Kirk Cousins ends run with Vikings, signs with ATL (p.36)

vike daddy

2 hours ago, Morlee said:

Label me salty. You’re probably correct.  I can fault him and I do. 

He never cared about winning. All he ever cared about was getting paid more than he’s worth, and knowing that there are desperate teams out there willing to do it, he took advantage. 

If he cared about the organizations, fans, and the team that they built around him since he can’t and never has carried a team on his own, he would have taken a little less to stay here and pursue a championship. Only reason you wouldn’t stay here is because you don’t care about championships and only care at the payday.

I’m happy the guy is gone. I wanted him out years ago knowing we weren’t going to win anything with him. Why does he just get respect?  Because he’s paid too much to play a children’s sport?  No. 

How about you take less to help your company do better? No? Then whey the hell do you expect a professional athlete with a limited window to make generational money, and who regularly gets flattened by 300 pound tanks, to do so? Because you think fans are entitled to their labor at reduced rates? Nah. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

How about you take less to help your company do better? No? Then whey the hell do you expect a professional athlete with a limited window to make generational money, and who regularly gets flattened by 300 pound tanks, to do so? Because you think fans are entitled to their labor at reduced rates? Nah. 

It's not really the same thing in other professions. As an athlete, especially a QB, winning a championship is part of your personal legacy.  Not to mention the guy had already made over 100 million dollars in his career.  He can do what he wants, but taking less whether it was here or someplace else would have helped him contend for a championship.

Just now, Worm Guts said:

It's not really the same thing in other professions. As an athlete, especially a QB, winning a championship is part of your personal legacy.  Not to mention the guy had already made over 100 million dollars in his career.  He can do what he wants, but taking less whether it was here or someplace else would have helped him contend for a championship.

And taking less at your job would help your company make more profit. Might even allow it to expand and gain a bigger market share. Could help it become the next Apple or Amazon. It is the same thing. They have a skill. It is in demand. They maximize the return. Just like everyone else does. The difference is that their industry is entertainment and people don’t think it should be valued as highly as it is. Yet they tune in and buy tickets. Not every QB wins a Super Bowl. Who here thinks the Steelers are going to win because they’re paying Russ less than $2MM? There are no guarantees. So make your money and let the team figure out how to win with you. That’s their responsibility. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

And taking less at your job would help your company make more profit. Might even allow it to expand and gain a bigger market share. Could help it become the next Apple or Amazon. It is the same thing. They have a skill. It is in demand. They maximize the return. Just like everyone else does. The difference is that their industry is entertainment and people don’t think it should be valued as highly as it is. Yet they tune in and buy tickets. Not every QB wins a Super Bowl. Who here thinks the Steelers are going to win because they’re paying Russ less than $2MM? There are no guarantees. So make your money and let the team figure out how to win with you. That’s their responsibility. 

Helping my company become the next Amazon or Apple isn't comparable to winning a Super Bowl, there's no personal glory in for me, it doesn't help me achieve any of my personal goals. The issue in football is that there is a salary cap. It has nothing to do with me thinking Kirk doesn't deserve the money he earns.  It's the obvious fact that the less money he takes, the more that can be spent on a supporting cast.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Helping my company become the next Amazon or Apple isn't comparable to winning a Super Bowl, there's no personal glory in for me, it doesn't help me achieve any of my personal goals. The issue in football is that there is a salary cap. It has nothing to do with me thinking Kirk doesn't deserve the money he earns.  It's the obvious fact that the less money he takes, the more that can be spent on a supporting cast.

Again, the salary cap isn’t Kirk’s responsibility. It’s the teams. Every team is under the same restraints. If they can’t pay a player and build a complete roster, that’s the team’s failure. Not the player’s. And personal glory? Should the kicker take less to win a Super Bowl? The long snapper? Why just the QB? After all, the QB is far more instrumental in a team’s success. Ask everyone else to play for glory. 

• Like 1

Just now, wcblack34 said:

Again, the salary cap isn’t Kirk’s responsibility. It’s the teams. Every team is under the same restraints. If they can’t pay a player and build a complete roster, that’s the team’s failure. Not the player’s. And personal glory? Should the kicker take less to win a Super Bowl? The long snapper? Why just the QB? After all, the QB is far more instrumental in a team’s success. Ask everyone else to play for glory. 

