2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

24 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

I wouldn’t mind going after him! He definitely checks the box on the type of corners we like. Would we take a look at him at pick 9 or trade back? I remember someone mentioned Oliver before as well. I’m intrigued 

8 minutes ago, StevenK said:

I wouldn’t mind going after him! He definitely checks the box on the type of corners we like. Would we take a look at him at pick 9 or trade back? I remember someone mentioned Oliver before as well. I’m intrigued 

Second round I would think

23 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I've been on the Oliver train for a while. He's not making it out of the 1st, and if he does, definitely not to the 59th pick. 

Would agree at minimum you're trading up in the second. Am starting to see him in some first round mocks now, so it looks like it's cranking up for him. Hadn't seen that before. Hughes has fallen quite a bit in response. Interesting. 

39 minutes ago, the-catch said:

Brett Kollman has us going DE at 9. Not the first and the closer we get I expect more mocks to do the same. 

9. 49ers:  Harold Landry, EDGE, Boston College

- Landry is a flame thrower coming off the edge, which is just what the Niners need to fill out their defensive line. He can be a great situational pass rusher as a rookie, or potentially even a starting LEO. He'll have a bunch of double-digit sack seasons.

He has us taking Landry with Fitz and Roquan still on the board. I'm not a huge fan of Fitz because I'm unsure of his fit in our defense but I would prefer Smith over Landry. That said I'm putting my money on us taking Landry at 9 unless we trade back, regardless of whose on the board.

3 hours ago, StevenK said:

I like him too, but not at all at 9. Maybe if we traded back. But with Sherman on board and ward being given a try I just don't see us using a first round pick on a cb. 

2 hours ago, the-catch said:

Brett Kollman has us going DE at 9. Not the first and the closer we get I expect more mocks to do the same. 

We need a pass rush more than anything. I don't want to reach for one if none is good enough for a high pick. But if Landry is, or if davenport is then fine. More and more I think it comes down to one of those two or Smith or Edmunds. I think the latter two are better but our management probably will spend a whole lot of time deciding between those guys, and maybe a couple of others. 

6 hours ago, Forge said:

I'm just talking strictly athletically. I get his appeal for teams because what he can do, you can't teach. But the draft graveyard is littered with the bodies of similar people. You can look at a guy like Barkevious Mingo, who Sweat is pretty similar to. I'm not saying he's the guy or he becomes a stud, but there's a reason that he'd be looked at in rounds 2 / 3. Guys like Ejifor, or Greene, Armstrong, they are looked at in the second and third rounds based on what they have done on film as much as what they could grow into. Sweat is looked at in that range based purely on the high upside potential of his athleticism and what he could potentially bring if it ever all clicked in spite of his tape for the most part. At least in my opinion. So I just think saying he doesn't have high end potential is wrong - he's the one guy in that range that probably has the highest end potential out of the comparable prospects. But there's a really good chance that he completely busts - I don't think that he has a middle ground where he could be a nice rotational piece or something. 

Sure I see that his combo performance was good. But I dont think anyone believes his potential is as high as Landry or davenport. That's the kind of "high end" I was talking about. As long as I have to hope a guy becomes everything people are thinking he might than I might as well hope that one of those two guys becomes a pro bowler. 

5 hours ago, Geek said:

He has us taking Landry with Fitz and Roquan still on the board. I'm not a huge fan of Fitz because I'm unsure of his fit in our defense but I would prefer Smith over Landry. That said I'm putting my money on us taking Landry at 9 unless we trade back, regardless of whose on the board.

I think that if Landry is worth taking in the first at all, then he's worth being taken at 9. There lies the entire question with me. It's the stuff I don't know that determines his draft value. It's the things you get only from talking with him, his coaches, his momma, etc. It's the football mind, the love for the game, the dedication, the work ethics, the coachability. I can't determine any of that myself. But if he checks those boxes with our front office, then hell yeah, take him at 9. If he doesn't, don't take him at 9. Don't trade back and take him at 15. Don't take him at 25. Maybe take him at 59 (although he won't be there).

My gut feeling, and my impression of what I've heard and read from him, is that he checks at least a few of those boxes. Every year we nitpick at prospects, looking at all the ways they might bust in the NFL, but I feel we're just being cautious and covering our bases. For fans and amateur scouts like us, it takes a leap of faith, at some point. Some prospects give us tape that makes us want to make that leap, others don't. Some come with character red flags that temper our expectations, others don't. Medicals, same thing. In Landry's case, I'm willing to make that leap. And if we take him at 9 (or better yet, with a small trade back), then I will have the confidence our staff did their homework and checked those boxes, and I will be believing Landry is going to be the stud pass rusher we've been missing since Aldon went full Aldon. 

In other words: a Harold Landry with our staff's seal of approval > Roquan Smith/Minkah with our staff's seal of approval. If he doesn't check all the boxes, then don't even consider him at all, not even in a trade back scenario. 

11 hours ago, Forge said:

Would agree at minimum you're trading up in the second. Am starting to see him in some first round mocks now, so it looks like it's cranking up for him. Hadn't seen that before. Hughes has fallen quite a bit in response. Interesting. 

I actually think the opposite with Hughes. I see him going a lot higher than people think. Maybe even in the top 15-18 range. 

If Chubb is still on the board at 6, what would you guys give up to move up to get him?

Btw based on the generic draft charts giving up our second is a little overboard, giving up our first third is right about an even trade.  I’d be willing to give up our second and maybe a later round pick as well to go up and get him. Feel like our DL is set at that point for years to come. 

I wouldn't trade up for Chubb because he's not a good enough pass rusher IMO. He rushes better from the edge than Thomas, but not better than Landry who should be available at #9. 

@big9erfan as for Ward trying CB, Maiocco thinks it's only for the offseason until Sherman gets healthy and then he will be moved back to FS. Looking at our roster, we really do lack corners for OTAs, minicamp, etc. 

24 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I wouldn't trade up for Chubb because he's not a good enough pass rusher IMO. He rushes better from the edge than Thomas, but not better than Landry who should be available at #9. 

@big9erfan as for Ward trying CB, Maiocco thinks it's only for the offseason until Sherman gets healthy and then he will be moved back to FS. Looking at our roster, we really do lack corners for OTAs, minicamp, etc. 

This is why I think the pick may still end up being Ward, who could have a real argument for BPA depending on how the draft plays out in the first eight picks. Denzel Ward is going to be really good, and he plays at a premium position. I'm as excited about d!ck sherman as the next guy, but he is not a long-term solution. Ward could be, and if you can get a pro-bowl level long term solution at CB (what I believe Ward will be in the NFL) at the #9 pick, you could do a hell of a lot worse.

Archived