Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

7 minutes ago, mistakey said:

dude that footage is so old i cant make it out but is that randy moss?

Hahahaha! Yes it is! I actually did that for two reasons:

1. To reinforce how long it's been

2. It's LITERALLY the best college footage I could find online...that should tell you how grainy the other stuff was.

6 minutes ago, MWil23 said:

Hahahaha! Yes it is! I actually did that for two reasons:

1. To reinforce how long it's been

2. It's LITERALLY the best college footage I could find online...that should tell you how grainy the other stuff was.

lol nice

blue chip athletically, but he had off field issues. id argue he wasnt blue chip prospect.  he fell to 21.

Moooooore Dataaaaaaaaaa.

His basic take aways:

If you're taking Josh Allen, you're taking him purely on potential because statistically he didn't look like a draftable prospect this year.

Mayfield's bad moments come from him trying to win the game single handedly, that gunslinger mentality. His height hasn't been an issue at all so far (no wide tackles, expanded lanes, or excessive roll outs) but could always become one at the next level as he's not quite as accurate when forced to release at a super high angle to get it over someone.

Rudolph is hard to judge due to his offense. His throws are catchable, but not as perfectly placed as you'd like to see (lots of catchable but with no possibility of YAC). His struggles are in generating zip on throws, pin point placement, and throwing off-platform.

Falk "doesn't have the arm strength to vary the velocity on his throws." Inconsistent pocket presence and limited athleticism to move within or outside of the pocket. Sticks with his first read for too long, too often.

Kurt Benkert is really interesting, but he has "high variability mechanics" that make him prone to long bad stretches, but also really nice streaks.

Kyle Lauletta (if we only needed a late round backup, this is who I'd be looking at). "Lightning fast release", "the ball goes where Kyle Lauletta wants it to go". Not the strongest arm, and has had a lot of balls batter down at the line. Mental decision making is okay, but doesn't keep up with the elite release time yet.

14 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Pretty sure OBJ and Aaron Donald both went 12 or later. I think you can get blue chip guys that late, they just tend to not be pass rushers, QBs, OTs, or CBs.

They’re great players, but I wouldn’t say they were blue chip, can’t miss prospects.

Donald was 6’1, 280.   OBJ was the 3rd receiver taken.

I get what you’re saying, maybe we just have a different definition of “blue chip”

16 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

They’re great players, but I wouldn’t say they were blue chip, can’t miss prospects.

I get what you’re saying, maybe we just have a different definition of “blue chip”

Yep, that's all there is to it. I'm thinking blue chip like elite upside + pro results. You're thinking like, pure pre-draft evaluation and only including at most a handful of guys per draft. I think I've just become cynical after all the top 5 busts I've seen.

34 minutes ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Pretty sure OBJ and Aaron Donald both went 12 or later. I think you can get blue chip guys that late, they just tend to not be pass rushers, QBs, OTs, or CBs.

I like your post and the data that you bring to the able here but this statement is a way off base. I mean just because you are good in the NFL doesn't mean you were a blue chip prospect. Odell and Donald both had major flaws. I mean using this logic then Tom Brady was a blue chip prospect taken in the 6th round.

8 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I like your post and the data that you bring to the able here but this statement is a way off base. I mean just because you are good in the NFL doesn't mean you were a blue chip prospect. Odell and Donald both had major flaws. I mean using this logic then Tom Brady was a blue chip prospect taken in the 6th round.

OBJ played in a low volume offense and didn't have the chance to show off as much and wasn't 6'4. Donald was seen as being too small as well. As I don't particularly care about height thresholds for DTs and I think 5'11.5 is tall enough for a WR (especially with elite athletic testing), I would disagree with that statement. Not matching what people are looking for, while it will certainly drive your price/selection slot down, isn't so much a flaw as just a fact of life.

Brady on the other hand was a wreck physically, got beat out for the starting position at his school, and wasn't half the player he was today.

There is a difference between someone changing who they are as a player post-draft and the league just plain missing on somebody.

Like I already posted above in dialoguing with LGB's it's a question of definition. I've seen too many "blue chip prospects" flame out (rip TRich) to go entirely on pre-draft hype once we have post-draft info. If that's what you guys are talking about... well I'm still not quite sure honestly. Because, say, Patrick WIllis was absolutely a blue chip prospect, but he went about #10 right? Same for Kuechly. So position matters as well as raw talent. I think most would agree that Quenton Nelson is a "blue chip prospect" this year, but he probably won't go until the 7-14 range because he's an OG. 

13 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Like I already posted above in dialoguing with LGB's it's a question of definition. I've seen too many "blue chip prospects" flame out (rip TRich) to go entirely on pre-draft hype once we have post-draft info.

It’s back to that overconfidence concept where people feel the top guys are “so clean” or “can’t miss”, but they can and do every year.

13 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

If that's what you guys are talking about... well I'm still not quite sure honestly. Because, say, Patrick WIllis was absolutely a blue chip prospect, but he went about #10 right? Same for Kuechly. So position matters as well as raw talent. I think most would agree that Quenton Nelson is a "blue chip prospect" this year, but he probably won't go until the 7-14 range because he's an OG. 

This is all true, no doubt. 

17 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I probably missed the context of the convo but Donald is blue chip.

Archived