2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

47 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Rosen with 820 yards in  two games on a 68% completion rate for 9 TDs and no Ints.  Not a bad start to the season for someone who wants to be the first pick in the draft.

Rosen is my dream draft pick for next year. He makes some bad decisions every once in awhile, but physically he's everything you look for in a QB. Him and Mason Rudolph throw some of the prettiest balls you'll see. 

48 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Rosen is my dream draft pick for next year. He makes some bad decisions every once in awhile, but physically he's everything you look for in a QB. Him and Mason Rudolph throw some of the prettiest balls you'll see. 

I still prefer Darnold to Rosen, but those are my numbers 1 and 2 so far. 

Lamar Jackson is my #1 guy, and I first thought he's not cut out for Shanny this and that. But with such a small sample size of what Kyle "prefers" in his QB's I went back to what his dad worked with. Steve Young and John Elway were his biggest successes so I wouldn't assume Jackson with his skill set is out of the question for Shanny. Bobby Petrino has NFL experience so theres a chance LJ's understanding of a complex offense is better than we know. Rosen and Darnold are safer bets right now, and probably a couple more names too. But if he continues to improve his decision making and accuracy dont be surprised if he hurdles guys to the top 5. 

Found a pretty good read if you want to hop on my LJ bandwagon, theres plenty of room! (its a party bus with middle aged strippers and a midget DJ who plays way too much Usher) 

http://settingedge.com/lamar-jackson-pro-ready 

36 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I know it's not necessarily meaningful, but call me grateful that the Simmie Cobbs, Jr. hype train doesn't appear to have quite taken off yet: 

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/news/2018-nfl-draft-blend-of-toughness-speed-pushes-usc-running-back-into-top-20/

CBS really loves Mason Rudolph. They have since last year. I don't get that much love for him. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

CBS really loves Mason Rudolph. They have since last year. I don't get that much love for him. 

Over Darnold/Rosen, me neither. Over Allen, after early season struggles, I get that one at the moment. 

That said, if Rudolph continues to play like he has been, I'll understand it more and more. Thought he has been impressive this early in the CFB season. I'm all for 'the more the merrier' this year when it comes to QBs. I mean, there's a chance this will be like 2014 and a really good QB might fall to the top of the 2nd. Of course, that's where I want Cobbs. Very conflicted. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Over Darnold/Rosen, me neither. Over Allen, after early season struggles, I get that one at the moment. 

That said, if Rudolph continues to play like he has been, I'll understand it more and more. Thought he has been impressive this early in the CFB season. I'm all for 'the more the merrier' this year when it comes to QBs. I mean, there's a chance this will be like 2014 and a really good QB might fall to the top of the 2nd. Of course, that's where I want Cobbs. Very conflicted. 

See, I haven't been impressed a ton with Rudolph this year. At least not to the "lets fawn over this guy as a number one quarterback". Level of competition is not good and I've been more impressed with what i saw last year (again, early in the season and he's played some bad teams this year, so the sample is much different). Sure, he's putting up pretty stats, but what I'm seeing on` the field isn't all that impressive. Rarely if ever goes more than one receiver deep on his progressions. Doesn't read the entire field except very rarely; keeps largely to one half. I I think I saw him do it three times in the Tulsa game. The first time, he went all Josh Allen and wanted to throw it long across his body, which rarely ends well (his was picked as he was hit when he threw). The second time he got flushed to the opposite side of primary read, so he really didn't read the entire field - he just happened to get pushed to the opposite side, putting it right in front of him (also resulted in a horrible pass). He had a good one late in the game though. He stares down receivers like nobody's business. On long developing routes  I'd rather him have trust and knowledge of the routes, start by looking off safeties, etc. He was bailed out by his receivers a couple of times in that game. 

I get what people love. He has the great size, arm is good. Throws a really nice deep out, which is an NFL caliber throw. Deep ball is a little sketchy...I'd rather when he miss that he missed long as opposed to short. He's not throwing into your typical wide open spaces with that offense...he will throw into some tighter windows which I like. 

I really like Rudolph, I was hoping he would come out last year and we could somehow snag him in the second round. I think he's going to rise a lot during the pre-draft process. I think the questions about his ability to read a defense are legit, but that is not something that I think would hold him back long. There are plenty of guys who came out of less than ideal college offenses who have adapted just fine. Rosen is still my top guy, Darnolds mechanics are pretty off-putting to me but he clearly has talent, and Josh Allen has a lot of moments that remind me of some of the things Kap did here, which scares the hell out of me. Allen also makes some pretty phenomenal plays at times, but I feel like he is a hug gamble. I think Rudolph is going to be a first rounder, but time will tell how high he will climb. I honestly haven't really watched too much of Lamar Jackson, I will probably get around to that one of these Saturdays.  

Lamar Jackson is so exciting. But can he work in Shanahan's offense? Does he even take snaps from under center? Only seen a little of him, but it appears he's never ask to line up under center and drop back. That might take a while to learn if he's never done it before. Wouldn't be sad if the 49ers pulled the trigger on him though. If Darnold/Rosen are gone. :)

When Rudolph and Okla St. actually play and defeat someone of note, then perhaps I will begin to understand the hype. Just never been impressed. I know, you guys are probably thinking "He's on the other side of this rivalry, of course he feels that way". But I respond to OSU fans with "We win 79% of the time--how are you a rival?!" Now Texas, that is another story...definitely a rival for my Sooners.

Did you hear what Siri may say if asked "Who owns Ohio stadium?"? She may respond with "Baker Mayfield". Several of my friends and family have tried it--and it worked! B|

Nobody has talked much about Luke Falk in this thread, and someone brought this up in the draft thread, so I figured I'd mention it as well in here. I spewed some hatred for Luke Falk last year when there was thought that he may come out, and while I do think that he sometimes throws a very nice pass, he's purely propped up on the back of that gimmicky system. He's 3-13 on passes thrown 10 yards or further past the line, and in the last game, his back up came in and went 25/33, 240, 3/1 compared to Falk's 24/34, 193, 0/1. It's all system with him. Can't be anything more than a late round flyer in my opinion. 

FWIW I saw Falk twice last year and was very UNimpressed.  Could have caught a couple of his bad games.  But we've got a whole season to see what he's got, and how much he might have improved.  Will say again, best year to be looking for a QB I think I can ever remember.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Nobody has talked much about Luke Falk in this thread, and someone brought this up in the draft thread, so I figured I'd mention it as well in here. I spewed some hatred for Luke Falk last year when there was thought that he may come out, and while I do think that he sometimes throws a very nice pass, he's purely propped up on the back of that gimmicky system. He's 3-13 on passes thrown 10 yards or further past the line, and in the last game, his back up came in and went 25/33, 240, 3/1 compared to Falk's 24/34, 193, 0/1. It's all system with him. Can't be anything more than a late round flyer in my opinion. 

I mentioned Falk a few pages back. Almost all his passes are 10 yards or below. Definitely isn't on my radar.

Archived