Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

Just now, Mastercheddaar said:

I agreed completely. I'm getting away from drafting Fitz just because he is a safety and there are other positions of need. I was asking where in the draft WOULD we take him. The kid has talent but from what I've seen he is a jack of all trades in the backfield when we need a true CB. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

He isn’t really on my radar.  I mean, if he’s there in round 2 or something, yeah, but unless a lot changes he won’t be.

We need top shelf athletes on the outside or a true FS, I completely agree.

1 hour ago, Mastercheddaar said:

At what point would he become BPA? 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

The point in which we look at the board and the following players have been selected:

Carlton Davis CB, Joshua Jackson CB, Denzel Ward CB, Mike McGlinchey OT, Calvin Ridely WR

As long as these players are available, Minkah is not the BPA for the Browns.

At that point, if I'm the Browns and I'm looking at Tremaine Edmunds and Minkah Fitzpatrick....Minkah is probably BPA.

2 hours ago, Mind Character said:

The point in which we look at the board and the following players have been selected:

Carlton Davis CB, Joshua Jackson CB, Denzel Ward CB, Mike McGlinchey OT, Calvin Ridely WR

As long as these players are available, Minkah is not the BPA for the Browns.

At that point, if I'm the Browns and I'm looking at Tremaine Edmunds and Minkah Fitzpatrick....Minkah is probably BPA.

It seems like in many mocks then, Fitz has become the lazy man's "Its the browns just give them someone and move on" popular pick. 

If Barkley is gone do we take Chubb and be happy or should we really start looking at the LTs available?

That is all

mastercheddaar

Anyone mentioned the impact that Josh McDaniels could have on our 4th pick?

He's always been a backfield by committee guy, and with both Dion Lewis and Rex Burkhead being free agents, he could opt to bring one of those to Indy with him and pair them with Marlon Mack and maybe Frank Gore.

This would likely open up Saquon Barkley at 4 as a realistic option.

I also believe the best thing that could happen is for Bradley Chubb to blow the doors off his combine performance. Open up Indy to take him and even if they don't and they do go with Saquon, I'd feel a lot better about Chubb knowing he's a freak athlete.

It's still Sam Darnold and Saquon Barkley for me, and I don't foresee that changing by draft day.

42 minutes ago, Mastercheddaar said:

It seems like in many mocks then, Fitz has become the lazy man's "Its the browns just give them someone and move on" popular pick. 

If Barkley is gone do we take Chubb and be happy or should we really start looking at the LTs available?

That is all

mastercheddaar

I really think the people that mock Minkah to us either: 1.)  Don't watch the Browns or know our roster intimately, 2.) Incorrectly assume that a former CB that transitions to Safety must definitely have transitioned to Free Safety., 3.) Don't actually watch Minkah's games closely and see where he's lined up/his play abilities.

It's really that simple.

Anyone that has Minkah as a Free Safety including guys in the media I like at times (Matt Miller) can't have actually watched him.

They see the Browns need a FS and Minkah played CB at Bama and now plays safety...so they assume that means FS.

They mistakenly think that means Minkah plays FS for Bama when Bama lists Minkah on the depth chart as a Strong Safety and his snap breakdown this year was 38% Strong Safety alignment, 52% nickel CB/SS, 4% WLB, 4% Single High FS; 2% Boundary CB.

He literally NEVER plays deep FS whether that be in cover 3, cover 1, cover 2, cover 4...he just doesn't play that role.

And even crazier is that fact that he didn't do so last year either.

The real question is...does his skill set match that of a FS? The answer is hell to the nah he's an amazing SS prospect and nickel SS so leave him there where his skill shines...just like Jabrill Peppers and Jamal Adams.

Could Jamal Adams play FS? Of course, he's talented but it would be under-utilizing him. Same with Jabrill Peppers and Minkah.

Minkah doesn't naturally range and make plays on the ball and is a little stiff in the hips having trouble flipping them and running via a smooth transition...which is why he struggled with Hunter Renfrow in the NCG via the Nickel spot.

If Barkley is gone, the only one worth that pick is Chubb, but it makes more sense to trade down and look for an impact position that we need; that is Corner Back.

There is no LT worth the 4th pick nor is there one worth a top20 selection. The only one worth a 1st round pick is Mike McGlinchey.

3 hours ago, Mind Character said:

I really think the people that mock Minkah to us either: 1.)  Don't watch the Browns or know our roster intimately, 2.) Incorrectly assume that a former CB that transitions to Safety must definitely have transitioned to Free Safety., 3.) Don't actually watch Minkah's games closely and see where he's lined up/his play abilities.

It's really that simple.

Anyone that has Minkah as a Free Safety including guys in the media I like at times (Matt Miller) can't have actually watched him.

They see the Browns need a FS and Minkah played CB at Bama and now plays safety...so they assume that means FS.

They mistakenly think that means Minkah plays FS for Bama when Bama lists Minkah on the depth chart as a Strong Safety and his snap breakdown this year was 38% Strong Safety alignment, 52% nickel CB/SS, 4% WLB, 4% Single High FS; 2% Boundary CB.

He literally NEVER plays deep FS whether that be in cover 3, cover 1, cover 2, cover 4...he just doesn't play that role.

And even crazier is that fact that he didn't do so last year either.

The real question is...does his skill set match that of a FS? The answer is hell to the nah he's an amazing SS prospect and nickel SS so leave him there where his skill shines...just like Jabrill Peppers and Jamal Adams.

Could Jamal Adams play FS? Of course, he's talented but it would be under-utilizing him. Same with Jabrill Peppers and Minkah.

Minkah doesn't naturally range and make plays on the ball and is a little stiff in the hips having trouble flipping them and running via a smooth transition...which is why he struggled with Hunter Renfrow in the NCG via the Nickel spot.

