2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Rosen did some good things but got very lucky on a few passes. He has a lot of nice tools though. Holds on to the ball a bit too long, but like how he looked off the safety a few times. Rosen did go against mainly man coverage at the end though. Didn't really have to make too many touch decisions. 

Yeah.  Not to take anything away from his performance but A&M gave that game away. Running hurry up midway through the 4th with a huge lead - announcers even commented on how little sense that made.  Then throwing so often late in the game when they had like 400 rushing yards and virtually  nothing passing.  Plus one TD went right through a defenders hands - he literally had both hands on it and let it slip right through them.  Then another TD he just threw for grabs. I don't even think the guy that caught it was his intended target.

Still, he made a ton of really nice throws.  And he saw the field well and seemed to always be throwing to the right receiver.  Plus of course coming back from a bad beat up he took in the first half. Certainly goes down as leading just about the best comeback of all time - and it was all him doing it. He did seem to be limping badly after one hit, and seemed to me to be limping a bit all the time late in the game.  I wonder if there is an  injury there, or some kind of injury concern about that knee of his.

25 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lamar Jackson looked really good as well. All the top three consensus QBs showed their flaws in week 1. Rudolph may be the guy who gets more and more top 5 hype as the season goes on. 

Jackson and Rudolph would be the guys who benefit the most to me as well. 

15 hours ago, big9erfan said:

Gonna be hard to tell how good Rosen  can be if he spends the whole saeason on his butt like he is today.  The last series before the half he had his first pass knocked down at the line and then he was hit - hard, on the next three downs.  Pretty much been happening all game.  Also, he limped off badly so I hope he is well.

Well I guess we know now what he can do if he gets a little bit of protection!

2 hours ago, 48 1/2ers said:

Darnold played fine but I didnt see the unquestioned #1 overall QB against Western Michigan. He still has a good amount to prove. Allen crapped the bed against one of his few challenges this season. But as a whole Iowa is on another level than Wyoming. I think we're going to see more than these 3 names in play for the first QB's selected with Luke Faulk, Mason Rudolph, and even some Baker Mayfield thrown in with Rosen, Darnold, and Allen. 

As I mentioned a bit back I've already seen multiple mocks with Rudolph ahead of Allen.  Anyone who had Allen ahead of Rudolph that is doing a new mock after this past week might well consider that ranking.

And you need to put Browning in there too.  Too bad about Francois or he'd be there too.  Still this is going to be the best year for QBs in quite a while.  Even after that top 6 to 8 there seem to be more guys coming out that are better than almost all of this year's choices. Great year for trying to find a QB!

10 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Is that a good thing or not?

I think Vick had the superior arm to Jackson, but yes, I think that can be considered a good thing from an on the field standpoint. There were massive flaws in Vick's game, no doubt about that, but electricity as well. Discounting the off the field issues for Vick, I don't think that Atlanta would have regretted that pick. 

5 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

As I mentioned a bit back I've already seen multiple mocks with Rudolph ahead of Allen.  Anyone who had Allen ahead of Rudolph that is doing a new mock after this past week might well consider that ranking.

And you need to put Browning in there too.  Too bad about Francois or he'd be there too.  Still this is going to be the best year for QBs in quite a while.  Even after that top 6 to 8 there seem to be more guys coming out that are better than almost all of this year's choices. Great year for trying to find a QB!

I don't think that anyone should be fully re-evaluating their positional rankings after one game, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot more people starting to push Rudolph over Allen. Too early for me though. 

I don't think that Browning will ever get serious pub as a first rounder. I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening right now. I do think that you'll start seeing more love for Baker Mayfield though, especially after week two if he's able to have a lights out game against OSU, on the road, facing a team on an extended rest. That would be very impressive. 

Yea I'm not a fan of Browning at all. He's a smaller stature, weaker armed guy who wilts in big games. There's a lot of people who point to the surrounding talent of other QBs as a negative, and rightly so, I think Browning is the opposite, he has had NFL talent surrounding him since being at Washington. 

38 minutes ago, big9erfan said:

Still this is going to be the best year for QBs in quite a while.  Even after that top 6 to 8 there seem to be more guys coming out that are better than almost all of this year's choices. Great year for trying to find a QB!

The flip side of the senior QBs playing well is that a lot of the top guys in this draft are Juniors. Darnold, Allen, Rosen, Jackson, and even Francois and Browning - they're all capable of staying at school to try for better the next year. I mean look at Browning - right now there could be as many as 10 guys taken in front of him if all declare, meaning he might not get swiped until the 4th or later. Would almost certainly go higher in 2019. 

5 hours ago, Forge said:

I don't think that anyone should be fully re-evaluating their positional rankings after one game, but yeah, I wouldn't be surprised if you see a lot more people starting to push Rudolph over Allen. Too early for me though. 

I don't think that Browning will ever get serious pub as a first rounder. I could be wrong, but I don't see it happening right now. I do think that you'll start seeing more love for Baker Mayfield though, especially after week two if he's able to have a lights out game against OSU, on the road, facing a team on an extended rest. That would be very impressive. 

Mayfield will pop way up there if he plays well this weekend and leads an upset win over OSU.

Archived