The QB gets more money and get more credit if the team wins the Super Bowl. The guy making 45 million a year can obviously do more to benefit the team by taking a pay cut than the guy making 3 million. This is pretty straight forward stuff.

And I'll never criticize a guy for getting his first big paycheck, but Kirk is past that point. He has more money than he'll ever need. And even still, it's his choice.  If he wants to choose money over competing for a potential championship, it's up to him, but don't kid yourself into thinking that's not what he's doing.

• Like 1

The funniest thing about the whole argument is that people still think it was a money issue. It wasn’t. It was a commitment issue.

Cousins didn’t leave because the Vikings wouldn’t pay him a market value contract. In fact, there have been multiple reports, both locally and nationally, that the Vikings were offering similar overall terms as Atlanta. He left because the Vikings wouldn’t guarantee more than one year. Cousins didn’t want to be on a year to year deal. He didn’t want to do this again next year. 

Ultimately, Kirk Cousins didn’t break up with the Minnesota Vikings. The Minnesota Vikings broke up with him. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

The QB gets more money and get more credit if the team wins the Super Bowl. The guy making 45 million a year can obviously do more to benefit the team by taking a pay cut than the guy making 3 million. This is pretty straight forward stuff.

And I'll never criticize a guy for getting his first big paycheck, but Kirk is past that point. He has more money than he'll ever need. And even still, it's his choice.  If he wants to choose money over competing for a potential championship, it's up to him, but don't kid yourself into thinking that's not what he's doing.

I’m not kidding myself about anything. He’s doing what’s best for him and it makes fans big mad. But those same fans would absolutely act the exact same way. And who are we to decide how much money is more than he’ll ever need? Do we get mad because Dwayne Johnson makes $30MM for a movie when he could have taken less? He certainly isn’t going to need a hip replacement or get CTE from making a movie. No, it’s just athletes because fans are emotionally invested in the teams. 

And if the QB gets more credit and glory, why shouldn’t he get more money? 

If I've learned anything from my worklife over the last 35 years, it's that it's difficult to have loyalty to an employer when that loyalty only goes one way. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 4

7 minutes ago, wcblack34 said:

I’m not kidding myself about anything. He’s doing what’s best for him and it makes fans big mad. But those same fans would absolutely act the exact same way. And who are we to decide how much money is more than he’ll ever need? Do we get mad because Dwayne Johnson makes $30MM for a movie when he could have taken less? He certainly isn’t going to need a hip replacement or get CTE from making a movie. No, it’s just athletes because fans are emotionally invested in the teams. 

And if the QB gets more credit and glory, why shouldn’t he get more money? 

It's not about what he deserves. It's about what he wants to prioritize.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, swede700 said:

If I've learned anything from my worklife over the last 35 years, it's that it's difficult to have loyalty to an employer when that loyalty only goes one way. 

I'm not suggesting taking a discount out of loyalty.

7 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not suggesting taking a discount out of loyalty.

Why else would you take a discount?  If you're talking about prioritization, the Falcons win that argument too, because they're closer to competing for a title than the Vikings are right now.  They're in a more winnable division, have similar offensive weapons and a more talented defense. 

Edited by swede700
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Why else would you take a discount?  If you're talking about prioritization, the Falcons win that argument too, because they're closer to competing for a title than the Vikings are right now.  They're in a more winnable division, have similar offensive weapons and a more talented defense. 

I'm not saying he should have taken discount to stay with Vikings.  I am saying he should have taken a discount if he wants to win a Super Bowl, whether that's with the Vikings or the Falcons or somebody else.

4 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not saying he should have taken discount to stay with Vikings.  I am saying he should have taken a discount if he wants to win a Super Bowl, whether that's with the Vikings or the Falcons or somebody else.

Only Mahomes took less practical guaranteed money as a percentage of the whole contract amongst the top 10-15 QB contracts.  I'd say that could be considered a discount based on his past history. 

51 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Always be looking out for number one (yourself).

• Like 2