Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He got paid, then took less. He didn’t win his next Super Bowl until 2015. Kirk got paid, now he should take less. 
And it doesn’t matter whether anyone has done it before.

You believe he should take less, because I'm sure you would. 

At least with my career, I've been able to work for 25 years in the same field...I have had the time to maximize my income.  The average NFL career is 3 years...and Kirk one of the longer ones and still has spent less than half of the time I've been able to...and last I checked, the only thing I potentially could have lingering effects in old age from is sitting all day...not getting drove into the hard ground hundreds of times over a lifetime.  Without a true healthcare system for retired players, he'll be paying for that rehab/physical therapy the entire rest of his life on his own.

Yes, he made that choice to go into the field and take the risk...but, then he should also be allowed to maximize his income while he's there and not be criticized for it. His income, based on the rest of the people performing the position, is right in line. Only one starting QB can win a title in any given year. 

I suppose Matthew Stafford should have took paycuts over the years, because somehow that would have magically made the Lions better. Outside of that one year in his 12th year, he's never won a playoff game and is still the 2nd highest earning QB in NFL history.    

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, swede700 said:

You believe he should take less, because I'm sure you would. 

At least with my career, I've been able to work for 25 years in the same field...I have had the time to maximize my income.  The average NFL career is 3 years...and Kirk one of the longer ones and still has spent less than half of the time I've been able to...and last I checked, the only thing I potentially could have lingering effects in old age from is sitting all day...not getting drove into the hard ground hundreds of times over a lifetime.  Without a true healthcare system for retired players, he'll be paying for that rehab/physical therapy the entire rest of his life on his own.

Yes, he made that choice to go into the field and take the risk...but, then he should also be allowed to maximize his income while he's there and not be criticized for it. His income, based on the rest of the people performing the position, is right in line. Only one starting QB can win a title in any given year. 

I suppose Matthew Stafford should have took paycuts over the years, because somehow that would have magically made the Lions better. Outside of that one year in his 12th year, he's never won a playoff game and is still the 2nd highest earning QB in NFL history.    

He should take less if he wants to win a Super Bowl. That really shouldn't be a controversial opinion.  It's straight forward. He can do what he wants though.

21 minutes ago, vike daddy said:

why?

what does he owe the Vikings so to be beholden to give them a discount on his own salary?

I didn't say he should take less to play for the Vikings. I said he should take less if he wants to win a Super Bowl.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

He should take less if he wants to win a Super Bowl. That really shouldn't be a controversial opinion.  It's straight forward. He can do what he wants though.

Stafford didn't take less and still won.  

Edited by swede700
  • Like 3

2 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

He got paid, then took less. He didn’t win his next Super Bowl until 2015. Kirk got paid, now he should take less. 
And it doesn’t matter whether anyone has done it before.

How ridiculous. 

Who eslse doe this apply to? Dak? Tua? Josh Allen? Burrow? Rodgers? In what other lines of work should a guy take less than he can get because he's already made too much money? 

• Like 2

12 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

How about you take less to help your company do better? No? Then whey the hell do you expect a professional athlete with a limited window to make generational money, and who regularly gets flattened by 300 pound tanks, to do so? Because you think fans are entitled to their labor at reduced rates? Nah. 

….

In all seriousness:

Most of your post reeks of cluelessness and it seems that you hardly read anything I wrote.

Me taking less from the company I’m employed with isn’t the same as being a professional football player. Clearly, you’re aware that your statement here is to get a reaction. One of the most purposely disingenuous statements I’ve ever seen in this forum, and even from you. Which is saying a lot. 

Cousins was getting paid “generational” money seven years ago. 

He isn’t doing what we do. He doesn’t work as a Finance Manager or as a store clerk at a 7-Eleven. To pretend it’s even remotely the same thing is one of the most clownish things I’ve read here, ever. And all just to stick up for a guy that was never worth what he was getting paid to begin with.

He isn’t, nor has he ever, had to struggle to survive. He’s playing a children’s sport and being paid a fortune every season. A “reduced rate” here with the Minnesota Vikings is still $50-$70 million dollars. 

You’ve said nothing to refute what I said. This team overpaid him and then built so much around him in order for him to be successful, and they constantly catered to him. They attempted year after year to cover for his shortcomings and mask the things that he doesn’t do well. They sacrificed being able to improve in other areas so they could pay him for the time that they did. None of that mattered to him in the end. 

Again, if he cared about winning a championship, he wouldn’t have a better destination than Minnesota to do it in. He never cared about any of that. 

