Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Draft media just starting to really watch stuff and discover that Rashaad Penny isn't good at blocking as well...

The real Question is....how long before they actually watch Saquon Barkley and discover he's just as bad....

We shall see...

My prediction is that Barkley's blocking is picked to pieces over the next 3 months and at the end of the day he's seen as a top 12 player instead of a top 5 lock.

I'm telling you guys...his blocking is atrocious...I was freaking shocked. Kept watching more games to see him in pass pro...and things looked worse and worse.

I don't know if we can take a RB that can't block no matter how special top 5.

Didn’t know blocking was such an important quality for a RB. I mean isn’t that why there’s 3rd down backs ? Honestly if I’m drafting Barkely it’s not to block. It’s to hit homeruns. And put up 100yds a game

4 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

The real Question is....how long before they actually watch Saquon Barkley and discover he's just as bad....

We shall see...

My prediction is that Barkley's blocking is picked to pieces over the next 3 months and at the end of the day he's seen as a top 12 player instead of a top 5 lock.

I'm telling you guys...his blocking is atrocious...I was freaking shocked. Kept watching more games to see him in pass pro...and things looked worse and worse.

I don't know if we can take a RB that can't block no matter how special top 5.

I'm with you. Part of what made Zeke special was his fantastic pass blocking, like, immediate 10 best in the NFL AS A ROOKIE level good.

Barkley would need to be an AP level runner to go top 4 and deserve it with how bad his blocking is, and I don't think he's there.

Saquan Barkley blocking or no blocking is not a RB you can lean on to win you games. He is not a grinder at all. He will wear down before the defense if you try to ride him like Tennessee did with Eddie George, Jacksonville and Fournette, Minnesota and Peterson or even Dallas with Murray and Zeke. He won't consistently win on 3rd and 2-4 the way those guys did when the entire stadium knew where the ball was going. If you are going to try to make Barkley the center piece of your offense and try to lean on him for wins then you are going to end up with a Buffalo Bills/LeSean McCoy situation where 9-7 is probably your peak.

If a RB is not good enough to win games as the center piece then he is not worth a Top 5 selection. I'd start looking at those guys around the 15th pick depending on the board.

5 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Saquan Barkley blocking or no blocking is not a RB you can lean on to win you games. He is not a grinder at all. He will wear down before the defense if you try to ride him like Tennessee did with Eddie George, Jacksonville and Fournette, Minnesota and Peterson or even Dallas with Murray and Zeke. He won't consistently win on 3rd and 2-4 the way those guys did when the entire stadium knew where the ball was going. If you are going to try to make Barkley the center piece of your offense and try to lean on him for wins then you are going to end up with a Buffalo Bills/LeSean McCoy situation where 9-7 is probably your peak.

If a RB is not good enough to win games as the center piece then he is not worth a Top 5 selection. I'd start looking at those guys around the 15th pick depending on the board.

So you’re telling me Saquon Barkley is not RB you can build your team around ? How so. Dudes a physical freak his conditioning is unreal. He Is as strong as an OX. Has speed for days. Can catch. Has amazing lateral ability. Can leap out of the dam stadium He is the definition of a Franchise RB 5’11 230 with 4.4 speed but according to you. he can’t grind ? Like I get it guys you don’t want a RB at 4 but don’t act like he’s Any old average back. Dudes basically Barry Sanders on roids. He’s that good. In my eyes he’s a better playmaker then Zeke. Sure he lacks the blocking. And hasn’t showed as much physicality as Zeke but that’s more speaking to the way he was used. 

12 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I feel like you just are nitpicking a Rb to death because you don’t want a RB drafting at 4

#Shrug

Okay. I'm glad we can express our feelings on here. Care to comment on facts and observations now or do we need a sharing rock?

13 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

If you are going to try to make Barkley the center piece of your offense and try to lean on him for wins then you are going to end up with a Buffalo Bills/LeSean McCoy situation where 9-7 is probably your peak.

So, I typically agree that only the truly special RBs (in all three aspects, catching, running, and blocking) should be taken top ten.

But I'm more interested in this comparison. I've been trying to get a good comp for Barkley, because I like him A LOT, but also feel like he's going to lose as many plays as he wins, and that's a weird combination. Shady was the best comparison I could think of, where sometimes there will be 5 yards blocked and he'll get 50 and sometimes there will be five yards blocked and he'll lose three. Anyone else have thoughts on that comparison?

