2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course Fitzpatrick is an option, but he may not be there. 

One thing people have been kind of downplaying is just how good Reid was at covering opposing TEs last year. There is a reason most of them were held in check. With Reid likely gone, we need someone to take over those responsibilities. Tartt is a stud, but not sure if he is that guy either. 

I think Tartt could evolve in that area just like Reid did. Remember Reid was not a cover man safety as a prospect nor his first few years as a pro. He developed those skills over time. Dont see any reason why Tartt can't. He's already improved quite in bit in coverage. He keeps evolving, no reason why he can't.

I  just can't see us taking a safety@9. If we stay@9 it has to address a need IMO. Pick needs to be O-Line, CB, or pass-rush. Now if we trade back and acquire another pick, all bets are off. Think you go BPA depending on your board and address needs later. 

Tartt could develop into that guy one day, but he's really good playing closer to the LOS. His coverage skills definitely improved but think James is on another level in that area.

We could go in a lot of directions, but we should get a better idea after free agency. 

9 hours ago, Forge said:

I think nelson goes to Tampa at 7 depending on what Denver does at qb. If they go with keenum, they could take nelson at 5

If they go Keenum, I think they go Allen or Mayfield at 5. Keenum isn't stopping them from taking a QB that early in the draft. 

15 hours ago, John232 said:

What are your issues with him? I look at his incredible 2016..was 2017 disappointing? Yes, but wasn't he playing through a pretty bad injury and getting consistently double and triple teamed?

I haven't watched much tape from him, but I see a guy who is aggressive, has really good bend and quick twitch. And his combine just sort of backed some of that up. He might not be powerful no Chubb, but from what i've seen he's one of the undersized (a bit) but violent like a Dumerville. Considering the importance of the position, I wouldn't hate it if we picked him. I'd still prefer the LBers, Nelson (obviously), and Barkley..but that's it. 

I have several issues with him. I went through it in another thread. Bad against hte run, lacks any real power in the pass rush game. I don't think that he converts his speed to power very well. Lacks a refined pass rush game with essentially two moves - speed to the outside and speed under. He has no counter moves. No hand usage. This is not a major concern (that's what you have coaching fore), but he's not an advanced pass rusher in that regard, may never be.. I think he'll struggle on athletic tackles who can keep up with the first step. Struggles to shed blocks and once linemen get their hands on him, he doesn't have the strength to disengage or the counter moves to work it out.  I simply think that he's a much bigger project than people are thinking. He's getting another rush in draft crushes because of his combine numbers, but  The combine didn't change anything for me - it basically just confirmed everything that was already out there - he's fast and athletic and explosive. His numbers were a tiny bit more impressive than I thought they would be, but almost everyone's were on the defensive side of the football this combine. Some of the numbers people put up were ridiculous. 

I don't hate the guy, I'm just on the lower end of his range (late first - second), but he's definitely not clean enough for me to take in the top 10. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Just don't see Rosen falling out of the top 5-6. I know there has been a lot of talk of the Browns going Barkley at #1, but I'd still bet money it is either Rosen or Darnold. 

I feel it's very unlikely that it's Rosen given Dorsey's previous comments about him, the insinuation by Rosen about going there, etc. I think he has no shot at being number one unless someone trade up there. I know Scot M has loved Baker forever and a day. Allen has similar traits to Mahomes who Dorsey traded up for last year (though we don't know if that was Dorsey or Reid who wanted to make that deal). I think it can be any of those three or Barkley at #1. If they prefer BAker, I Really wouldn't be shocked by Barkley #1 / Baker #4. 

6 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

About the best he could have hoped for. He will stumble a bit, but I'd be very surprised if he wasn't still a second round pick. Daniels has easily passed him up though at this point. But Price could be a legit option at our #2. 

Guy we haven't talked about in a while in Cobbs. Honestly, I think we can probably get him in round 5, now. His combine was not ideal. I still like what he brings to the table if for nothing else a niche role. 

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

Guy we haven't talked about in a while in Cobbs. Honestly, I think we can probably get him in round 5, now. His combine was not ideal. I still like what he brings to the table if for nothing else a niche role. 

Cobbs won't last that long. Nothing he did @ the combine changed my mind. Still a day 2 pick. Big body wr with the ability to make DB miss once u gets the ball in his hands. I still go with my Michael Thomas comparison even though Cobbs isn't quite the athlete Thomas is.

Archived