Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

3 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

As a prospect coming out.

There were definitely knocks against him for not being 6’4 300+.

Suh would be my idea of a blue chip DT prospect, McCoy, etc.

That's fair because Suh was as good a prospect to come out in a long time. I see what you are saying, his measurables were less than Ideal, but everything else with his numbers + production added up to him being a John Randle clone in my book.

135048.jpg

Alabama CB/S Minkah Fitzpatrick only played 13 snaps at outside CB in 2017, according to PFF.

Fitzpatrick's draft conversation might be similar to Jalen Ramsey's from a few years ago, certain evaluators considering him at corner, others at safety. The difference is Ramsey made cornerback his home, whereas Fitzpatrick mainly played safety and moved into the box or slot as a third safety. Either way, Fitzpatrick will likely be a top 10 selection.

More I think about it, the more I agree with myself: 

If Colts get a team to trade with them for #3, Barkley is ours. If Colts draft Barkley, then we can start a bidding war for Allen. If Colts draft someone other than Barkley, we can still start a bidding war for Allen and end up with Barkley! I would love to try and get an extra 2nd or 3rd out of Denver to move up. 

#4 is a pretty awesome spot to be in. 

That is all

mastercheddaar

Minkah played 28 snaps at FS all year as well.

He played all his snaps this year at Nickel CB followed by Strong Safety and LB.

His time at nickel was the leading snap getter by a large margin.

I just don't see the top 5 FS or Boundary CB people talking about.

I see a great player that has redundant qualities as Jabrill Peppers. There are better boundary CB1s out there. There are better true FS out there.

There is no better SS or nickel player.

At 4, it's Saquon, Chubb, or trade down.

16 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Minkah played 28 snaps at FS all year as well.

He played all his snaps this year at Nickel CB followed by Strong Safety and LB.

His time at nickel was the leading snap getter by a large margin.

I just don't see the top 5 FS or Boundary CB people talking about.

I see a great player that has redundant qualities as Jabrill Peppers. There are better boundary CB1s out there. There are better true FS out there.

There is no better SS or nickel player.

At 4, it's Saquon, Chubb, or trade down.

This is the conclusion I am coming to as well. Is a SS/FS worth a #4 pick? I'm quickly puttin Chubb in front of him. 

that is all

Mastercheddaar

I just go offense heavy probably unless there is really a great value for a defensive player early.

We were top 10 defensively in yards per play. We ran 1008 offensive plays and 1026 defensive plays, that is impressive for a defense than had to put up with an offense who turned the ball over 41 times,which is 21% of their drives. Our opposition ran almost 100 more times than we did and had 150 fewer yards, we are pretty good with the run defense. The average drive against our defense was 5.6 plays (13th) for 27.8 yards (7th in the league) and 2 points per drive (27th) but that is with having the 2nd worst average field position for the defense (Denver). We were dead last in turnovers per drive so we do need to be more aggressive which includes tighter coverage and taking risks with single coverage knowing you will get beat occasionally but if you can get a turnover here and there it should be a fair trade off and make the offenses life more miserable.

So whether it be the draft, free agency or hiring of coaches the offense needs a lot more work than the defense. We did protect the QB fairly well and had a top 10 ground game so it's basically getting better passing and avoiding turnovers from the QB.

So... get a QB, a RB if Crowell moves on and a WR early in the draft or in free agency. Then we can work on the defense.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Yes a FS is worth that, but Minkah is not that...He's a SS and we have one of those already.

Completely agree. Minkah is an ideal SS. He is a more natural SS. Heck if the Browns can trade Peppers for a first then I’ll consider taking Minkah. I think he is going to be a better pro than Peppers at the moment. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

6 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Completely agree. Minkah is an ideal SS. He is a more natural SS. Heck if the Browns can trade Peppers for a first then I’ll consider taking Minkah. I think he is going to be a better pro than Peppers at the moment. Hopefully I’m wrong. 

If the Browns could trade Peppers for a first then the world would not make sense. 

Archived