2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

Been watching film of guys that will go after our 9th pick and before our second. Found a new guy to love in this draft.  We're not getting him, but wow does Christian Kirk ever look like a stud to me.  If Shanny wants to keep throwing that quick WR screen he's the guy I want catching it.

Okay, after reading Fourth and Nine's article on Derwin James...I will no longer argue against drafting him. They were very persuasive in the kind of impact James could potentially have. So, IMO, if we are going to try Ward out at Corner, it makes perfect sense to draft James--though I am certain someone else already said that, just agreeing with whoever did. 

Still would rather have Nelson, but James/Smith/Edmunds would make me happy.

56 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So I guess it comes down to if Lynch wants to take on another potential character risk. Personally? Good luck building a team with no character risks lol.

I mean Bowman had character concerns coming out of Penn State. He ended up being a great locker room guy. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

I mean Bowman had character concerns coming out of Penn State. He ended up being a great locker room guy. 

Of course, and there have been cases of guys with no risks that ended up being big time trouble makers. I mean was Aldon Smith seen as a guy with any risks when he was drafted?

1 minute ago, 49erurtaza said:

The only thing that worries me is drugs. Bows issues weren't drug related from what I can remember, they were fight related. Drug issues have a way of just sticking around, and that's a major concern with key. Mcshay says that he's talked to teams that feel key is too dependent on it. 

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Of course, and there have been cases of guys with no risks that ended up being big time trouble makers. I mean was Aldon Smith seen as a guy with any risks when he was drafted?

Nope, there were no character flags on smith, though I think the drugs we're just unknown. If you're smart about it, it may not pop up

1 hour ago, Forge said:

I've been saying for a while now that I think there's a legit shot he falls to round 3. I think there's a really good shot he's there in round 2 at our pick. 

Sweat and Davenport seem to be our favourites judging by the pro day visits of the coaching staff:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article207275334.html

1 hour ago, AustrianNiner said:

Sweat and Davenport seem to be our favourites judging by the pro day visits of the coaching staff:

http://www.sacbee.com/sports/nfl/san-francisco-49ers/article207275334.html

Sweat could be had in the second, I'm reasonably sure, and I like that. His athleticism is off the charts, but his on the field play doesn't quite match up to what he posted, so maybe it's just coaching. 

Davenport would require #9, I'm sure. That's risky. Not unprecedented - Ziggy Ansah was very similar in college in that he didn't completely dominate at the collegiate level, but was raw and drafted solely on potential. He played at a slightly higher level than Davenport, but not like BYU is a monster either. 

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I would be okay if we picked Landry or Sweat but I really have issues with Davenport. If he is really all that, then why didn't he produce more at the level he is at? 

But he did produce at a high level...he was DPOY for CoUSA. Not sure what else you're looking for...maybe higher sack total? 

6 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

Okay, after reading Fourth and Nine's article on Derwin James...I will no longer argue against drafting him. They were very persuasive in the kind of impact James could potentially have. So, IMO, if we are going to try Ward out at Corner, it makes perfect sense to draft James--though I am certain someone else already said that, just agreeing with whoever did. 

Welcome to the dark side. 

7 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I’m on board with James. I think he could excel at pretty much every position in the secondary. The dude is a baller for sure.

Archived