2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 minute ago, 48 1/2ers said:

I think Jake Browning is a far better QB than Faulk. Jake Browning as the season goes on with get more love. UW's cupcake schedule isnt helping anything

I like Browning more than Falk, but I'm not a Browning supporter either. Peterson does an amazing job of putting his quarterbacks in a position to succeed. I really want to see Browning have a good game against a legitimate team and defense as well.

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I like Browning more than Falk, but I'm not a Browning supporter either. Peterson does an amazing job of putting his quarterbacks in a position to succeed. I really want to see Browning have a good game against a legitimate team and defense as well.

I'm in the same boat. I can't get the Kellen Moore comparison out of my head when I see Browning.

1 hour ago, Fureys49ers said:

I'm in the same boat. I can't get the Kellen Moore comparison out of my head when I see Browning.

I've been following Browning's career since he was a HS phenom.. I think he has the national record for TD passes in a career.  Threw 91 TDs as a senior (think about that a bit) with only 7 ints.  And I do think he reads defenses with the best of them.  Having said that I think the Kellen Moore comparison is fair. The question in my mind is ... is he Kellen Moore, or a much improved version of Moore?

FWIW, I have been rather impressed by Browning...I would take him perhaps as high as 3rd or 4th round. Definitely not my 1st choice for '18, though. Darnold, Allen, Mayfield (still have my doubts about his size--I don't see 6'2" and 220lbs when I look at him...) would be on my wishlist. Rosen and Rudolph not so much. Just my personal preference.

19 hours ago, big9erfan said:

I've been following Browning's career since he was a HS phenom.. I think he has the national record for TD passes in a career.  Threw 91 TDs as a senior (think about that a bit) with only 7 ints.  And I do think he reads defenses with the best of them.  Having said that I think the Kellen Moore comparison is fair. The question in my mind is ... is he Kellen Moore, or a much improved version of Moore?

What's the improved version of Kellen Moore? Cody Kessler?

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

FWIW, I have been rather impressed by Browning...I would take him perhaps as high as 3rd or 4th round. Definitely not my 1st choice for '18, though. Darnold, Allen, Mayfield (still have my doubts about his size--I don't see 6'2" and 220lbs when I look at him...) would be on my wishlist. Rosen and Rudolph not so much. Just my personal preference.

Rosen should be way up there. Kid can flat out play. Right now, he has an argument to be  the top quarterback chosen. He's been better than Allen for sure, and is probably more pro ready at this point, which pains me to say as an Allen supporter. I get the doubts on Rudolph - I see a lot of things that make me wonder if he can transition to the next level.

1 minute ago, big9erfan said:

How about splitting the difference between Moore and Brees?

That's ambitious. Not impossible...I don't think Browning has nearly the tools Brees had coming out, but if you're splitting the difference, not impossible. Not really who the comp would be in that case. Maybe a less talented Chad Pennington?

Some pretty good early games going right now with Josh Rosen vs Riley Ferguson and Mason Rudolph playing against Pitt. Three QBs to keep an eye on.

Edit : Rosen has looked pretty good throughout this game but Riley Ferguson and his favorite WR Anthony Miller are having an awefully good game as well. More impressed with those two right now, even though UCLAs defense has proven to be pretty bad, than I have been with arisen up to this point. By no means a knock on Rosen but more of shout out to Ferguson and Miller.

Rudolph also had himself one hell of a half and seems to have 3 WRs that have a lot of talent.

1 hour ago, big9erfan said:

Add Ferguson to the really big list of good looking qbs coming out

Ferguson has always intrigued me as a sort of less glorified Josh Allen. He'll probably need sometime to develop both mentally and physically as I think he's only like 215 tops at 6'4" but he's got a great arm and he plays with great energy and excitement. Seems like his teammates love him as the leader of that team.

Painful watching Allen. He's entering go back to school territory. I expected a regression on the stat sheet based on talent lost on that team, but he seems completely overwhelmed. I gave last years tape a second round grade...so far this year he's putting out udfa, late round flyer stuff. Looking like another Dan LeFevour at this point. Just hard to watch. 

22 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Josh Allen is not even close to a 1st round prospect. Going back to school is probably a must. 

Yeah, this is bad. He's actually regressed from an on the field stand point. He looks far worse this year than last, even in the games where they were outclassed last year. I mean, you go back and watch that Nebraska game, yeah, it turned ugly, but you could definitely see the positives. I'm not seeing the guy I saw last year- this is the negative Josh Allen from last year, just all the time.  I'm not sure what's going on, but if he gets a first round grade from the advisory board at this point, it would be a joke. Granted, still a long season with quite a few more games left to play, and if he goes out on a high note, that could turn it around from a draft standpoint, but right now...just no. I'd rather take a shot on Baker Mayfield to be perfectly honest. The lack of talent argument only gets you so far - Jay Cutler had no talent on his team in the SEC and he still put together some nice looking stuff.

Archived