Next Patriots Head Coach (Post-Belichick Era?)

DoleINGout

Next Patriots Head Coach  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the best choice to coach the Patriots going forward?

• Jim Harbaugh
    • Brian Flores
    • Eric Bienemy
    • Ben Johnson
    • Bill Belichick
    • Not Listed

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/05/2024 at 08:54 AM

I don’t think any of the options listed are going to be bad fits. Heck Dan Quinn could also be fine as a head coach. Mike Vrabel too if he were fired from Tennessee.

My pick? I’ll take Jim Harbaugh because they gave the Pats a hard time in their prime under Jim and he has done nothing but succeed everywhere at all levels. His personality and tenacity are infectious and fans can embrace that. His expertise and philosophy is refreshing and productive.

My second choice? Brian Flores. Young, familiar, distinctive in style and successful in each position he has held. Brings a similar intensity and tenacity to Jim Harbaugh that I think can revitalize the team.

My third choice? Ben Johnson. Formerly of BC where he got his start in coaching before eventually crossing paths with Matt Patricia on the Lions staff where Ben has survived and now thrived. Familiarity with area and Patricia who the Krafts reportedly as recently as last off-season were always very fond of works in Ben Johnson’s favor. Also going for him? Same age as Flores but with a specialty on offense. Last bit of information to make is that he spent plenty of years on the Dolphins staff whom Belichick historically loses to which shows at least some more familiarity with the Patriots current system under Bill and just the structure of the AFC East in general.

If fired, Mike Vrabel seems to be the favorite of the Kraft’s however and most likely to be pursued. They’re openly fond if Vrabel just look it up.

I want Bobby Slowik. He managed to turn around the Texans offense in a single year with the insertion of the #2 overall pick (a guy who, let's remember, a lot of people were very skeptical of). He could do the same here. Shanahan tree guy. Has a coaching pedigree. Players seem to like him. Looks like a bit of a goober, but so does Mike McDaniel.

• Like 1

On 12/22/2023 at 11:12 PM, DoleINGout said:

I don’t think any of the options listed are going to be bad fits. Heck Dan Quinn could also be fine as a head coach. Mike Vrabel too if he were fired from Tennessee.

My pick? I’ll take Jim Harbaugh because they gave the Pats a hard time in their prime under Jim and he has done nothing but succeed everywhere at all levels. His personality and tenacity are infectious and fans can embrace that. His expertise and philosophy is refreshing and productive.

My second choice? Brian Flores. Young, familiar, distinctive in style and successful in each position he has held. Brings a similar intensity and tenacity to Jim Harbaugh that I think can revitalize the team.

My third choice? Ben Johnson. Formerly of BC where he got his start in coaching before eventually crossing paths with Matt Patricia on the Lions staff where Ben has survived and now thrived. Familiarity with area and Patricia who the Krafts reportedly as recently as last off-season were always very fond of works in Ben Johnson’s favor. Also going for him? Same age as Flores but with a specialty on offense. Last bit of information to make is that he spent plenty of years on the Dolphins staff whom Belichick historically loses to which shows at least some more familiarity with the Patriots current system under Bill and just the structure of the AFC East in general.

If fired, Mike Vrabel seems to be the favorite of the Kraft’s however and most likely to be pursued. They’re openly fond if Vrabel just look it up.

" he has done nothing but succeed everywhere at all levels."

I  go with Harbuagh as well  He's the only one other BB that has been a successful HC with a  proven record in the NFL.

Slowik and Macdonald are good calls, I like both as "light" versions of Johnson and Flores respectively. Maybe not as sought-after, not as experienced, but eventually they could have similar trajectories.

I'm skeptical of Harbaugh. At the end of his first NFL stint his team faltered and tethering himself to Kaepernick and (iirc) falling out with ownership didn't help either. He was good in college, but has not gotten over the hump (one bowl victory 8 years ago). I think he's not the best team builder for long term success and needs a strong GM to work with. The same is true for Flores as well, imo. His Miami tenure from an offensive POV was rough, to say the least. He needs help hiring offensive coaches. Same for Vrabel, now that I think about it.

Gotta agree on Harbaugh, much as I'd like him, if he leaves Michigan he'll head somewhere pieces are in place and he's not following in massive footsteps. There's simply nothing to attract him to NE, unless Kraft goes crazy with money. I'd also be against both Vrabel and Flores, not because I don't like them, but because part of me says a clean break from the old era is best and they're both BB guys.

Someone young and fresh will be good, I know that's just the copycat hire - McVay, O'Connell, McDaniel etc. - but I genuinely think it's what's needed for the team. Slowik's not a bad shout, I like Jeff Ulbrich (Jets DC) too.

• Like 2

Bobby Slowik is the one I'm leaning towards most, now. Good call. Pair him with Michael Penix Jr. and they Pats will be in good hands for a little while. Ben Johnson supposedly wants a huge contract which eliminated him from realistic consideration in my mind.

On 12/23/2023 at 11:01 AM, Apparition said:

I want Bobby Slowik. He managed to turn around the Texans offense in a single year with the insertion of the #2 overall pick (a guy who, let's remember, a lot of people were very skeptical of). He could do the same here. Shanahan tree guy. Has a coaching pedigree. Players seem to like him. Looks like a bit of a goober, but so does Mike McDaniel.

12 hours ago, ChazStandard said:

Jeff Ulbrich

Good mention. We'll add him to the impressive list. I guess I'll toss in Keenan McCardell as a guy who should be recruited from the Vikings again. Perhaps he can serve as an offensive coordinator or assistant to Slowik in some capacity?

Bobby Slowik, Mike Vrabel, Bill Belichick, Mike MacDonald, Brian Flores, Ben Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Ulbrich, Eric Bienemy, Jerod Mayo.

Anyone else we think it could be? Are we sure the best option is one of these guys or that the head coach will be one of these guys?

12 hours ago, DoleINGout said:

Good mention. We'll add him to the impressive list. I guess I'll toss in Keenan McCardell as a guy who should be recruited from the Vikings again. Perhaps he can serve as an offensive coordinator or assistant to Slowik in some capacity?

Bobby Slowik, Mike Vrabel, Bill Belichick, Mike MacDonald, Brian Flores, Ben Johnson, Jim Harbaugh, Jeff Ulbrich, Eric Bienemy, Jerod Mayo.

Anyone else we think it could be? Are we sure the best option is one of these guys or that the head coach will be one of these guys?

reply-hazy.jpg

Someone outside of the organization, please. Moving on from Bill, only to hire a McDaniels, Mayo, etc. would be pointless, imo. We've seen McDaniels as a head coach. Maybe Mayo would have a different philosophy, but I doubt it. The Rapport story from yesterday has me terrified that Kraft is going to take the easy way out.

Some ideas: Bobby Slowik, Brian Griese, or Washington's current OC.