2024 Free Agency

Humble_Beast

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

I was gonna ask if we’d get comp picks for our departed free agents

Depends on how many we bring in as well. We tend to never really get comps because we are more active in signing FAs from other teams than other teams are in signing our guys.

It’s a complicated formula, but until we start developing our own players via the draft and being unable to retain them for cap reasons, we’re not going to get many comp picks.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NickButera said:

I truly thought we'd be more active in free agency at this point. Especially with Telesco publicly stating he'd need to lean on free agency a bit more in year 1.

But, an elite DT, a backup QB and a backup TE is all we have to show this far? We've lost 6 players to free agency, all of them being players who players considerable snaps if not starters. Then we've released another 5 players, other than Hoyer and Jimmy, Tillery Renfrow and Hooper all were contributors. 

We've lost a lot of snaps and are relegated to replacing them with rookies or after thought free agents. Would have liked to see us sign one or two decent talents the last few days to make me feel more comfortable 

I'm a bit lost also. We come out firing with Wilkins and that's a huge deal, get Minshew at a low-starter price, and then radio silence. We got better at those 2 positions, but got a lot of cap space to go. 

I guess the flexibility is nice since we can roll over what we don't use and we can secure guys like Koonce, Jones, Moehrig, Spillane, etc.

I think Hondo talking big had some of us hoping for another splash but this may be it for impactful, big moves. Often times, that's okay. 

6 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Telesco signed one starter and two backups and said we gucci

I think the roster is at 61 players. It’s safe to say that they can field a team. They can certainly upgrade spots but there’s no need to just sign guys. They can wait for vet FAs to settle and take the best ones. 

I'm not too concern about our lack of activity. We got the "big fish" in Wilkins so I'm content. Would like to see us extend some of our upcoming players specifically Koonce and Hobbs. Waiting it out will should also get us bargain deals.

16 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I think the roster is at 61 players. It’s safe to say that they can field a team. They can certainly upgrade spots but there’s no need to just sign guys. They can wait for vet FAs to settle and take the best ones. 

We have to add 29 more players before the end of the off-season. We've lost more starters then we've added. I get having a disciplined approach to free agency but we still have a ton of holes to fill.

Just now, OldManWillis said:

I'm not too concern about our lack of activity. We got the "big fish" in Wilkins so I'm content. Would like to see us extend some of our upcoming players specifically Koonce and Hobbs. Waiting it out will should also get us bargain deals.

Going into the draft with 5 picks in the top 200 needing 5-6 starters isn't exactly a recipe for success.

Just now, NYRaider said:

Going into the draft with 5 picks in the top 200 needing 5-6 starters isn't exactly a recipe for success.

Neither is overpaying in free agency. We all would have crucified Telesco if he overpaid for some of these FAs.

Just now, OldManWillis said:

Neither is overpaying in free agency. We all would have crucified Telesco if he overpaid for some of these FAs.

There was no point in keeping the current core together with AP unless they were going to push to be good next year.

44 minutes ago, OldManWillis said:

Tbf, he really only has any goodwill because of landing Wilkins. 

Otherwise, he blinked and overpaid for Minshew, imo, 

Yet again, we create all this cap space and can't really get anything done with it. A lot of FAs didn't sign particularly egregious deals. 

But we're talking about a GM that knowingly went into a season with Easton Stick as a primary backup QB for multiple seasons and got run out of a chronically underachieving roster situation. Dude has cold feet after the JC Jackson debacle. This was why some were skeptics about Telesco, and he's not doing much to endear himself so far. 

28 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

Tbf, he really only has any goodwill because of landing Wilkins. 

Otherwise, he blinked and overpaid for Minshew, imo, 

Yet again, we create all this cap space and can't really get anything done with it. A lot of FAs didn't sign particularly egregious deals. 

But we're talking about a GM that knowingly went into a season with Easton Stick as a primary backup QB for multiple seasons and got run out of a chronically underachieving roster situation. Dude has cold feet after the JC Jackson debacle. This was why some were skeptics about Telesco, and he's not doing much to endear himself so far. 

The approach he’s taking limits what we can potentially do in the draft as well. If we need to add 3-5 starters it’s not really feasible to trade up.