I also never once said the fans here were entitled to anything. You’re responding to what you want respond to, crusader. 

I said his team and the coaches who helped him be as good as he’s ever been — to fool another team into paying him that much — should be considered. Personally, I don’t care where he goes. I was relieved when he finally left. Which I also stated and you ignored so you could just say whatever you want to say in defense of him. 

You’ve offered nothing here.

So what is your point, other than to mis-contextualize every single point I made, and then accuse me and fans of a similar stance of being entitled? Again, completely mischaracterizing what I said.

You’re one of the only users, on any forum that I visit, football or any other medium, that has some of the silliest and unnecessarily aggressive posting styles that I’ve ever seen. You hardly actually make a point and only seem to respond when you feel emotional about the subject at hand. It’s also one of the reasons I’m rarely active on this Viking forum. 

Not reading and then responding out of emotion is one of my internet peeves, and you do it a lot. 

17 hours ago, wcblack34 said:

How ridiculous. 

Who eslse doe this apply to? Dak? Tua? Josh Allen? Burrow? Rodgers? In what other lines of work should a guy take less than he can get because he's already made too much money? 

Lines of work with a salary cap. I'm not sure what else would be comparable to professional sports, where the athletes can be set for life, while still  competing against each for a championship. 

And it ultimately applies to all of your examples to varying degrees. Definitely Rodgers, although the others are all still fairly early in their careers.

Edited by Worm Guts

11 hours ago, Morlee said:

….

In all seriousness:

Most of your post reeks of cluelessness and it seems that you hardly read anything I wrote.

Me taking less from the company I’m employed with isn’t the same as being a professional football player. Clearly, you’re aware that your statement here is to get a reaction. One of the most purposely disingenuous statements I’ve ever seen in this forum, and even from you. Which is saying a lot. 

Cousins was getting paid “generational” money seven years ago. 

He isn’t doing what we do. He doesn’t work as a Finance Manager or as a store clerk at a 7-Eleven. To pretend it’s even remotely the same thing is one of the most clownish things I’ve read here, ever. And all just to stick up for a guy that was never worth what he was getting paid to begin with.

He isn’t, nor has he ever, had to struggle to survive. He’s playing a children’s sport and being paid a fortune every season. A “reduced rate” here with the Minnesota Vikings is still $50-$70 million dollars. 

You’ve said nothing to refute what I said. This team overpaid him and then built so much around him in order for him to be successful, and they constantly catered to him. They attempted year after year to cover for his shortcomings and mask the things that he doesn’t do well. They sacrificed being able to improve in other areas so they could pay him for the time that they did. None of that mattered to him in the end. 

Again, if he cared about winning a championship, he wouldn’t have a better destination than Minnesota to do it in. He never cared about any of that. 

I also never once said the fans here were entitled to anything. You’re responding to what you want respond to, crusader. 

I said his team and the coaches who helped him be as good as he’s ever been — to fool another team into paying him that much — should be considered. Personally, I don’t care where he goes. I was relieved when he finally left. Which I also stated and you ignored so you could just say whatever you want to say in defense of him. 

You’ve offered nothing here.

So what is your point, other than to mis-contextualize every single point I made, and then accuse me and fans of a similar stance of being entitled? Again, completely mischaracterizing what I said.

You’re one of the only users, on any forum that I visit, football or any other medium, that has some of the silliest and unnecessarily aggressive posting styles that I’ve ever seen. You hardly actually make a point and only seem to respond when you feel emotional about the subject at hand. It’s also one of the reasons I’m rarely active on this Viking forum. 

Not reading and then responding out of emotion is one of my internet peeves, and you do it a lot. 

Why don't you give me the tl;dr version?

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Captain Relax said:

I've got an idea!  Let's argue about players actually on the roster or potential future Vikings!!!!  What do you say???

This is the Cousins thread lol, no need to talk about the Vikings roster/potential future Vikings here.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, VikeManDan said:

This is the Cousins thread lol, no need to talk about the Vikings roster/potential future Vikings here.

Why is this thread still so popular?  I  know that Cousins was a lightning rod to members of this forum as long as he was a Viking.  But, he now plays for Atlanta. Why is he still a cause of friction on the forum?

2 minutes ago, Captain Relax said:

Why is this thread still so popular?  I  know that Cousins was a lightning rod to members of this forum as long as he was a Viking.  But, he now plays for Atlanta. Why is he still a cause of friction on the forum?

people will always have differing opinions, Cousins is just an arena it plays out in. human nature.