If Barkley is gone, the only one worth that pick is Chubb, but it makes more sense to trade down and look for an impact position that we need; that is Corner Back.

There is no LT worth the 4th pick nor is there one worth a top20 selection. The only one worth a 1st round pick is Mike McGlinchey.

Yeah over on the browns reddit they have full hard ons for Minkah. It’s ridiculous 

Love Daniel Jeremiah's work...he was a former Browns scout as well.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000908233/article/jeremiah-mock-draft-10-browns-jets-fins-redskins-take-qb

He has us taking Darnold and Minkah, but properly described Minkah as a defensive playmaker and "not really a free safety."

Furthermore, in a podcast he said that if Saquon Barkley is off the board, it would probably be wise for us to trade back instead of drafting Minkah or Chubb.

I agree

This CB class is insane.

I watched  Darious Williams from UAB and Mike Hughes from UCF, as well as Dontee Jackson out of LSU

Jackson is so overhyped it's not even funny. He's garbage.

Hughes is an ultra competitive player with 2nd round value.He playsbig

Darious Williams might be my favorite in the draft.

21 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

This CB class is insane.

I watched  Darious Williams from UAB and Mike Hughes from UCF, as well as Dontee Jackson out of LSU

Jackson is so overhyped it's not even funny. He's garbage.

Hughes is an ultra competitive player with 2nd round value.He playsbig

Darious Williams might be my favorite in the draft.

We should aim to replace the entire cb core with rookies and f/a’s And move someone to fs

I Love this CB class aswell.  There are so many different flavors of ice cream, it's overwhelming. 

You got your top 3: Jackson/Davis/Ward

But tier 2 and tier 3 all are exceptionally talented and bring a different dimension. 

Tier 2:

Jaire Alexander 

Levi Wallace

Duke Dawson

Tarvarus McFadden 

Tier 3:

JC Jackson

Quenton Meeks 

Kamerion Kelly 

Darius Phillips

Anthony Averett

This is just my rankings as of now in no particular order, but there's so much talent. The Browns legit could bring in 1 offseason signee in Trumaine Johnson, and bring ballers in to learn from him and eventually unseat him. 

I'd personally love to see Jackson opposite of Johnson. Dawson at nickel learning from Calhoun, and Meeks brought in to bring added depth, competition and to learn behind Johnson and Jackson. Maybe even bring in Kamerion Kelly as he was a FS, before he transitioned into a CB. He would bring versatility with coverages. 

DBs best friend is pressure from the DL, so I would totally commit to building the rest of the defense this year if we want to see confidence early in these young guys and not hinder their development.

Browns fans on Instagram really worry me.

The team posted a picture of Darnold alongside an article and the comments are just mindnumblingly stupid...

"He's a bust"

"He is terrible NOOOOO"

"We don't need a QB"

"How is Kizer supposed to be our franchise QB if we don't let him play"

Genuine question... is this the general consensus among Browns fans in and around Cleveland? Or is this just the extreme end of social media.

I'd like to think this forum is more indicative of the average Browns fan?

2 minutes ago, Aztec Hammer said:

Browns fans on Instagram really worry me.

The team posted a picture of Darnold alongside an article and the comments are just mindnumblingly stupid...

"He's a bust"

"He is terrible NOOOOO"

"We don't need a QB"

"How is Kizer supposed to be our franchise QB if we don't let him play"

Genuine question... is this the general consensus among Browns fans in and around Cleveland? Or is this just the extreme end of social media.

I'd like to think this forum is more indicative of the average Browns fan?

The majority of IG and social media comments are from kids and casuals. They should be ignored. 

So I’m slowly but surely loving the idea of trading down from 4 for more picks possibly a legit veteran. I really like a lot of guys that sit btwn 15-62 if we could trade 4 and most our picks after round 4 to have like 8 picks in this part of the draft I think it would be perfect. 

5 hours ago, dawgpound1816 said:

I Love this CB class aswell.  There are so many different flavors of ice cream, it's overwhelming. 

You got your top 3: Jackson/Davis/Ward

But tier 2 and tier 3 all are exceptionally talented and bring a different dimension. 

Tier 2:

Jaire Alexander 

Levi Wallace

Duke Dawson

Tarvarus McFadden 

Tier 3:

JC Jackson

Quenton Meeks 

Kamerion Kelly 

Darius Phillips

Anthony Averett

This is just my rankings as of now in no particular order, but there's so much talent. The Browns legit could bring in 1 offseason signee in Trumaine Johnson, and bring ballers in to learn from him and eventually unseat him. 

I'd personally love to see Jackson opposite of Johnson. Dawson at nickel learning from Calhoun, and Meeks brought in to bring added depth, competition and to learn behind Johnson and Jackson. Maybe even bring in Kamerion Kelly as he was a FS, before he transitioned into a CB. He would bring versatility with coverages. 

DBs best friend is pressure from the DL, so I would totally commit to building the rest of the defense this year if we want to see confidence early in these young guys and not hinder their development.

That's a solid list and ranking.

I'm all aboard the Kameron Kelly at FS. His film playing FS is exceptional ( he played a whole season there before switching to CB due to team need this past year).

My CB Rankings so far are:

CB1 - Blue Chip Impact Starters:

1. Carlton Davis CB, Auburn

2. Darious Williams, CB UAB

3. Joshua Jackson, CB Iowa

4. Denzel Ward, CB OSU 

5. Mike Hughes, CB UCF

6. Duke Dawson, CB Florida

CB2 - With CB1 Upside

7. Nick Nelson, CB Wisconsin

8. Tarvarus Mcfadden, CB FSU

9. Kevin Toliver II, CB LSU