Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

28 minutes ago, CBrownsman said:

I'm curious with the talk of CB's, from those who watch and understand film better than I do, how is Tavarus McFadden as a prospect?  I know he was VERY highly regarded at the beginning of the year, then with the struggles of FSU he has dropped a lot.  Anyone have some insight on why that was?

I like him but I see purely a zone corner. I love his long arms and he uses them well when the ball is in the air. He is at his best when he can see the ball and react. In man coverage when he is asked to turn his back to the QB he really struggles. He also struggles badly with his feet in man coverage causing him to get beat right at the take off. Despite his long arms he does not get his hands on receivers very well for a jam in man coverage either.

If a team makes decides to make him a FS from the get go and not try to fix his flaws as a CB I believe he could actually flourish in that role. If teams want to try to keep him at CB because it is the premium position but he never gets better with his short comings then he could easily bust and by that time it could be too late for a flip to the FS role.

38 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Interesting discussion but to me  hoping qbs go 1 ,2,3, then we could either draft barkley or trade and get whats left of fitz,chubb,and barkley then we would have two number

1s two number2s  for next next years draft with dorsey being able to evaluate talent for the whole year

This is a nice thought that I have seen thrown around already a hundred times since we locked up the 4th pick. It is at best a pipe dream.

QBs have gone 1-2-3 just twice in the entire history of the draft. 1999 and 1971 and only one other time have 3 gone in the Top 5 and that was 1959 when they went 1-4-5.

Even what is widely considered the greatest QB draft of all time, the 1983 draft, only 1 QB when Top 5 and only 2 in the Top 10.

Heck QBs have only gone 1 & 2 just 7 times in the entire history of the draft(54, 56, 93, 98, 12, 15, 16), so as strange as it sounds I wouldn't even call it a lock that QBs go 1-2 this year.

20 hours ago, Mind Character said:

Wrong again earthling...

They'll be looking for the most demoralized and emotionally abused subset of humans beings so that the newly engineered humanoids created from that group's DNA traces will serve them with total compliance and only need the simpleton distraction/entertainment of a winning sports team to control the new masses in a state of euphoric trance...

Thus, 'tis true that Browns fans have more value in an unknown galaxy light years away than they do on this pale blue dot.

If I were you, I'd start long, non-quality posting...and I'd do it with all deliberate speed.

Dilly Dilly

They'll also be looking for individuals with sage like wisdom. So they will obviously be monitoring my mock drafts and players that I have said we should have drafts. It would show I am above the curve for most GMs. Meaning I am liking a front office candidate for the Jupiter Giants or the Neptune Maelstroms. I won't forget any of you when I'm filling out my scouting department. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar 

I'm all in on 6 CB prospects, believe they will be special on the next level, and have fixated on any/all draft strategies that land us 3 of the 6.

-------------------

2 of 3 CBs which (somehow someway) are selected within our first 4 draft picks:

1. Carlton Davis CB Auburn

2. Joshua Jackson CB Iowa

3. Denzel Ward CB Ohio State

------------------

1 of 3 CBs top 3 with the rest of our picks -OR- 2 of 3 CBs if can't get 2 of the previous:

4, Sam Beal CB Western Michigan

5. Kameron Kelly CB SDSU

6. Jamal Peters CB Miss St.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I'm all in on 6 CB prospects, believe they will be special on the next level, and have fixated on any/all draft strategies that land us 3 of the 6.

-------------------

2 of 3 CBs which (somehow someway) are selected within our first 4 draft picks:

1. Carlton Davis CB Auburn

2. Joshua Jackson CB Iowa

3. Denzel Ward CB Ohio State

------------------

1 of 3 CBs top 3 with the rest of our picks -OR- 2 of 3 CBs if can't get 2 of the previous:

4, Sam Beal CB Western Michigan

5. Kameron Kelly CB SDSU

6. Jamal Peters CB Miss St.

I am all for it.

Complete the D before going nuts on O

Darnold at #1

Trade down #4 with ARZ for a boatload of 2018/2019 high picks

Use the rest of the 2018 picks to trade up as opportune and burn them all on:

2 or 3 of the CBs you mentioned.

1 RB

Billy Price

1 TE

1 WR

1 LB

And call it a draft.

5 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Trading 4 with Buffalo would require both of the Bills 1sts and a 3rd.

