2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

Forge is a non-believer. Don't listen to the apostate. 

Lol non believer may be a little strong. He's been a top 3 qb for me the entire time and I've said before i could see them going top 3 in any order. 

14 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

In what context?

He's brash and blunt with his beliefs and comments, more recently the ones just made about being a student athlete the other week. Now while he does have a point I'm sure and there may very well be truth to it he's questioning the "system" so to speak and bringing attention to it. This will rub people in charge the wrong way as people in charge rarely like to be questioned or challenged. Personally I don't have a problem with it but some people might. He seems to be a well informed and intelligent individual so maybe he's got a point but some people don't like that.

6 minutes ago, Geek said:

Didn't manage to watch the game but love what I'm hearing. Rosen till I die.

Its a mixed bag on the field. Good and bad. The most impressive stuff is more or less the intangibles, as @Fureys49ers mentioned a couple times. That was truly pretty impressive. Love that he didn't melt. 

Just now, Fureys49ers said:

He's brash and blunt with his beliefs and comments, more recently the ones just made about being a student athlete the other week. Now while he does have a point I'm sure and there may very well be truth to it he's questioning the "system" so to speak and bringing attention to it. This will rub people in charge the wrong way as people in charge rarely like to be questioned or challenged. 

That's stupid. But you know what will sway people in charge? His ability to win games. If he's a good enough of a player, teams will learn to tolerate his attitude. As we've seen in the NFL. 

Just now, PapaShogun said:

That's stupid. But you know what will sway people in charge? His ability to win games. If he's a good enough of a player, teams will learn to tolerate his attitude. As we've seen in the NFL. 

I do not disagree. Winning football games and being a good football player mends many wounds and allows much oversight. Good or bad that's the way it is.

Just now, PapaShogun said:

Watching the highlights, that throw to Andrews for the touchdown was cool, but it should have been intercepted. 

He had another one off his back foot scrambling to the left I believe that was pretty underthrown, crazy part about that is had it not been underthrown I'm not sure it's a completion, more than likely a broken up pass or int. He made is fair share of mistakes. But this guy hadn't played a game in almost a year and was otherside of the pillow cool in a very stressful situation, during both halfs mind you. 

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I'm pretty sure he also made a comment at the end of that same discussion on being a student athlete taking a shot at Alabama. Asking what kind of team would Bama would have were the SAT scores raised for student athletes or something along those lines. Unnecessary if true? Sure and probably not needed. Were he to say something like that about the Seahawks if he were our QB? I'm buying two of his jerseys and making my dog wear one on Sundays. So it is what you want to make of it with Rosen and how personally how you feel on it. I'm with you though, seem like petty, little things in the grand scheme of things if he's winning football games.

Reminds me of the Jimmy Johnson about treating players differently. At least he doesn't beat around the bush, and is honest about not holding everyone to the same standard.

"I can't be writing what the rules are because my rules vary from player to player. It's like I told Lawrence: In Dallas we had a linebacker named John Roper who got cut for falling asleep in a meeting. If Troy Aikman fell asleep in a meeting, I'd go over and whisper, `Wake up, Troy.' "

10 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm pretty sure he also made a comment at the end of that same discussion on being a student athlete taking a shot at Alabama. Asking what kind of team would Bama would have were the SAT scores raised for student athletes or something along those lines. Unnecessary if true? Sure and probably not needed. Were he to say something like that about the Seahawks if he were our QB? I'm buying two of his jerseys and making my dog wear one on Sundays. So it is what you want to make of it with Rosen and how personally how you feel on it. I'm with you though, seem like petty, little things in the grand scheme of things if he's winning football games.

Yeah, there's kind of two parts to the Rosen concerns for some people - there's his personality. The outspoken nature of him, particularly regarding the "establishment"; regarding student athletics, the NCAA, etc. His political leanings (if you're a team like the Jets, who's owner is a US ambassador under Trump, do his political views and issues with trump take him off your board?). He's brash and some people don't do well with that. Some have claimed that he's not well liked by coaches, teammates, etc. 

