming at the worst possible times.  That is what I was watching.

Oh, I did happen to see one more thing.  In week 5 against that offensive juggernaut, the New York Jets.  Yes, I said the NEW YORK JETS,. In the fourth quarter, with the game still in question, down by three points, this supposed Top Ten defense you just mentioned, allowed the NEW YORK JETS (not the 1980s San Diego Chargers), to march 97 yards for the clinching touchdown.  97 yards.  The Jets. That's what I watched.  But we're good.  Top 10, as a matter of fact.  I know because you just told me.

14 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Well, to quote Fraser Crane, "Hello in there, Bosko. What color is the sky in your world?"  What I was watching was this:

A defense that was 31st in points per game at 25.6.  A 3rd down conversion % of over 40%- 24th in the league.  A defense that gave a consistent 10 yard cushion to WRs every week.  Almost zero quarterback pressure, although we did manage 34 sacks.  7, I said 7, interceptions.  As a team.  For the season.  7.  Oh, and 17 offside, neutral zone infractions, or encroachment penalties, many coming at the worst possible times.  That is what I was watching.

Oh, I did happen to see one more thing.  In week 5 against that offensive juggernaut, the New York Jets.  Yes, I said the NEW YORK JETS,. In the fourth quarter, with the game still in question, down by three points, this supposed Top Ten defense you just mentioned, allowed the NEW YORK JETS (not the 1980s San Diego Chargers), to march 97 yards for the clinching touchdown.  97 yards.  The Jets. That's what I watched.  But we're good.  Top 10, as a matter of fact.  I know because you just told me.

You're on fire today,  Kathouse.

3 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

I'm sorry. I almost forgot another one that I watched.  Week 3.  Indianapolis.  I watched our Top Ten Defense give up over 150 yards receiving to TY Hilton. Not Antonio Brown.  TY Hilton.  Oh, and the Colts quarterback?  Andrew Luck.  Oh, wait.  I'm sorry.  It was a New England back up that had been traded to the Colts.  So our top ten defense allowed a back up QB to complete over 150 yards to one WR.  The only guy on that offense that was going to beat us.  And the defense let him.  We probably moved up from 13 to 10 after that game.

2 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

I'm sorry. I almost forgot another one that I watched.  Week 3.  Indianapolis.  I watched our Top Ten Defense give up over 150 yards receiving to TY Hilton. Not Antonio Brown.  TY Hilton.  Oh, and the Colts quarterback?  Andrew Luck.  Oh, wait.  I'm sorry.  It was a New England back up that had been traded to the Colts.  So our top ten defense allowed a back up QB to complete over 150 yards to one WR.  The only guy on that offense that was going to beat us.  And the defense let him.  We probably moved up from 13 to 10 after that game.

but but but....3 yards per rush means we good....xD

8 minutes ago, Kathouse Sticks said:

Not saying the defense as a whole was top 10. We did somethings right and a lot of things wrong. I would also like to point out how many of these bottom of the league stats came from the defense being on the field for 70% of the game due to the offense either going 3 and out or giving up a turnover? 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

Archived