12 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

I feel like you just are nitpicking a Rb to death because you don’t want a RB drafting at 4

We're talking about elite of the elite prospects and their flaws. These are amazing players, but it's true that all prospects have flaws.

Talking about them isn't nitpicking especially when no one really discusses Barkley's flaws but we're willing to discuss every other prospects'.

You might feel differently  if you watched how many times Saquon 'saloon doored' and got McSorely annihilated.

Then, picture that being our QB1.

It does bear mentioning and should be factored in whether or not Saquon should go 4 versus alternatives.

1 minute ago, bosko1616 said:

So you’re telling me Saquon Barkley is not RB you can build your team around ? How so. Dudes a physical freak his conditioning is unreal. He Is as strong as an OX. Has speed for days. Can catch. Has amazing lateral ability. Can leap out of the dam stadium He is the definition of a Franchise RB 5’11 230 with 4.4 speed but according to you. he can’t grind ? Like I get it guys you don’t want a RB at 4 but don’t act like he’s Any old average back. Dudes basically Barry Sanders on roids. He’s that good. In my eyes he’s a better playmaker then Zeke. Sure he lacks the blocking. And hasn’t showed as much physicality as Zeke but that’s more speaking to the way he was used. 

Not a single shred of his game resembles Barry Sanders. He is 230 but he doesn't play like it. Like I said he is not a grinder. Being a grinder is a mentality more so than size and strength. Barkley is 230 but he plays like LeSean McCoy at 210. I could care less about his 4.4 speed a lot of RBs who can run fast cannot take over a game. Same with his lateral ability. He's not as good as Zeke or Fournette that is why he not worth #4 not because he is a RB. I would have had no problems with Peterson, Fournette or Zeke in the Top 5, but Barkley is not as good as they were.

2 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I can't wait to see how Dorsey, Wolf, Highsmith, and Berry see things.

They have really good discerning eyes especially when it comes to RBs.

Man....it's so long until draft time.

If we are going off of their histories, we are drafting a **** ton of linemen and linebackers.

4 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Also, I am not anti-Barkley. I think he is going to be a fine RB but his value is not in the Top 5. I am pro-trade down and if Barkley is still on the board after we trade back then I would seriously consider him, again depending who is left on the board at that point.

I think this is where I'm at too. If Washington or Arizona wanted to move up from 13/15 for a QB at #4 and were willing to offer a SIGNIFICANT haul, I would be very comfortable going Barkley there (he'll be gone by them between hype and needs, but a man can dream). I'd think about Guice if we moved down with Buffalo.

Note: I'm not ALWAYS pro-trade down. I got why we did the Wentz deal, but I was also becoming sold on him when we made it and was kinda sad. I wanted to stay at #1 and take Garrett. But I don't see the game-changing talent at #4 (assuming we get our QB at #1) that we can't get a similar version of in the teens (Barkley and Guice at RB, Ward/Davis/Jackson at CB, Minkah/Derwin at S, Ridley/Sutton at WR, Roquan/Edmunds at LB, I don't love all of them, but they're all in similar tiers IMO). Chubb might be the exception, but that's a position where I just don't see the need and want our current guys (Garrett, Ogbah) to get MORE snaps, not less.

In all honestly I can’t see this front office using number 4 on Barkely. I think they see how deep this class is and will take one later with bigger issues at QB and in the secondary. But imho. Barkely is as good if not a better playmaker then all three of those guys you mention. I can rock the bigger McCoy comparison. But I still think we haven’t seen the best of him yet. I think he can be as physical back if need be. But why when he can just cut it outside. See the thing about those three backs Zeke,Fournette,and Ap is that they’re prime example of an elite back with a short shelf life. Sure they can dominate like this now but that physicality is going to wear their bodies down look at Fournette and AP they’re injure prone because of it.  so by the time theyre 27.28.29 theyre already past their prime. Where barkely can easily go until 28.29.30 before he starts to decline. Barkely is a playmaker. And is threat to take it to the house everyplay.  Those three guys are grinders you’re right. They manage the pace of the game. Get 20-30 touches 100+ yards blah blah. Barkely can do that too but more often then not he doesn’t need 20 touches to get to 100 he needs maybe 10. I liked the comparisons where he’s Kamara and Ingram if you combined them together. 

Archived