Biggest Steal & Disappoinment of 2023 Draft so far

Football_Bachelor08

I thought Jack Campbell was kind of disappointing. I figured he'd be a lock for DPOY, given he was super safe as a prospect and was a tackling machine. Playing on a "meh" defense led me to believe he'd rack up an absurd amount of tackles.

I didn't love him as a prospect at all and thought he was actually a bit of a slow processor, but he seemed destined for a big year, at least statistically. Detroit fans, care to shed some light on him? @Louis Friend @detfan782004 @Sllim Pickens @General Tso

4 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I thought Jack Campbell was kind of disappointing. I figured he'd be a lock for DPOY, given he was super safe as a prospect and was a tackling machine. Playing on a "meh" defense led me to believe he'd rack up an absurd amount of tackles.

I didn't love him as a prospect at all and thought he was actually a bit of a slow processor, but he seemed destined for a big year, at least statistically. Detroit fans, care to shed some light on him? @Louis Friend @detfan782004 @Sllim Pickens @General Tso

Well at the start of the year he was in a rotation at ILB. Then when we found out our edge rushers were mid, we started putting him at SAM which was completely out of position, just to "put the best guys on the field." Eventually we wised up and had him at MIKE again.

I think he ended up with a positive run grade finishing out the season. We still kind of hide him in pass coverage. It's just a combo of rotations and acclimating to NFL speed, but I think he'll be a good one in future years.

• Like 1

Don’t see how Mazi “maxi pad” Smith doesn’t make a list of greatest disappointments thus far.  Comes on to a team with an elite defense, 2 world class DE’s and his job is to clog running lanes and keep our LBers clean and barely gets playing time as a first round pick.  Dude has been absolutely terrible in all facets 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MaddHatter said:

Don’t see how Mazi “maxi pad” Smith doesn’t make a list of greatest disappointments thus far.  Comes on to a team with an elite defense, 2 world class DE’s and his job is to clog running lanes and keep our LBers clean and barely gets playing time as a first round pick.  Dude has been absolutely terrible in all facets 

I assume he's not listed for a few reasons:

1. He's an interior DL. Nobody knows if DT's are good or bad unless they're Aaron Donald or play on your team.

2. A lot of people thought he was a boom-or-bust player. His technique was straight up bad and his effort waned wildly. I thought he'd be not atrocious, but fully acknolwledged that this could blow up. I had a 3rd round grade on him, but was still excited at his toolbox of traits.  I don't know if he's a disappointment for me, mainly because my expectations weren't that high.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I think if Det didn't have some decent players he would rack up more.

If this was previous Detroit you would see him do more.

Think he was hindered in production because they have a better roster .

• Like 1

Yeah, I don’t think Jack Campbell disappointed as much as our coaching staff kept moving him around because our DL was so horrible and they have a hard-on for Anzalone. He played 59% of snaps and had 95 tkls (second on the team), 2 sacks, 5 TFL, 1 PD, and took over the green dot for a few games. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He is disappointing in the fact that he had high expectations, similar to Devin Lloyd the year prior but he improved throughout the year.  He missed a couple tackles in the last game but he still has been making more plays the last 5 or so games.  He did finish the year with 95 tackles and 2 sacks which is disappointing but not in the Tyree Wilson, Mazi Smith, Myles Murphy, Nolan Smith, Anudike-Ozomha type disappointment.  I also think that having Gibbs, Laporta, and Branch all pan out, it helped reduce some of the attention Lions fans had on Campbell.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Texansfan713 said:

Tank Dell was on pace for over 1000 receiving yards and double digit touchdowns as the the 69th pick.  He is one of the biggest steals of the draft.  

I was on that train, all the guy did was run good routes and produce

For the Packers, they got absolute steals with Dontayvion Wicks (WR) in the 5'th and Karl Brooks (DL) in the 6th.  Brooks has been oh so solid and flashes some amazing rush ability. 4 sacks, 6 TFL, 5 QB hits, 1 forced fumble.  All in a rotation with 4 other guys on the DL.  378 snaps.

Throw in a Carrington Valentine in the 7'th and the Packers nailed the end of the draft.  Actually....most of that draft class is looking really good.

On 1/11/2024 at 12:29 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

https://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/three_lions_selected_to_pffs_all_rookie_team/s1_13132_39800350

Campbell did make PFF's All Rookie team given he was one of the best run defenders and helped cut 35 yards off of our rush yards per game allowed.  