It would take more than that to get #4. Picks 21, 22 and #53 would be 1920 for pick #4 which is 1800 and moving up that far teams are going to have to overpay especially when the team at the top holds all the cards. Heck we could get better value dropping down from 4 into the Top 10. I would say minimum of 21, 22 and 2nd or 21, 22 with 2019 2nd and 2020 2nd.

I just finished watching 15 TEs today and I feel like we most definitely made the right decision to trade up for David Njoku. I think he is far superior to any TE in this class. I didn't really see anyone special. Andrews seems to be a decent athlete but not great. Sure hands and good blocker so he will be a long term starter somewhere but Njoku can be special IMO. Dallas Godert is a good athlete but doesn't have close to an NFL frame right now. Even for a pass catching TE I think he takes his lumps for a year or two and blocking? I don't see it ever happening. The only TE I left on my list to continue to scout is Hayden Hurst. I think he can block, has sure hands and can make things happen with his athletic ability. He would be a great #2 behind David Njoku. I will evaluate him more moving forward to determine where I would consider taking him. 

1 hour ago, TheeRealDeal said:

I just finished watching 15 TEs today and I feel like we most definitely made the right decision to trade up for David Njoku. I think he is far superior to any TE in this class. I didn't really see anyone special. Andrews seems to be a decent athlete but not great. Sure hands and good blocker so he will be a long term starter somewhere but Njoku can be special IMO. Dallas Godert is a good athlete but doesn't have close to an NFL frame right now. Even for a pass catching TE I think he takes his lumps for a year or two and blocking? I don't see it ever happening. The only TE I left on my list to continue to scout is Hayden Hurst. I think he can block, has sure hands and can make things happen with his athletic ability. He would be a great #2 behind David Njoku. I will evaluate him more moving forward to determine where I would consider taking him. 

There’s only two TEs I want Mark Andrews or Troy Fumagalli. Anyone else isn’t worth it 

22 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Things that can't be said but are true nonetheless:

Rashaad Penny is the best RB in the draft and Saquon Barkley is the 2nd best RB prospect but the best athlete.

Can u tell me more about Penny? 

I saw the highlights of him and couldn’t really think of a comparison. I know nothing about Penny 

Final Targeted Big Board

At this point, I've watched the vast majority of all the consensus top 64 players' games in 2016 and 2017 (and others), and have reached a finalized evaluation on who I feel the Browns should target as impact players with their first 5 picks.

The underwear Olympics, pro days, and draft rumor mill can't change my evaluation at this point as the film speaks for itself. Unless serious off the field or medical red flags arise, my opinion will remain steadfast.

When it comes to our 5, 1st-2nd round picks, I've narrowed the list down to 12 special impact players that fit our needs, play schemes, or are too supremely talented to pass up.

I've ranked them (1-12) based on how special their impact will be on the Browns (IMO). I also added the draft range whereby they should be targeted for selection.

Ultimately, we should use draft capital, present or future, to acquire as many of these impact talents at the top of the 1st and at the bottom of the 1st round a la the David Njoku trade.

I excluded numerous players from the Target Big Board that I love due to scheme fit issues (Minkah Fitzpatrick, SS Alabama and Vita Vae NT Washington), as well as players I really like but don't think will make the impact that the players on my Big Board will (Courtland Sutton, WR SMU, Hayden Hurst, TE South Carolina, Justin Reid, FS Stanford, Billy Price, C OSU, Kolton Miller, LT UCLA, etc...)

These are final names I want to hear come off the board rounds 1-2 for us.

-------------------------------------------

Final Targeted Big Board

1. Sam Darnold, QB USC - (Top of 1st )

2. Josh Rosen, QB UCLA - (Top of 1st )

3. Carlton Davis, CB Auburn - (10th-28th Pick)

4. Joshua Jackson, CB Iowa - (7th-24th Pick )

5. Saquon Barkley, RB Penn State - (Top 6 Pick )

6. Trumaine Edmunds, LB Va.Tech - (17th-42nd Pick )

7. Denzel Ward, CB Ohio State - (14th-38th Pick )

8. Calvin Ridley, WR Alabama - (15th-35th Pick )

9. Bradley Chubb, DE NC State - (Top 6 Pick )

10. Rashaad Penny, RB SDSU - (23rd-45th Pick )

11. Kameron Kelly FS, SDSU - (40th-66th Pick )

12. Sam Beal, CB Western Michigan - (28th-70th Pick )

11 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Trading 4 with Buffalo would require both of the Bills 1sts and a 3rd.

I hope Dorsey locks DePodesta out of the draft room so that the appalling prospect or trading back that far is never even entertained for one second.

Archived