There's also the immaturity factor. People are concerned about it, though the "supporting evidence" I find to be rather lame. He and some friends got drunk one night and re-arranged peoples lawn decorations in lewd positions and sexually aggressive positions. He moved an inflatable spa into his room or something like that (against rules) and photos of him in it with a girl got out and he had to apologize and all that stuff. It's really stupid the stuff that people get out of sorts about. I guess photos like that will forever be ruined because of Matt Leinart lol. I don't know. But some people fear that there is a Johnny Manziel, "rich, pretentious play boy" thing going on or something. He's viewed as being very immature, and there was a report earlier this year where a scout said he was, "a mess off the field". 

Some tidbits about Rosen that have been said,

"Rosen has a ton of ability but tons of issues, like dedication, to work through" said one AFC college scouting director.

Here’s a second executive, this from another AFC team, to break down quickly the holes in the résumés of Rosen, • Rosen: “He’s the one I know the best—he’s got size, athletic tools, velocity. He’s just a mess off the field and he’s coming off the injury. He needs to grow up, but the talent is off the charts.”

One scout says Rosen will eventually get "bored" with football, turn his sights to "changing the world" and be gone within four years.

One scout says Rosen doesn't have a love for the game—that he lacks a certain fire and passion

Scouts, coaches and teammates have also told me of his personality, which can come across as "uncoachable, smarter than all of us and a prick.".

One scout I spoke with said when he looks at Rosen, he sees another version of Colin Kaepernick.

Goodness gracious, quarterbacks can't just be people that are good at their craft. They have to be puppets on a string and be held to some ridiculous standard for ultimate judgment by the greater population. What's next? A dude shouldn't be a top draft choice because of the choices in his diet? 

Unfortunate. Players just got shut up, smile, and "do what masta say." Makes me wanna puke. 

The Colin K thing was already ridiculous. And that was before he took a knee? "Oh don't talk to the media? What's wrong with him? Oh he has tattoos, always his his headphones on, and wears his hat backwards. Obviously a thug. I don't want my QB acting like that."

Attitude or not, if this week is what we see of the QBs this season, Rosen is the unquestioned #1. He easily outperformed Darnold/Allen. Of course...it's a long season. Allen will obviously look better as the weeks go by. But I'm very disappointed with this game as it will end up as one of only a handful where he faces top schools. He really needs  to look good against Oregon in 2 weeks. After that, Colorado St. registers as the only other possible chance to look good against a worthwhile opponent. Maybe Boise St., but they weren't exactly a powerhouse against Troy this weekend. 

Obviously one week is a terrible way to judge, so my top 3 still go Darnold, Rosen, Allen. 

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Attitude or not, if this week is what we see of the QBs this season, Rosen is the unquestioned #1. He easily outperformed Darnold/Allen. Of course...it's a long season. Allen will obviously look better as the weeks go by. But I'm very disappointed with this game as it will end up as one of only a handful where he faces top schools. He really needs  to look good against Oregon in 2 weeks. After that, Colorado St. registers as the only other possible chance to look good against a worthwhile opponent. Maybe Boise St., but they weren't exactly a powerhouse against Troy this weekend. 

Obviously one week is a terrible way to judge, so my top 3 still go Darnold, Rosen, Allen. 

Darnold played fine but I didnt see the unquestioned #1 overall QB against Western Michigan. He still has a good amount to prove. Allen crapped the bed against one of his few challenges this season. But as a whole Iowa is on another level than Wyoming. I think we're going to see more than these 3 names in play for the first QB's selected with Luke Faulk, Mason Rudolph, and even some Baker Mayfield thrown in with Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. 

18 minutes ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Darnold played fine but I didnt see the unquestioned #1 overall QB against Western Michigan. He still has a good amount to prove. Allen crapped the bed against one of his few challenges this season. But as a whole Iowa is on another level than Wyoming. I think we're going to see more than these 3 names in play for the first QB's selected with Luke Faulk, Mason Rudolph, and even some Baker Mayfield thrown in with Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. 

Definitely a good year to need a QB. 

Archived