Biggest Steal & Disappoinment of 2023 Draft so far

Football_Bachelor08

No mention so far of Tucker Kraft?  How in the world the Dallas Cowboys did not take him and took freaking Luke Schoonmaker I have no idea.  Once Musgrave got hurt and Kraft got the ball dude is legit and great after the catch, big time player and should be the starting TE next year over Musgrave, and he can block way better than Musgrave as well.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, TVScout said:

nfl.com scouting reports have been getting worse and worse every year.

Counterpoint: The Rams drafted him with Pick #42 in the 5th round. Odds are that plenty of NFL teams had a similar opinion.

• Like 2

On 1/12/2024 at 2:00 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

I really wanted the Lions to draft Karl Brooks.  He is from my hometown and was one of the highest graded DT's per PFF in college so I was shocked he dropped so far.  Definitely a great pick.  

Maybe he was a "tweener".  I think he played EDGE more in college, but at 300 pounds, it was tough to see if he could play DL.  And on the EDGE, he just wouldn't be fast enough.  Karl Brooks, that is, but you knew that.

Obviously he has more than enough mass and power to play on the DL.

He made a great play yesterday, sniffing out a screen.  Had it been complete, it was a very long gainer.  Brooks was blocked well and still managed a shoestring tackle.

When asked about how he plays, I'll always say....old man strength, young man's legs.

Get a sign up in your hometown for him!  :)

Steal Antonio Johnson.  Started off with a hamstring injury but really took when our Nickel Herndon got hurt so much so that when Herndon came back he was still getting a good number of reps. 

I feel like for the Jags u can go have TE Strange and Bigsby for busts.  For 2nd and 3rd round picks that really didn't have much of an impact.   Strange I think was drafted more of an insurance pick if we couldn't resign engram long term.  Bigsby was supposed to be our Backup/short yardage guy and he lost that role early in the season. 

Edited by LinderFournette

On 1/12/2024 at 3:31 PM, Sllim Pickens said:

Biggest Steals:

Puka Nacua - Easy answer here for the biggest steal

Devon Achane - If he didnt get hurt he would have had some insane numbers.  Definitely flashing the talent and in a system he will excel in. 

Siddy Sow - The Pats got a very solid RG in the 4th and should be a staple on their line for a while.  He ranked third of all guards in the league in run blocking. 

Kobie Turner - A 3rd Round DT having the impact he had is insane.  Likely in the top 3 for defensive rookie of the year. 

Tuli Tupilotu - 4th highest graded edge defender against the run and solid pass rush numbers.  Not bad for a late 2nd round pick. 

Ronnie Hickman - Undrafted S that finishes the season allowing 4 catches for 6 yards in 221 coverage snaps.  He was limited but his coverage skills are legit and amazing to find in UDFA.  

Mekhi Blackmon - I really wanted him in the draft but he did go a little higher than I projected in the late 3rd.  Been one of the best rookie CBs and was the 15th CB taken.  

Jordan Battle - Top 10 rated S in the league as a rookie and drafted in the late 3rd.  

Byron Young - Mid 3rd round LB that ended with 8 sacks is pretty impressive.  The Rams scouting always doing good work and finding the mid round picks that are productive. 

Demario Douglas - Late 6th round pick that missed a few games and took a couple more to get going but was still solid for a later pick even with trash at QB.  

Rashee Rice - I loved him as a prospect and although he had a slow start, he really turned it on late and looks to be Mahomes favorite WR target.  Definitely a solid get given the other WRs that went ahead of him. 

Tyjae Spears - Had some other backs go before him that didn't look as good as he did.  Henry had the bulk of the carries but he made his presence felt and likely will take over for Henry next year. 

Karl Brooks - Solid pass rush production from a late round pick.  Another guy I wish the Lions had targeted. 

Biggest Busts:

Bryce Young - Still could turn it around but didn't give me a lot of hope he will. 

Tyree Wilson - Was rae coming out and it showed.  He could still develop but for year one he was a disappointment for sure. 

Mazi Smith - Another raw prospect with athletic ability but doesn't have the motor to win in the NFL and likely will be out of the league by year 4. 

Jonathan Mingo - I had him projected to be one of the better WRs this year and he never got situated.  I get Bryce Young was bad but Theilin was still productive and Mingo just couldn't get right. 

Quentin Johnston - I hated him as a prospect because all he could do is run straight and catch deep balls.  Thats harder to do in the NFL. Had early injuries on the team that gave him a great chance to step up and just sat in the shadows allowing Palmer to nearly match his production. 

Nolan Smith - Was supposed to be a super star edge/LB and had very little playing time as a 1st round pick.  1 sack and 10 tackles show his size will be an issue in the NFL.  He and the other Georgia defenders that went later last year are all disappointing for Philly. 

Myles Murphy - I expected more out of him.  I thought he should have gone ahead of Wilson but he dropped and it seems most were right on him.  Might be solid but won't live up to 1st round status IMO. 

Zach Charbonnet - Being a second round pick he should have had more production.  I get Walker was ahead of him and played well but when Walker got hurt, Charb did not take advantage of the opportunity.  

Brodric Martin - He was considered a reach but the Lions gave up a bunch to move up and get him.  He couldn't even dress most of the season and when he did, he was bad.  I knew he was a project, but when you give up 3 picks to go get a guy in the third, you have to expect a little better than 2 tackles on the year. 

Trenton Simpson - This one was a little expected but for a guy who had top 10 projection as late as February last year, falling to the third and then not proving the doubters wrong was disappointing.  

Israel Abanikanda - Its hard to call a 5th round pick a bust but I had him ahead of a quite a few others on my draft list so he is a bust to me.  Given Hall was injured and he should have had more reps in the offseason, you would think he could have helped the Jets avoid signing Cook in the first place but he was bad and when he got a shot late, he showed he is still bad. 

Nolan Smith was always going to be at best the 3rd guy in a 4 man rotation at EDGE/DE for the Eagles. So he was stuck behind Reddick, Sweat and as it turned out, Graham too. Never expected big numbers for him. He actually flashed some nice run defense and the occasional nice pass rush. But overall a disappointing rookie year. Didn't help matters that we gave him too many snaps dropping into coverage, same with Reddick. Kinda felt like a guy who might take some time to pop and fill out a bit. Looking forward to seeing what he has in year 2. Nakobe Dean has been a massive disappointment. Jordan Davis has been solid. Better in his second year. But I'd rather have Kyle Hamilton who they could've had. Kelee Ringo really impressed when given playing time. Could see him pushing for a starting spot in 2024. Georgia guys have been better than not for us so far.

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Matt Laporte best pick 

worst 1st rounder who would trade any of the first round QBs for leshaun?

It’s Matt Leporto

and yeah, I think the worst 1st rounder is leshaun. Why due teams draft him in 1st round when they could trade for wr higgis?

Geniuses.