Draft Discussion 2.0

FGK

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Eh, I’m not buying that.

McCourtey and Taylor aren’t stars, but they’re established NFL corners. Maybe they can’t play press with the best WR’s in the game, but they most certainly don’t NEED 10 yard cushions. 

Somehow we’ve gone from an idea of “man, we could use some corners” (which is correct) to “EHRRMAGERRRRRD OUR CORNERS ARE SLOWER THAN LINEMAN AND CAN’T PLAY WITHOUT 15 YARD CUSHIONS OR THEY’LL RUN RIGHT PAST THEM EVERY SNAP!!!” (Which is not).

Unless we’re lining up HS kids at corner, there is no solid rational for 10 yard cushions and a FS 20 yards deep on 3 and short.  

1 hour ago, bruceb said:

So you are saying that our corners are fine and Williams is an idiot?

Objection: leading the witness. 

2 hours ago, candyman93 said:

I feel like Sam Darnold and Saquon Barkley would be monsters on RPO plays. Sam can run, but you obviously don’t want him getting killed. Also, that play at 2:36 made my jaw drop.

Ty.

Saw a lot of plays that made my jaw drop.

Didn't know he could run so well.

33 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m sold on Chubb at 4. I want to be good at something.

Garrett, Chubb, and Ogbah would give us an identity.

I dont know about taking a situational pass rusher top 5 overall. He plays the exact same role as Ogbah so you would then have two high draft picks splitting time with one another.

I would rather target a speed rusher in the 2nd round to bring in on passing situations to play WITH Garrett/Ogbah. Not send one of them to the bench. Is there any speed rushing OLBs that could be had in the 2nd/3rd?

A guy like Arden Key would be perfect but he is projected to go 8-15. Essentially I want a 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 DE pass rusher. Maybe Dorance Armstrong from Kansas?

4 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I dont know about taking a situational pass rusher top 5 overall. He plays the exact same role as Ogbah so you would then have two high draft picks splitting time with one another.

I would rather target a speed rusher in the 2nd round to bring in on passing situations to play WITH Garrett/Ogbah. Not send one of them to the bench. Is there any speed rushing OLBs that could be had in the 2nd/3rd?

A guy like Arden Key would be perfect but he is projected to go 8-15. Essentially I want a 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 DE pass rusher.

Chubb wouldn’t be taking snaps from Ogbah and Garrett though, he’d be taking them from Nassib and Orchard.

There would be plenty of snaps for everyone.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Chubb wouldn’t be taking snaps from Ogbah and Garrett though, he’d be taking them from Nassib and Orchard.

There would be plenty of snaps for everyone.

Yea but its still taking a guy top 5 overall to play situational. Top 5 you need a every down difference maker. Not a rotational piece. Plus I think the Browns have invested enough high round picks on the front 7. Outside of a speed rusher on passing downs, the Browns front 7 is already the strongest unit on the team.

I would prefer to spend a pick that high on a every down difference maker at a position of need. Like the secondary or RB.

23 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

A guy like Arden Key would be perfect but he is projected to go 8-15. Essentially I want a 3-4 OLB not a 4-3 DE pass rusher. Maybe Dorance Armstrong from Kansas?

I doubt the Jaguars regret the role Dante Fowler is in. Ogbah would be the rotational guy.

18 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I doubt the Jaguars regret the role Dante Fowler is in. Ogbah would be the rotational guy.

It all depends if you think Chubb is a guaranteed 10+ sack guy. If he is, then fine--but Ogbah is a very solid player who doesnt make DE pass rusher even in the top 5 needs of the team. I personally dont think he is. He is not near the talent of Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Miller and if your taking him #4 overall--he better be.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

It all depends if you think Chubb is a guaranteed 10+ sack guy. If he is, then fine--but Ogbah is a very solid player who doesnt make DE pass rusher even in the top 5 needs of the team. I personally dont think he is. He is not near the talent of Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Miller and if your taking him #4 overall--he better be.

This is where we disagree. I do not see Ogbah being special at all and I think Chubb can be a 10+ sack guy.

6 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

I don’t know about that. Chubb was a complete stud his last two seasons. Jr and Sr year he combined for 40+ TFL and 20+ sacks. Better two year span than Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Miller. Dude is a bonafide stud!

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

This is where we disagree. I do not see Ogbah being special at all and I think Chubb can be a 10+ sack guy.

Ogbah could be a special #2 guy. Chubb and Garrett can be special #1 guys. I would love for the browns to draft Chubb if they can’t get Barkley. Would love to see them trade back up into the teens to get the best defensive back

17 minutes ago, buno67 said:

I don’t know about that. Chubb was a complete stud his last two seasons. Jr and Sr year he combined for 40+ TFL and 20+ sacks. Better two year span than Garrett/Clowney/Mack/Miller. Dude is a bonafide stud!

Sack totals in college mean nothing. Nate Orchard had 18 sacks in 1 season at Utah and he has been terrible in the NFL. Ogbah had two 10+ sack years in college as well but he has been very solid. Its all about ceiling and projecting where you can be after college, not just college production. What seperates Garrett/Clowney/Miller is that in college they were still extremely raw but had a extremely high ceiling to build up to.

I dont think Chubb has that type of ceiling or any of the freak traits that Garrett/Clowney/Miller had as prospects. Hes just not the physical freak talent of those other pass rushers taken top 5.

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I think he's criminally underrated honestly. In 10 games this year, which keep in mind he only got to play 5 games with Myles Garrett, he had 29 tackles, 4 sacks, 2 forced fumbles and 5 passes defended. No doubt that had he and Garrett had a season playing together where both were healthy that his sack totals would have been much greater. His ability to time his leap while playing the pass has been superb. as a DE he was probably going to have 8-10 pd's on the year. Pittsburgh led the league in sacks this year, yet only one guy had double digit totals, and that was their 300 pound 3-4 DE. The Rams only had Donald with double digit sacks. 

The four main LB's we used this season need to give us more than 11 sacks combined. Nassib can do better than 3 sacks in 16 games. 

Archived