2018 Draft Thread I

Forge

On 2/16/2018 at 2:32 PM, Forge said:

Why? Edmunds is more versatile, potentially has more upside. Kid is only 19 years old right now, I think. Can play multiple linebacker spots in multiple schemes.  Roquan no doubt comes with a higher immediate starting point, but he's restricted almost solely to WILL at the NFL level. Can't shed blocks. Really just a case of pick your poison. 

Roquan is more polished. Just my gut instinct on what lynch looks for on defense considering he was a fundamentally sound football player himself. 

I don't know a lot about edmunds to be fair. 

I've talked in the past about athletes vs football players. Vernon Davis was an athlete, Pat Willis was a football player who was also a great athlete. Big difference. I think given the choice lynch will take a more polished football player over someone who is raw... But who really knows 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Ya'll could take Edmunds, give me Smith. No need to overthink it here.

Smith will be a Pro Bowler on the next level. Probably a bit below Foster in terms of prospect, but not THAT far off. 

As a player on the field, I liked Foster much more as a prospect than Smith...Foster obviously came with some additional caveats though which probably evened them out 

IF we draft Roquan, that will basically mean that Malcolm Smith is a complete waste of money for three years though. Neither one of them should be playing anywhere other than the WILL spot. Not saying that we shouldn't draft Roquan because of that, but it's true. 

Malcolm Smith isn't some great player that he holds me from drafting someone of the caliber of R. Smith.

And if he adds some weight, he could be competent in shedding blocks. His sideline to sideline speed would be great going up against the likes of Gurley and Johnson twice a season. 

1 hour ago, Forge said:

As a player on the field, I liked Foster much more as a prospect than Smith...Foster obviously came with some additional caveats though which probably evened them out 

IF we draft Roquan, that will basically mean that Malcolm Smith is a complete waste of money for three years though. Neither one of them should be playing anywhere other than the WILL spot. Not saying that we shouldn't draft Roquan because of that, but it's true. 

It's also a bit hindsight to say that too. We obviously had no idea Foster was gonna be a thing for us OR that Foster was going to mess it up to the point where drafting another LB seems likely. 

Also, would I be mistaken in saying that I think we should probably find a way, if possibly, to move Foster to the Will? Despite his amazing play, I could still see him being a better WILL 

16 hours ago, Forge said:

I think you may be being a bit too inflexible about these LB positions. 

People though Bowman as a prospect had very little chance as a MLB. Dude turned out plenty beast enough to handle it.

I for one am not shoving Smith in that tight categorization. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

People though Bowman as a prospect had very little chance as a MLB. Dude turned out plenty beast enough to handle it.

Right, some added weight/strength and he will be just fine. Folks start to overthink things this time of the year. Smith is a flat out beast and has Pro Bowl potential. 

Anyways, Kiper released his latest mock draft today and has Rosen falling to #11. That would be GREAT for us as a team like the Bills would likely to want to move up and take him. We could probably get around the same level of player at 21 in this draft than at 9 or 10. And we would probably get both their 1st rounders this year or at least a 1st and a 1st in 2019.

8 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Right, some added weight/strength and he will be just fine. Folks start to overthink things this time of the year. Smith is a flat out beast and has Pro Bowl potential. 

Anyways, Kiper released his latest mock draft today and has Rosen falling to #11. That would be GREAT for us as a team like the Bills would likely to want to move up and take him. We could probably get around the same level of player at 21 in this draft than at 9 or 10. And we would probably get both their 1st rounders this year or at least a 1st and a 1st in 2019.

I think of Lavante Davis as well. Dropped in the draft because he was "too" small but dude could cover ground. Add some weight and he's been fine.

19 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Everyone always just assumes that adding weight  won't impact his game, which isn't the case. There's no telling how the body responds to that. 

1 hour ago, oldman9er said:

Not at all. I have far less concerns of transitioning from a 4-3 olb to a 3-4 ilb like Bowman did because they can share responsibilities / roles with either OLB position in a 4-3, and I've advocated for that type of position change plenty of times (I wanted us to draft Ramik Wilson because I thought he could convert to an ILB) . It's a different story transitioning from one position within the same scheme to another that has a completely different role and responsibility and requires them to do different things. He struggles shedding blocks in college, yet we are going to assume that he's going to be better at it in the NFL against better and bigger players? Perhaps he does put on weight and strength, advances with better technique without losing any speed and athleticism. Its possible, but thats not who he is right now. Right now he's a 225-230 pound Will I want to be able to able to roam freely without having to battle offensive linemen constantly. I want him freelancing as much as possible. 

I'm a huge Smith fan, and I do think he's the better prospect than Edmunds, but he's not flawless, and I wouldn't want to put him in a position where I think he's going to succeed less. 

He struggles shedding blocks in college, yet we are going to assume that he's going to be better at it in the NFL against better and bigger players?

In this hypothetical, yes. I will assume it.. just as once upon a time SF assumed Bowman could get better at it. Worked out great; he did. I thought as you once did about Bowman. I was mistaken. I lumped him into a specific category. 

Same knock against Smith now. Bowman proved that wrong... and by the looks of it, so can R Smith, imho. 

On 2/21/2018 at 9:11 AM, oldman9er said:

In this hypothetical, yes. I will assume it.. just as once upon a time SF assumed Bowman could get better at it. Worked out great; he did. I thought as you once did about Bowman. I was mistaken. I lumped him into a specific category. 

Same knock against Smith now. Bowman proved that wrong... and by the looks of it, so can R Smith, imho. 

But the Bowman comp is poor. That's not what we are talking about. The ILB in a 3-4 can share similar responsibilities with either 4-3 OLB spot depending on which ILB you're going to utilize them at.That's a completely different transition than the one we are talking about. We aren't debating moving Smith to the inside in a 3-4 scheme, we are debating whether or not he would hang on the strong side of a 4-3 defense

I don't know who or what is being debated, if it's not about whether R Smith would play at MLB or WLB. I thought you were saying Smith could not play MLB, and would be forced to play WLB, thereby making other dude useless. 

That's what I thought was being discussed, but if I'm wrong, my bad.. no prob. Been a busy and chaotic morning for me. 

edit:

had a moment to go back and read... and like I thought.. this stood out in your post:

I am aware of the differences between the MLB and WLB of this scheme. IIRC, I was the first person here to gush over this scheme, and discuss how it works. IMO, neither Smith should be forced into "only fitting" one or the other spot.

Archived