Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

54 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

well there’s a rumor Denzel Ward CB could run a 4.2. If he runs a 4.2 - 4.35 and post top 5 in broad jump and vertical It would be hard to pass on him at 4 if Barkley’s gone. 

I think you're on to something there. As the prospect pool starts to reveal itself to people, it's looking more and more like the options are Barkley, Chubb, Fitzpatrick, or Corner Back.

As Chubb and Fitzpatrick don't really fit our roster as much as a Barkley or a CB1 might, things are point to what we need to do at 4: Trade down within the top 10 and select a CB.

To me, he's the same prospect whether he runs 4.24 or 4.39.

There's a lot to love, but he gets beat a lot... he does fights and has the athleticism to recover.

He's not physical enough or strong enough to be a top 5 selection on an island lock down CB. His press man skills are lacking as well, but his feet are so impeccable that his mirror stepping is some of the best I've ever seen.

In terms of play, Vernon Hargreaves was a much better CB and stronger/thicker athlete albeit with the same height and he went number 11.

Ward will likely be a lock to go top-15 but will likely go in the 10-14 range.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

As Chubb and Fitzpatrick don't really fit our roster as much as a Barkley or a CB1 might, things are point to what we need to do at 4: Trade down within the top 10 and select a CB.

Seems pretty obvious, huh?

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

Who is the best corner for our team?

im not really sure what call how Williams played our DBs I just know they were getting toasted 

That's why we have to take advantage of a nice crop of CBs with <4 picks, which means a tradedown from #4 like @Mind Character  and I are saying

11 minutes ago, bosko1616 said:

Preferably I would like to add a CB in FA and two in the draft at some point. One high and one later. I’d like to see what we got in Wilson. I know what I like in BBC and McCourty. Taylor’s a 4th CB at this point 

If any we have were worth their salt we wouldn't be playing them 7-10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3.

We need to load up on CBs, and somehow find an FS for good measure to have a solid DB.

3 minutes ago, bruceb said:

If any we have were worth their salt we wouldn't be playing them 7-10 yards off the LOS on 3rd and 3.

We need to load up on CBs, and somehow find an FS for good measure to have a solid DB.

100% agreed. We need a true FS as well. Like desperately. I love me some Armani Watts for TA&M

14 hours ago, bruceb said:

Eh, I’m not buying that.

McCourtey and Taylor aren’t stars, but they’re established NFL corners. Maybe they can’t play press with the best WR’s in the game, but they most certainly don’t NEED 10 yard cushions. 

Somehow we’ve gone from an idea of “man, we could use some corners” (which is correct) to “EHRRMAGERRRRRD OUR CORNERS ARE SLOWER THAN LINEMAN AND CAN’T PLAY WITHOUT 15 YARD CUSHIONS OR THEY’LL RUN RIGHT PAST THEM EVERY SNAP!!!” (Which is not).

Unless we’re lining up HS kids at corner, there is no solid rational for 10 yard cushions and a FS 20 yards deep on 3 and short.  

15 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, I’m not buying that.

McCourtey and Taylor aren’t stars, but they’re established NFL corners. Maybe they can’t play press with the best WR’s in the game, but they most certainly don’t NEED 10 yard cushions. 

Somehow we’ve gone from an idea of “man, we could use some corners” (which is correct) to “EHRRMAGERRRRRD OUR CORNERS ARE SLOWER THAN LINEMAN AND CAN’T PLAY WITHOUT 15 YARD CUSHIONS OR THEY’LL RUN RIGHT PAST THEM EVERY SNAP!!!” (Which is not).

Unless we’re lining up HS kids at corner, there is no solid rational for 10 yard cushions and a FS 20 yards deep on 3 and short.  

So you are saying that our corners are fine and Williams is an idiot?

7 minutes ago, bruceb said:

I think theres a middle ground

However I do believe that this playing off and having a safety 30 yards back worked against Antonio Bryant in the fist steelers game and Gregg just kept it ever since (probably felt like a genius)

4 minutes ago, bruceb said:

No, and maybe.

Our corners are NFL caliber.  Maybe not good starters, but they arent incapable of playing the position.  There are worse corners league wide and no one else is running this absurd scheme.

I’m not saying Williams is an idiot, but that scheme, in some of the situations he used it is idiotic. 

Just now, ohiogenius said:

I think theres a middle ground

However I do believe that this playing off and having a safety 30 yards back worked against Antonio Bryant in the fist steelers game and Gregg just kept it ever since (probably felt like a genius)

Yeah, I think it may be a wrinkle that can be used from time to time, but it’s asinine as a base set.

Some really interesting stuff on QBs here from Matt Waldman.

https://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2017/12/30/rsp-film-room-no-119-qbs-lamar-jackson-and-josh-allen-in-the-pocket/

As much as we say we understand that quarterbacking requires this difficult balance of skills and traits, when it comes to the conversation of quarterback development, fans and analyst behavior indicates otherwise: we over-emphasize the physical and mental; we falsely presume the technical will be taught and learned.

Archived