Week 17 Packers @ Vikings - The Win-win Scenario

LLcheesehead12

7 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Probably going to have to listen to Romo blabbing all afternoon .. game on CBS.

I don't mind Romo anywhere near some of the other guys .. named Troy A.  There are a few that one would rather listen to the radio broadcast but can't due to time lapse between the plays and the announcing.  Norm could be broadcasting and I'd like it if the Packers win next Sunday!  Sorry Norm .. couldn't help myself.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

One of the things that makes me most happy about today’s game is how hard the team played. I was pretty disappointed with MLF’s handling of the Barry situation - I didn’t want him fired, his positives far outweigh his negatives and I’m hoping this will be a learning opportunity for him, but I did feel there was a very real chance he was losing the team. Whatever he did this week - the suspensions, the talks, etc - it clearly worked. Beyond Barry calling better plays, the defense played with a passion that clearly wasn’t there last week. That feels like good leadership to me.

Too late ..  Barry can't process in game changes fast enough.  Even worse, his soft zone game planning doesn't fit his players until the heat gets really hot and forces him to get aggressive.  Every game he gets aggressive with blitzes/stunts the defense looks decent.  He just can't help himself and reverts to the soft zone crap.  Sorry dude, Barry's positives DO NOT outweigh his negatives regardless how the season ends.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Packer_ESP said:

One of the things that makes me most happy about today’s game is how hard the team played. I was pretty disappointed with MLF’s handling of the Barry situation - I didn’t want him fired, his positives far outweigh his negatives and I’m hoping this will be a learning opportunity for him, but I did feel there was a very real chance he was losing the team. Whatever he did this week - the suspensions, the talks, etc - it clearly worked. Beyond Barry calling better plays, the defense played with a passion that clearly wasn’t there last week. That feels like good leadership to me.

Remove JA / Stokes

Insert Valentine / Ballentine

Defense passivity problem is largely solved.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Brit Pack said:

You know the biggest difference between Rodgers and Love. If Rodgers misses that first play deep throw to Reed like Love did, that would be game over for Rodgers, he would have a terrible game. Love is so cool and poised he isn't the mental midget that Rodgers is. 

Apologies wanted to start 2024 with a shot to Rodgers!!!

That's alright. Get it off your chest, and then let it go! He's no longer on the team! You will feel much better once you do!

33 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Toure's season has been a legit disaster.  He was high on my list of players I thought would take a big step up this year.

Heh heh, I recall posting the idea that Toure and Reed might share a lot of snaps as #3 WR!  :):):). Little did I anticipate that Reed, Wicks, Heath, and Melton would all fly way past him.  

I wonder if Doubs and Heath are competing for the Lazard-blocking role?  They were 1st and 3rd in snaps yesterday (56, 46), but got only 6 and 2 targets out of 34.  Will be interesting to see whether Doubs will retain a main role, or whether by next year with another full camp, the younger guys will move past him?  

Edited by craig

28 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Toure's season has been a legit disaster.  He was high on my list of players I thought would take a big step up this year.

It likely ended with that fumbled punt too. Melton has to be put on the 53 or released. Guess which one is going to happen? Guess whose post is in jeopardy?

5 minutes ago, craig said:

Heh heh, I recall posting the idea that Toure and Reed might share a lot of snaps as #3 WR!  :):):). Little did I anticipate that Reed, Wicks, Heath, and Melton would all fly way past him.  

I wonder if Toure and Heath are competing for the Lazard-blocking role?  They were 1st and 3rd in snaps yesterday (56, 46), but got only 6 and 2 targets out of 34.  Will be interesting to see whether Doubs will retain a main role, or whether by next year with another full camp, the younger guys will move past him?  

Doubs role has already been greatly reduced.  When GB actually has a healthy WR room, Watson and Reed are the clear top guys, while Doubs/Wicks share the WR3 snaps.  If GB does look to grab another WR on day 2 (I don't think they will) Doubs could be pushed to WR5 sooner rather than later.

1 hour ago, coachbuns said:

I don't mind Romo anywhere near some of the other guys .. named Troy A.  There are a few that one would rather listen to the radio broadcast but can't due to time lapse between the plays and the announcing.  Norm could be broadcasting and I'd like it if the Packers win next Sunday!  Sorry Norm .. couldn't help myself.

Interesting....I like Aikman over Romo primarily because Aikman knows how to shut up. He gets into the play, says something about it and gets out. I think Romo believes it's his job to talk incessantly and fill time from snap to snap. Turns into white noise for me. 

13 minutes ago, craig said:

I wonder if Toure and Heath are competing for the Lazard-blocking role?  They were 1st and 3rd in snaps yesterday (56, 46), but got only 6 and 2 targets out of 34.  Will be interesting to see whether Doubs will retain a main role, or whether by next year with another full camp, the younger guys will move past him?  

There is a place on this team with a lot of snaps for Romeo Doubs. Having said that, it feels like Wicks and Reed have sort of already passed him. That is one heck of a #4 WR though. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

Doubs role has already been greatly reduced.  When GB actually has a healthy WR room, Watson and Reed are the clear top guys, while Doubs/Wicks share the WR3 snaps.  If GB does look to grab another WR on day 2 (I don't think they will) Doubs could be pushed to WR5 sooner rather than later.

Agree, Doubs is at best #4 in terms of pass-receiving and targets.  Between everybody being injured, hard to guess whether his relative snaps might supercede his relative targets by a fair bit, for blocking-role purposes?  But yeah, whether a draftee, Heath, or Melton, Doubs getting pushed to WR5 or even less is possible.  

2 minutes ago, craig said:

Agree, Doubs is at best #4 in terms of pass-receiving and targets.  Between everybody being injured, hard to guess whether his relative snaps might supercede his relative targets by a fair bit, for blocking-role purposes?  But yeah, whether a draftee, Heath, or Melton, Doubs getting pushed to WR5 or even less is possible.  

Yah man that's crazy.  Who would have thought after last year.  Thought he'd be #2.  Reed is such a stud.  Wicks and Doubs can share #3.  Melton has earned a spot on the roster.  Like I said in the draft section we do not need anymore WR's. Watson, Reed, Wicks, Doubs, Heath and Melton.  Still have Dubose lurking on the PS.  Toure will need to get stronger in the offseason.  Expect he'll be put on the PS this week with Melton being elevated to the 53.  

Melton sure did a nice job filing in for Wicks.  Dude saved our season.  

• Like 1