Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

Bad News: Rashaad Penny can't block.

I went back to watch my Top RBs ability to block....his blocking skills are atrocious.

Really disappointed. I hope it can be coached up, but it's something I'm trying to get a handle on.

Saquon Barkley's blocking is terrible as well and it's shocking to me that no one is talking about it yet.

I'm still trying to figure out to what extent blocking ability should hurt my evaluation of them.

4 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Bad News: Rashaad Penny can't block.

I went back to watch my Top RBs ability to block....his blocking skills are atrocious.

Really disappointed. I hope it can be coached up, but it's something I'm trying to get a handle on.

Saquon Barkley's blocking is terrible as well and it's shocking to me that no one is talking about it yet.

I'm still trying to figure out to what extent blocking ability should hurt my evaluation of them.

Jim Brown wasn't a good blocker. According to reports.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

Depends on what the offensive scheme asks the RB to do. If it is blocking a pass rushing DE on deep routes it is probably pretty important that he is a great blocker.

16 hours ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Exactly.

That front 7 in Jacksonville just drug Blake Bortles to the AFC championship game.  

It’s a proven way to win games.

True but their entire front was primarily built through FA. Jackson, Dareus and Campbell we're all brought in during free agency along with Church, Gipson and Bouye in the secondary.

The Jaguars didn't just all of a sudden develop a bunch of first and second year players into a championship level defense. I am not a fan of overstocking one particular position group and completely neglecting far bigger areas of need of your team.

We have enough young players with talent, they need good veterans to help them take that next step and right now it's more blind leading the blind.

Do you think Myles Jack and Telvin Smith would still have the impact they do if they didn't have Calais Campbell, Paul P, Malik Jackson and Marcel Dareus in the front 7 with them?

My point is you can't just build and entire team full of top 10 draft picks and expect rapid development. Every Von Miller needs his DeMarcus Ware-- meaning I would much rather target a veteran pass rusher to play opposite of Myles Garrett (like Elvis Dumervil type) instead of investing yet another top 5 pick.

9 hours ago, Thomas5737 said:

Depends on what the offensive scheme asks the RB to do. If it is blocking a pass rushing DE on deep routes it is probably pretty important that he is a great blocker.

Well considering Hue Jackson does nothing but launch the ball down field 20x per game I'm pretty sure it's important for our starting RB to block lol

51 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

True but their entire front was primarily built through FA. Jackson, Dareus and Campbell we're all brought in during free agency along with Church, Gipson and Bouye in the secondary.

The Jaguars didn't just all of a sudden develop a bunch of first and second year players into a championship level defense. I am not a fan of overstocking one particular position group and completely neglecting far bigger areas of need of your team.

We have enough young players with talent, they need good veterans to help them take that next step and right now it's more blind leading the blind.

Do you think Myles Jack and Telvin Smith would still have the impact they do if they didn't have Calais Campbell, Paul P, Malik Jackson and Marcel Dareus in the front 7 with them?

My point is you can't just build and entire team full of top 10 draft picks and expect rapid development. Every Von Miller needs his DeMarcus Ware-- meaning I would much rather target a veteran pass rusher to play opposite of Myles Garrett (like Elvis Dumervil type) instead of investing yet another top 5 pick.

I don’t disagree, lucky we have nine figures of cap space to start signing those type of guys.

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I don’t disagree, lucky we have nine figures of cap space to start signing those type of guys.

I don't think they need to go overboard like Jax did and literally sign every FA on the market, but they need to bring in one Calais Campbell or Malik Jackson level talent at each level.

The only one we have right now is Jamie Collins and Christan Kirksey with the LBs. Look what that did for Joe Schobert having the most stable veteran position group on the team.

We need a Collins/Kirksey at each level and right now we don't have a single one on the defensive line, safety, receiver, tight end or quarterback. Jason McCourty is the only veteran presence holding the entire secondary together and I'm pretty sure he's gone now.

Just now, AkronsWitness said:

I don't think they need to go overboard like Jax did and literally sign every FA on the market, but they need to bring in one Calais Campbell or Malik Jackson level talent at each level.

The only one we have right now is Jamie Collins and Christan Kirksey with the LBs. Look what that did for Joe Schobert having the most stable veteran position group on the team.

We need a Collins/Kirksey at each level and right now we don't have a single one on the defensive line, safety, receiver, tight end or quarterback. Jason McCourty is the only veteran presence holding the entire secondary together.

Well said.

The Jags did a great job of signing great players though, not a bunch of Paul Krugers or Gary Baxters.

Im not a huge fan of going crazy in free agency, but if you can get some top shelf guys I’m all in.

4 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Well said.

The Jags did a great job of signing great players though, not a bunch of Paul Krugers or Gary Baxters.

Im not a huge fan of going crazy in free agency, but if you can get some top shelf guys I’m all in.

Oh absolutely. They tried last year with Tony Jefferson but I can't believe that fell through.

It's all about trying to add a good veteran at every level to lead their group and be the voice so everything is not strictly on Garrett, Ogbah, Peppers, Njoku and Coleman's own development.

Hate to keep referencing them but another example is the 2013-2016 Broncos. They brought in a pro bowl level player at each level in one off-season and it elevated the talent they already had to next level. Ware paired with Miller, Talib paired with Harris Jr. and Ward paired with Stewart at safety. 

Put the puzzle pieces together, give each player a veteran counterpart and watch the development go into hyperdrive.

At the same time.....when you have a Vet Coaching staff.....Al Saunders, Greg Williams, Clyd Simmons, Hue Jackson, Kirby Wilson....I feel having the Veteran, but in my opinion that is more of a game day leadership thing (calming players down after a bad play, how to and when to block out the refs on bad calls, calming down two young players getting heated at one another on the sideline ect.)....and a Man/Life thing off the field (living in a new city, how to keep friends and family from becoming financial burdens, what to do the first time your wife catches you cheating with a piece of Road Tail, ect). Players skill developing within the football System the team runs is SQUARELY on the position coaches/Coordinators/HC....

Draft media just starting to really watch stuff and discover that Rashaad Penny isn't good at blocking as well...

The real Question is....how long before they actually watch Saquon Barkley and discover he's just as bad....

We shall see...

My prediction is that Barkley's blocking is picked to pieces over the next 3 months and at the end of the day he's seen as a top 12 player instead of a top 5 lock.

I'm telling you guys...his blocking is atrocious...I was freaking shocked. Kept watching more games to see him in pass pro...and things looked worse and worse.

I don't know if we can take a RB that can't block no matter how special top 5.

Archived