2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

There is still some time left, but Mayfield has the Sooners up 3 scores on the Buckeyes. It's going to be very interesting to see where he is drafted. He had his one little off-the-field issue and obviously his size isn't ideal, but he seems to have a knack for winning football games. 

27 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

There is still some time left, but Mayfield has the Sooners up 3 scores on the Buckeyes. It's going to be very interesting to see where he is drafted. He had his one little off-the-field issue and obviously his size isn't ideal, but he seems to have a knack for winning football games. 

He has been awefully impressive since he stepped foot on OKs field two years ago. 

He seems to love throwing to his FB Flowers too...Juice Check would approve.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

He has been awefully impressive since he stepped foot on OKs field two years ago. 

He seems to love throwing to his FB Flowers too...Juice Check would approve.

I really think he's the type of quarterback that Shanny would love...but I could wrong

22 minutes ago, Forge said:

I really think he's the type of quarterback that Shanny would love...but I could wrong

I agree, his athleticism would be a major plus but he seems completelty in command of that offense. Knows where to go and when to take his shots. Is very accurate and has plenty of life in his arm. Seems like he's got the make up above the shoulder pads as well to be successful in Shannys scheme. I liked his game a lot last year and was disappointed when he decided to return to school but now he's just reassuring me of what I thought of him last year. Plus you have to love the way he plays with an edge and a chip on his shoulder.

9 hours ago, Forge said:

It amazes me that somehow JT Barrett will be a 4 year starter at a program like OSU. He's just terrible

It's as if Urban doesn't want the job anymore haha.

A little early considering we haven't even seen Hyde take one regular season snap this year so we have no idea as to what his future holds but if he in fact does have another disappointing season and we let him go I'd love to add Rashaad Penny from SDSU in the middle rounds, if he stays there that is. Saw him a lot last year walking a lot of SDSU games while watching Pumphrey and he's the real deal, now that he has the backfield to himself he's showing up in a big way. If Hyde does in fact leave adding another young RB to compete with Williams and Breida in the mid rounds is an idea I would support strongly.

11 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Saw that play haha, I used to coach pop warner and still hadn't seen anything like that. 

I just wish that the third down play resulted in like a defensive holding penalty that would have given La Tech an automatic first down. That would have been the best. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I just wish that the third down play resulted in like a defensive holding penalty that would have given La Tech an automatic first down. That would have been the best. 

I'm pretty sure the coach relayed the information that his players were not to even breathe on the receivers in this situation. 

18 hours ago, Forge said:

He also still never looks at more than half the field. Really bugs me. He's also never under duress (that may be a competition thing)

Yeah.  Don't know if that's him, or their offense. Still really hard for me to judge those spread offense QBs.

16 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

That was one of the things that drew me to him over the offseason. I was looking at some bigger options, and I went back and watched highlights of his 2015 sophomore year - he was just really good. And he looks better through two games this year. That combination of size, knowing how to use it, and excellent hands has me worried. Those are the sort of things that cause a guy like him to rise quickly. But, if the football gods allowed it to happen, a top of the draft of Darnold/Cobbs and picking up a top guard/DB in FA would be just an ideal offseason. Or - swapping Cousins and drafting one of those other positions. 

I like that off-season.

12 hours ago, Forge said:

It amazes me that somehow JT Barrett will be a 4 year starter at a program like OSU. He's just terrible

Rare for a guy to start as a freshman at a program like OSU, and look good doing it.  But it looks to me like he's gone downhill almost every year.  He didn't look good last week and looked absolutely awful yesterday. Looked like a completely lost freshman rather than a 4-year veteran. With the playoffs likely already out of the question after that beatdown maybe they'll give their new freshman QB some reps.  Their second stringer has a broken hand, but both their 3rd and 4th stringers were high potential guys.  So maybe there's something there they can try.  Barrett looks like a lost cause.

I know that OSU's new OC is supposed to be some kind of offensive genius but that was some really bad looking offense out there yesterday. Bad scheme, bad execution, no deception, no adjustments, on 3rd and less than 10 they threw short of the sticks four times! (and you all know how much I've hated watching the 49ers do that over the past few seasons), a lot of plays that were wholly obvious and predictable, and two potential NFL RBs on the team yet Barrett carried the ball more than the two of them combined.  Just awful start to his career at OSU.

Archived