21 hours ago, vegas492 said:

For the Packers, they got absolute steals with Dontayvion Wicks (WR) in the 5'th and Karl Brooks (DL) in the 6th.  Brooks has been oh so solid and flashes some amazing rush ability. 4 sacks, 6 TFL, 5 QB hits, 1 forced fumble.  All in a rotation with 4 other guys on the DL.  378 snaps.

Throw in a Carrington Valentine in the 7'th and the Packers nailed the end of the draft.  Actually....most of that draft class is looking really good.

I really wanted the Lions to draft Karl Brooks.  He is from my hometown and was one of the highest graded DT's per PFF in college so I was shocked he dropped so far.  Definitely a great pick.  

• Like 1

Biggest Steals:

Puka Nacua - Easy answer here for the biggest steal

Devon Achane - If he didnt get hurt he would have had some insane numbers.  Definitely flashing the talent and in a system he will excel in. 

Siddy Sow - The Pats got a very solid RG in the 4th and should be a staple on their line for a while.  He ranked third of all guards in the league in run blocking. 

Kobie Turner - A 3rd Round DT having the impact he had is insane.  Likely in the top 3 for defensive rookie of the year. 

Tuli Tupilotu - 4th highest graded edge defender against the run and solid pass rush numbers.  Not bad for a late 2nd round pick. 

Ronnie Hickman - Undrafted S that finishes the season allowing 4 catches for 6 yards in 221 coverage snaps.  He was limited but his coverage skills are legit and amazing to find in UDFA.  

Mekhi Blackmon - I really wanted him in the draft but he did go a little higher than I projected in the late 3rd.  Been one of the best rookie CBs and was the 15th CB taken.  

Jordan Battle - Top 10 rated S in the league as a rookie and drafted in the late 3rd.  

Byron Young - Mid 3rd round LB that ended with 8 sacks is pretty impressive.  The Rams scouting always doing good work and finding the mid round picks that are productive. 

Demario Douglas - Late 6th round pick that missed a few games and took a couple more to get going but was still solid for a later pick even with trash at QB.  

Rashee Rice - I loved him as a prospect and although he had a slow start, he really turned it on late and looks to be Mahomes favorite WR target.  Definitely a solid get given the other WRs that went ahead of him. 

Tyjae Spears - Had some other backs go before him that didn't look as good as he did.  Henry had the bulk of the carries but he made his presence felt and likely will take over for Henry next year. 

Karl Brooks - Solid pass rush production from a late round pick.  Another guy I wish the Lions had targeted. 

Biggest Busts:

Bryce Young - Still could turn it around but didn't give me a lot of hope he will. 

Tyree Wilson - Was rae coming out and it showed.  He could still develop but for year one he was a disappointment for sure. 

Mazi Smith - Another raw prospect with athletic ability but doesn't have the motor to win in the NFL and likely will be out of the league by year 4. 

Jonathan Mingo - I had him projected to be one of the better WRs this year and he never got situated.  I get Bryce Young was bad but Theilin was still productive and Mingo just couldn't get right. 

Quentin Johnston - I hated him as a prospect because all he could do is run straight and catch deep balls.  Thats harder to do in the NFL. Had early injuries on the team that gave him a great chance to step up and just sat in the shadows allowing Palmer to nearly match his production. 

Nolan Smith - Was supposed to be a super star edge/LB and had very little playing time as a 1st round pick.  1 sack and 10 tackles show his size will be an issue in the NFL.  He and the other Georgia defenders that went later last year are all disappointing for Philly. 

Myles Murphy - I expected more out of him.  I thought he should have gone ahead of Wilson but he dropped and it seems most were right on him.  Might be solid but won't live up to 1st round status IMO. 

Zach Charbonnet - Being a second round pick he should have had more production.  I get Walker was ahead of him and played well but when Walker got hurt, Charb did not take advantage of the opportunity.  

Brodric Martin - He was considered a reach but the Lions gave up a bunch to move up and get him.  He couldn't even dress most of the season and when he did, he was bad.  I knew he was a project, but when you give up 3 picks to go get a guy in the third, you have to expect a little better than 2 tackles on the year. 

Trenton Simpson - This one was a little expected but for a guy who had top 10 projection as late as February last year, falling to the third and then not proving the doubters wrong was disappointing.  

Israel Abanikanda - Its hard to call a 5th round pick a bust but I had him ahead of a quite a few others on my draft list so he is a bust to me.  Given Hall was injured and he should have had more reps in the offseason, you would think he could have helped the Jets avoid signing Cook in the first place but he was bad and when he got a shot late, he showed he is still bad. 

• Like 4